PDA

View Full Version : Taught my first class

Jim Ketron
12-18-2005, 12:27 AM
Had my first bowl turning class at Woodcraft today, lots of work but fun!
There were 4 students 2 had never turned before one had only turned pens and one has turned a few bowls. So lots of questions had to be answered and pretty much had to go over the basics of lathe parts and how to use the chisels etc, etc, the class ran from 9 am to 5 pm. I think we all learned something and all went home with a green cherry bowl to dry and a dry ambrosia maple finished one. This class was more of a beginner’s class; I hope to do some more advanced classes also.
Here are a few happy new bowl turners!:D

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/1stclass10.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/1stclass9.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/1stclass11.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/1stclass7.jpg

Bernie Weishapl
12-18-2005, 12:32 AM
Hey Jim sounds like it all went well. Congrats. How far are you from Richmond, VA.? We get down to see the kids twice a year. If it wasn't to far you could give me lesson 101.:D

Robert Watsek
12-18-2005, 12:57 AM
Congratulations Jim !!! sounds like your first teaching experience went very well.

From the looks on some of those faces it would be hard to tell who got the most enjoyment the student or the teacher.........way to go Bud.:)

Bob

Rich Stewart
12-18-2005, 1:33 AM
Look at them faces. The look of pure satisfaction. makes me remember my first bowl and how proud I was. lol Four more hooked!

Keith Burns
12-18-2005, 8:25 AM
Way to go Jim ! Looking forward to your DVD.:D They all look very happy. Wish I could have been there.

John Hart
12-18-2005, 8:29 AM
Hey...that's great Jim!! You're filling the abyss with bodies!!! Happy faces...pure reward. Congratulations!:) :)

Ernie Nyvall
12-18-2005, 9:03 AM
That's great Jim. Congratulations!!!!

Teaching is a wonderful thing. Whether they continue in woodturning or not, you have given each one a smile and a story to tell of accomplishment. Not a bad thing to spread around this ole world.

Ernie

Andy Hoyt
12-18-2005, 9:04 AM
This boy has been busy.

Since mid-fall he's: launched a web site, demo'd at his club, and taught a class at Woodcraft!

What's next, Jim?

By the by, well done.

Chris Barton
12-18-2005, 9:05 AM
Hey Jim,

It looks like you had a class of very happy students. I bet you make a great teacher. I think you make have had a "ringer" in your class though. That guy in the bottom picture looks an awful lot like Nick Cook.

John Hart
12-18-2005, 9:07 AM
This boy has been busy.

Since mid-fall he's: launched a web site, demo'd at his club, and taught a class at Woodcraft!

What's next, Jim?

By the by, well done.

You forgot that he single-handedly cleared all the forests in Virginia.

Jim...Will you clean out my garage? It'll only take you a minute.;)

Adam Howard
12-18-2005, 9:20 AM
Very cool Jim!

I wish I had known, I'd have dropped in to see you.. I live about 10 minutes from the JC Woodcraft store. Jerry gets most of my $$.

Let me know if you plan to teach any advanced classes.

Adam.

Dick Parr
12-18-2005, 9:31 AM
Congratulations Jim, I am glad all went well and they all look like they had a good time.:)

Travis Stinson
12-18-2005, 11:23 AM
Way to go Jim! Looks like it was a very successful 1st time class.:)
Have you arranged to get a commission from the sales of lathes/tools to the fresh addicts?;)

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-18-2005, 11:42 AM
There you go getting some more folks to slide down the slippery slope. Way to go, Jim.

Bruce

Dennis Peacock
12-18-2005, 12:34 PM
Congrats Jim!!!!! You did real good. So when are you and Grumbine "tag teaming" for the next turning video?:p :D

Michael Stafford
12-18-2005, 12:38 PM
Most excellent, Jim!!! The prideful expressions on your student's faces tell the story. They went away with a sense of accomplishment and something to brag about. They look converted to me...now if you only gave them business cards with Ketron Tool Works on them it was a successful day...:D

John Miliunas
12-18-2005, 1:14 PM
Hey Jim, looks to have been a rewarding experience for instructor and student alike! Great job. You should be proud of yourself!:) Now, when you gonna' clone yourself and head over to our Woodcraft to teach?:D :cool:

Chip Sutherland
12-18-2005, 3:55 PM
I took a class at my local Woodcraft over 2 years ago. So thank you for your time/effort from someone who's taken a Woodcraft turning class. Mine lasted 3 sessions. I made a 'cheer stick' out of the spindle turning of beads/coves. We also made a goblet and a saki bowl out of mahogany. I didn't turn again for 2.5 years until I bought I bought my Jet Mini. What I learned was that turning is harder than I thought (or harder than Norm made it look).

Knowledge is power....but sharing knowledge is empowering.

Mark Cothren
12-18-2005, 4:47 PM
Way to go, Jim! Sounds like you all had a great time.

Richard Allen
12-18-2005, 5:02 PM
Way to go Jim. I have fond memories of my first teacher. I have always considered him one of the best woodturner I have ever known.

I have been teaching a class once a month for a few years. Teaching is a great way to infect others with the turning bug. It took me a year before I thought I knew what I was doing (I was dulusional as I am surprised by something in every class).

Carole Valentine
12-18-2005, 7:39 PM
Cool, Jim! I am not sure I would be able to teach someone else. That is definitley a gift. Looks like they all did a fine job on their first bowls.:)

Jim Ketron
12-18-2005, 10:06 PM
Thanks all for the comments!:) sory late getting back been gone all day!

Bernie, I live almost on the end of Va on the west side known as SW Va.

Andy, I don't Know yet but hope to do some more classes.

John, I need to take that approach myself for my own shop, its a mess;)

Adam, Will do Bud, I just need to get with Jerry and work something out on what I plan to teach and the amount he needs to charge.;)

Travis, Good Idea, I like the way you think:D

Dennis, I don't think I will ever be able to fit in his shoes

John M, Ya never know Bud, Maybe one of these days i might get an opportunity to do just that.

Jim Becker
12-18-2005, 10:25 PM
Teaching is a very giving, and therefore, rewarding thing to do. Bravo!

Sparky Paessler
12-19-2005, 10:10 AM
Great Jim! Looks like some happy Turners. Do you have any more classes scheduled?

Ron Ainge
12-19-2005, 11:34 AM
Jim I have not done a class on my own but I did spend two days helping people turn pens over Vetrens day weekend and then the next week I did Demos at a woodworking show in the Denver area. It is more than satisfying when someone comes up to you and thanks you for helping them find out something about turning. While doing the demo's some of the people who had turned pens the week before came by and told me they had or were going to buy a lathe because of there pen turning experience. I felt very good and I think that is probably how you felt after your class.. Congrats and keep up the good work.