PDA

View Full Version : Veterans Day and Heroes Among Us.

Dave Lehnert
11-09-2019, 10:12 AM
Since it is Veterans Day I thought I would share this story.

I was sitting on the computer when all of a sudden I recognized a voice on the TV playing in the background . I could not believe what I was seeing, Why? I worked with this man for close to 25 years and never knew he was a veteran. I will let you view the story in the video for the full story.

https://www.wcpo.com/news/our-community/homefront/how-a-local-vietnam-veteran-helped-save-pittsburgh-steelers-all-timer-rocky-bleier-during-the-war?fbclid=IwAR2lb-VAKI__7rI7Fcxs6dJPFSxau2aqF6IAmwrAm5iVRWTLSl-PESbALEY

Ken Fitzgerald
11-09-2019, 12:39 PM
Impressive story and individuals both, he and Rocky Bleier!

John K Jordan
11-09-2019, 12:44 PM
I'm sure that was a big surprise. I didn't know a good friend of mine was a veteran until I saw the purple heart on his license plate yesterday.

JKJ

Bill Carey
11-09-2019, 1:38 PM
To all the lurkers, members and contributors who served, and your families, Thank You.

Keith Outten
11-10-2019, 12:22 PM
This thread is 21 pages of veterans sharing their periods of service, it's from 2004 and anyone who would like to add their name to the list please do so.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?8397-Attention-All-Veterans&highlight=veterans

Rod Sheridan
11-11-2019, 11:59 AM
Almost all of the veterans I knew never once mentioned that they were veterans.

My father and his brothers never spoke of their service overseas in WWII, and neither did any of my mothers family or my friends fathers.

I know a few vets who served in Vietnam, and I only know they're vets because they've mentioned it................It doesn't seem to be much of an item of conversation in my circle.

I also don't remember any of the WWII vets I knew ever considering themselves heroes, maybe that's a sentiment we've attributed to them?

I couldn't make it to the cenotaph this year, I watched the Remembrance Day service from Ottawa on my computer a few minutes ago, and have taken my poppy off, something which always reminds me of my father............Regards, Rod.

Dave Anderson NH
11-11-2019, 2:01 PM
I've just come back from Washington DC today. I had the pleasure of celebrating the 244th birthday of the United States Marine Corps yesterday with over 100 of the CAP Maine brothers I served with in Vietnam. As always, our trip to The Wall was and is a gut wrenching experience and most of us get leaky eyes as we read the 525 names out of the 5000 who serve in the Combined Action Program. It is an article of faith among Marines that as long as we remember ad honor our dead they still live.

Frederick Skelly
11-11-2019, 7:45 PM
I've just come back from Washington DC today. I had the pleasure of celebrating the 244th birthday of the United States Marine Corps yesterday with over 100 of the CAP Maine brothers I served with in Vietnam. As always, our trip to The Wall was and is a gut wrenching experience and most of us get leaky eyes as we read the 525 names out of the 5000 who serve in the Combined Action Program. It is an article of faith among Marines that as long as we remember ad honor our dead they still live.

I can only imagine how hard that must be for you Dave. It ate at me for days after I saw The Wall, and I wasn't in Vietnam. Thank you and all your brothers and sisters in arms.
Fred

andy bessette
11-12-2019, 3:01 AM
...our trip to The Wall was and is a gut wrenching experience...

It was for me too as I read the names of those in my outfit who I knew personally that had been killed while I was there (1/67-2/68).