PDA

View Full Version : When a bowl becomes a platter.....

Chip Sutherland
12-17-2005, 10:29 PM
This is the bloopers portion of my previous church collection bowl posting. Here's the pics. I was profiling the rim when I heard the familiar.... crunch.... crack.....wham.....bang. Crunch = sound of bowl gouge catching, Crack = sound of the bowl rim becoming a projectile Wham....sound of projectile hitting my face shield at +/- 600rpm Bang - sound of projectile hitting my Jet Ambient air cleaner near the ceiling.

What you see are the before and after shots. What started as 9.75" afr mahogany bowl blank was reduced to a 1.33 platter. Before the sudden and violent transformation from Blank to Platter, this piece of wood spent time posing as big deep bowl. The projectile/rim is included in the shot for perspective.

Face shield...buy one, wear one, no questions.

Bill Stevener
12-17-2005, 10:50 PM
Hi Chip, nice recovery. That's a nice looking platter. Chris made a scoop today, kinda the same way.

Bill>>>>>>>>>>>:)

John Hart
12-17-2005, 10:55 PM
Nice looking piece Chip. I made a megaphone today! If that helps.;)

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-17-2005, 11:23 PM
That's what you get Chip, when you try to make a Bowl out of PLATTER wood! Helps prove my point that WOOD TELLS YOU WHAT IT WANTS TO BE!

Bruce

Andy Hoyt
12-17-2005, 11:26 PM
Bruce is right. The wood always gets the last word in these conversations.

Chris Barton
12-18-2005, 9:20 AM
This is the bloopers portion of my previous church collection bowl posting. Here's the pics. I was profiling the rim when I heard the familiar.... crunch.... crack.....wham.....bang. Crunch = sound of bowl gouge catching, Crack = sound of the bowl rim becoming a projectile Wham....sound of projectile hitting my face shield at +/- 600rpm Bang - sound of projectile hitting my Jet Ambient air cleaner near the ceiling.

What you see are the before and after shots. What started as 9.75" afr mahogany bowl blank was reduced to a 1.33 platter. Before the sudden and violent transformation from Blank to Platter, this piece of wood spent time posing as big deep bowl. The projectile/rim is included in the shot for perspective.

Face shield...buy one, wear one, no questions.

Chip,

Nice recovery there pal! I love to turn mahogany and the platter looks great! The one sound you left out in your discription above was the sound I make when all this happens and it usually requires a change of clothes.

Dennis Peacock
12-18-2005, 12:45 PM
Good recovery Chip. I've made a few wooden funnels in my time...and still do on occassion.:eek: :D