PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Music

Lee DeRaud
12-17-2005, 11:56 PM
Given that my grip on the Christmas spirit is tenuous at best, the dreck that pours out of the speakers at the mall can conjure up a most un-holiday mood.

My personal "Favorite Holiday Music" list is headed by:

1. "I Believe In Father Christmas" by Emerson, Lake, and Palmer...truly stunning music combined with crushingly cynical lyrics.

2. "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen", as performed by Iron Butterfly (it starts about 12 minutes into the long version of 'In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida', in case you were wondering).

3. "The Jethro Tull Christmas Album"...which is a lot more traditional than you'd expect, considering.

So...what's your favorite seasonal music? :D :cool: :eek:

John Bailey
12-18-2005, 4:11 AM
I've got lots, but right now it's the Trans Siberian Orchestra Christmas CD. It's got a good blend of orchestra, heavy rock and rock ballad. There's also a Take Six Christmas CD that has the most amazing rendition of "The Night Before Christmas" I've ever heard.

The classic rock CD's you've mentioned sound good. I've not listened to them as I was in my "Classical Stage" when they were at their prime. I'll have to give them a listen.

John

Kirk (KC) Constable
12-18-2005, 4:59 AM
I'm not a big fan of Christmas music, because everybody who's ever sung a song thinks they have to make a Chrsitmas album...and some of 'em just don't sing 'Christmasy'. I'm not at all sure you can beat Johnny Mathis. And the country stations around here play 'Oh Holy Night' by somebody whose name escapes me that's absolutely incredible.

KC

Vaughn McMillan
12-18-2005, 5:51 AM
Lee, I agree with your #1 and #3 items (gonna have to give the Iron Butterfly one another listen before I can give an opinion). I also like the TSO stuff that John mentioned, although I've not heard a whole album of their stuff yet. Haven't heard Take Six, so no opinion there. And Johnny Mathis I think of as the epitome of the "Christmas Music Sound", but I've heard enough of that sound to have become weary of it.

That said, I guess my favorite Christmas music is almost anything that's not Christmas music. I like the holiday, and all the things it stands for, but the music part of it never really floated my boat. I really feel for the poor folks who have to work in retail establishments listening to really sappy renditions of Christmas songs all day long. At my local Do It home center, they have the Christmas decoration display right next to the checkout stands. There are two or three dancing Santa or snowman decorations that play competing scratchy, distorted versions of dopey songs all...........day..........long. I'd probably have to kill someone after working an 8 hour shift next to that. :eek:

- Vaughn

Ian Barley
12-18-2005, 7:03 AM
1 - "The Fairytale Of New York" - The Pogues Featuring Kirsty MacColl. If this was a top ten then this song would get the first 5 places in it.

2 - "I saw mommy kissing Santa Claus - Lots of different versions - all OK

3 - "Christmas Time (Don't Let The Bells End)" - The Darkness - classic 70's glam shtick for the modern man

Art Mulder
12-18-2005, 7:18 AM
Never heard the Jethro Tull Album, perhaps I'll have a look for it.

This year I discovered the TSO and "The Lost Christmas Eve" is getting a lot of play at our house. Otherwise, I also like the Mannheim Steamroller christmas albums.

One classic that we always play a lot is the Michael W. Smith "Christmas" album.

I've actually never heard a Johnny Mathis album. Oh, I'm sure I've probably heard a song in a mall or some other snippet somewhere, but never an entire album. Maybe I should check it out. My parents were always playing... I think it was called "The Harry Simeon Chorale".

And if you want to get really obscure. Probably our favourite work is by an independant duo from Western Michigcan named "Grooters and Beal". Don't bother looking for them in your store as they don't have a record contract, all their CD's are independantly produced. However I did check amazon, and there is a vendor there selling their 2-cd christmas set.
A great mix of mostly original rock-n-roll christmas music (These are Christian artists, and that infuses their songs).

Lee DeRaud
12-18-2005, 11:01 AM
I was looking at the sports section of the Sunday paper and realized I had omitted my very favorite "seasonal" song:
"Hail To The Redskins".:eek:

One other not-particularly-holiday song: "Linus & Lucy" by Vince Guaraldi (from 'A Charlie Brown Christmas').:cool:

JayStPeter
12-18-2005, 11:19 AM
The last few years I've been into the Ultra Lounge "Christmas Cocktails" series. It's lounge music by a bunch of artists. It's groovy baby.
I have been a fan of Brian Setzer for a long time, but only really like the BSO for the christmas album. Swing music appeals to me at Christmas for some reason, and you do get some of his signature guitar work in there too.
I picked up Clint Black and George Strait christmas albums when I went through a country phase about 10 yrs. ago. I still like both of them. The CB album is mostly original songs.
I can't stand "Now thats what I call Christmas". If it didn't manage to get lost somehow, it would've in another way :cool: .
I will pick up the Tull album, it's gotta be good.

Jay

tod evans
12-18-2005, 12:00 PM
lee, it`s been a couple of years since "brain salad surgery" ran through my one functional cell:) thanks, tod

John Miliunas
12-18-2005, 12:06 PM
TSO all the way! Well done start to finish. "Wizards of Winter" always gets cranked up a notch or two!:D :cool:

Dennis Peacock
12-18-2005, 12:16 PM
TSO for me as well......I REALLY like it..!!!!!!!!!:D

Art Mulder
12-18-2005, 1:37 PM
I forgot about this one earlier...

The Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir have a very very well done album entitled "Light of the World".

...art (now I have to run off and see if I can find the Brian Setzer Orchestra's christmas CD at the library...)

Bryan Somers
12-18-2005, 5:44 PM
Merry Christmas From the Family (Both sides are abit disfunctional)

Mannheim Steamroller

Getting into TSO

For the third time today "Hail to the Redskins"

Lee DeRaud
12-18-2005, 6:00 PM
For the third time today "Hail to the Redskins"Make that fourth time today: they scored again right before halftime.:D

Frank Chaffee
12-18-2005, 7:00 PM
One Christmas Day I attended the birthday party of an Indian girl in Madras. The family was in the movie business (movies are very, very big in India).

The band played a rendition of “Happy Birthday” that was soooo Hendrix inspired, I was sure that the infinite light was shining from Jimi’s grave at the time.

Frank

Jim O'Dell
12-18-2005, 10:54 PM
One classic that we always play a lot is the Michael W. Smith "Christmas" album.

And if you want to get really obscure. Probably our favourite work is by an independant duo from Western Michigcan named "Grooters and Beal". Don't bother looking for them in your store as they don't have a record contract, all their CD's are independantly produced. However I did check amazon, and there is a vendor there selling their 2-cd christmas set.
A great mix of mostly original rock-n-roll christmas music (These are Christian artists, and that infuses their songs).

Art, I agree with the Michael W. Smith CD. I'll have to look into Grooters and Beal. Others I like are: Phillips, Craig and Dean "Repeat the Sounding Joy" (they do a fair rendition of the Chipmunks Christmas song),Steven Curtis Chapman "The Music of Christmas", 4Him "Christmas the Season of Love", Wayne Watson "One Christmas Eve",Michael Card "The Promise", and Brian Duncan's "Christmas is Jesus" (I especially like- I heard The Bells On Christmas Day that goes from making you feel you are outside on a snowy evening listening to a Christmas concert, into a very upbeat version of Angels We Have Heard On High...Stereo always gets cranked up on this). If you like acapella music, Glad's Voices of Christmas, and An Acapella Christmas, and First Call's 2 Christmas albums An Evening in December, and I can't remember the earlier one's name are good as is the Take 6 album (simply amazing vocals).
LOML and I usually try to buy a new Christmas album each year. Haven't even gone to look this year. I think I feel a trip to see what's new in the works. Maybe I'll try Grooters and Beal. Merry Christmas all!! Jim.

Joe Horne
12-18-2005, 11:03 PM
Ronnis Milsap does a rendition of "O Holy Night" that will give you chills. IMO, the he does that song better than anyone. Other than that, I like most all Christmas Music. TSO does amazing work........if you ever get a opportunity to see them live, you won't be sorry!