PDA

View Full Version : Laser not firing. New installation.

Les Brown
11-08-2019, 12:43 PM
Oh dear, it was going so well! This machine I have built has tested me at every chance. Having got motors running etc I am now at the stage when I can fire the laser for the very first time. But nothing happens.

I have disabled door and water interlocks just in case but if I press the pulse button or the test button on the PSU itself, nothing - absolutely nothing. I have an EFR F2 80W tube and an ES-80 psu. I have thoughly checked the connections to the controller (RDC644G) and all seems correct. Unless of course I have interpreted that wrong. The power supply itself powers up as the fan starts running. The Vendor settings ask to define low or high signal and I'm not sure what it should be. So in desperation I have tried both settings. To no avail.

I'm getting desperate now. Any ideas?

James Minick
11-08-2019, 6:01 PM
Use voltmeter check voltages at critical points also check when pulsing, look for change.

Les Brown
11-08-2019, 7:21 PM
Use voltmeter check voltages at critical points also check when pulsing, look for change.

Hi James.

I managed to get the laser to fire by disconnecting the controller and using the test button. At least I now know the psu and laser both work. But despite trying numerous vendor and laser settings on the controller I have yet to get it under control. Very frustrating!

Bill George
11-08-2019, 9:22 PM
Hi James.

I managed to get the laser to fire by disconnecting the controller and using the test button. At least I now know the psu and laser both work. But despite trying numerous vendor and laser settings on the controller I have yet to get it under control. Very frustrating!

Are you sure you have the control voltage - minus hooked up?

James Minick
11-09-2019, 12:18 AM
I'll check some of my notes.

When all else fails....

"Calculatus Eliminatus"
Dr. Seuss

You are going in the right direction, keep plugging away Les, you will succeed!
(https://seuss.fandom.com/wiki/Calculatus_Eliminatus)

James Minick
11-09-2019, 1:05 AM
I would also like to add that you have an awesome machine!!!
Get your "as built" drawing and schematic done as soon as you feel it's right.
Photo every terminal block, controller connection, DIP setting.
Organize your stuff to a "Run Book".

Then, if you're brave enough.... Do it again!

Kudos!

Les Brown
11-09-2019, 2:29 AM
I have tried various things. I changed the vendor setting to low signal. I double double checked the connections I have made between the controller and PSU and also tried the water and door interlocks at alternate polarities and even disabled them. I still can't get it to work. This is now extremely frustrating to say the least.

I've run out of things to try!

Bill George
11-09-2019, 9:14 AM
Have you did a search for laser machine diagrams? Possible if you had another machine to look at you could see the problem.

James Minick
11-11-2019, 1:38 AM
Here are a couple of pics from my setup...

James Minick
11-11-2019, 2:57 AM
Make sure your grounds are good.