PDA

View Full Version : Beech Vase

John Hart
12-17-2005, 10:43 PM
This is my first vase hollowed exclusively with the Sorby that I got from my Secret Santa....Thanks Again Santa!!!!!!
I used Bertha to do the initial bore and then the HollowMaster took over from there. I found that this tool likes to be well above center. I don't think I had a significant catch in the whole process. It went very very well...Up until I parted it!:eek: :eek: grrrrrr

Anyway...I was going for a form consistant with Ancient Roman pottery. Didn't try to copy anything in particular...just tried to get the general feel of the period. This is 5" Diameter and 7" High...finished with the new stuff and buffed with the fingernail Buffer Thingy.

All in all, it was a great education. Just wish it was a keeper. Thanks for peekin'. :)

The Before Shot...Sorry it's blurry...It's the Piece on the Right

Ernie Nyvall
12-17-2005, 10:54 PM
John, I really like the form and secret finish of the vase. It seems like you could add an ebony base with little round feet.

Ernie

Dick Parr
12-17-2005, 10:54 PM
Oops, don't you hate it when that happens John.:eek: This vase looks like it is a good candidate for a different colored base.:D

Good luck in saving it. Just think of it as another challenge.;)

Bill Stevener
12-17-2005, 10:57 PM
Sure was lookin good John, but ya know, you'll never see it when it's standing up. Use dry flowers only.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Chip Sutherland
12-17-2005, 11:01 PM
I'm with the other posters....it's a nice looking vase. Save it with a different colored base.

Besides...who is it that says...."if it doesn't hold water, it's art..." :D

John Miliunas
12-17-2005, 11:26 PM
Very nice vahhhse, John!:) Great form and, of course, the finish is super! I agree on a contrasting base and you're all set!:) :cool:

Andy Hoyt
12-17-2005, 11:30 PM
Yup, Beech turns so nicely.

Yup, put that thing in the Vahhseohmetron and clone a new base for it.

Earl Eyre
12-18-2005, 12:55 AM
I've got a whole shelf full of those, too. It's amazing what kind of bases you can come up with to fix the problem! That's too nice a vase to get rid of. Hope you can come up with a solution.
Earl

Rich Stewart
12-18-2005, 1:08 AM
Aw jeez! Too bad but like everyone said, easy save on that one. Definately too nice for firewood. Fix it.

Keith Burns
12-18-2005, 8:29 AM
John, the form and finish are great. I like the rim treatment. Looking forward to seeing it with the base as you WILL save it.:)

Chris Barton
12-18-2005, 8:59 AM
Nice piece John! Like the others said about replacing the base, I think a dark wood would be a great contrast. I thought I was the only person that made boo-boos like that...

Raymond Overman
12-18-2005, 9:06 AM
That's a mighty fine funnel you have there. I'm with the others here. I think you could salvage it with a dark wood base that possibly had carved feet.

John Hart
12-18-2005, 9:11 AM
Well, I guess y'all have convinced me not to throw this in the fireplace....Although I was very tempted last night!!! Seein's how this is my first complete vessel with the Sorby....I'm gonna hafta salvage it. I'm thinking along the lines of a nice bloodwood/ebony lamination thing.

Thanks everyone for your kind words!!!:)