PDA

View Full Version : Snow blowers

Harry Niemann
11-07-2019, 10:26 AM
What's the best chute spray to prevent clogging?

Rod Sheridan
11-07-2019, 12:03 PM
Hi Harry, I use Armor-All.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. Must be that time of year, I got up, looked out the window and wondered if I should go back to bed until February 2 or clean off the van and go to work.

Paul F Franklin
11-07-2019, 12:29 PM
I use one of the sprays containing teflon. It works fine, but has be reapplied often.

Mike Cutler
11-07-2019, 12:58 PM
I modified the snow blower by closing the gap between the impeller, and housing, with rubber gasket material. I've never had the chute clog, it's always been the impeller housing that was the cause.

Carl Beckett
11-07-2019, 1:23 PM
I have one I painted with a graphite paint, dont remember the exact name but it is slick and doesnt wear off quite as quickly as a spray. PAM cooking spray, auto spray wax, etc... are all viable choices.

Bill Dufour
11-07-2019, 2:55 PM
I have heard candle wax and blowtorch.
Bill D

Lee Schierer
11-07-2019, 5:39 PM
Before each use, I spray the chute, impeller and augers with silicone. It's been many years since I had a clogged chute.

Earl McLain
11-07-2019, 7:14 PM
Silicone here as well--but only 2 or 3 times a season. Running a 30" Troy Bilt, good blower. But, i live on a State Highway, and 3 seasons back the State changed "salt" formulation. Now when i get out by the road it's a nasty sludge, and refreezes behind the impeller. In that same period of time i've also noticed that small pines along State Highways in our corner of the state tend to be brown on the highway side of the trees--and they weren't before.
earl

Jeff Body
11-08-2019, 12:14 AM
Full disclosure: I live in Florida and I've never seen a snow blower.

I wonder how a ceramic sealant like you use on your car would work. There's a full ceramic coating or even a ceramic detail spray.
It makes everything slide right off your car when used.

Ole Anderson
11-08-2019, 12:16 AM
I have had Toro paddle style snowblowers for 40 years and never had to spray the plastic chutes.

Grant Wilkinson
11-08-2019, 8:51 AM
Here in the Great White North, we get a lot of wet, heavy, slushy snow for about 5 months of the year. But, I'm not complaining. I've tried silicone sprays, Armor All, graphite sprays and the wax that I use on my table saw. I get the same results from dollar store vegetable oil spray for a lot less money.

michael langman
11-08-2019, 9:25 AM
I'm with you Grant. I use a can of canola spray oil I get for a dollar or two at the supermarket, in my snowthrower on the JD318.
I have to keep it inside in winter as it thickens with the cold and doesn't spray as well.

Steve Schlumpf
11-08-2019, 10:04 AM
I use one of those once-a-year car waxes. Has always worked great and I just put some on the snowblower at the same time I wax the car for the last time before winter. Around here that usually is in September. Got hit with our first snowstorm yesterday and we got close to 18"! With that much snow all at once, nothing was moving. Had to snowblow the road from our house to the highway just so cars could get home from work. Quite the workout but the air was real 'fresh' with a north wind right off Lake Superior! Winter has arrived!

Jerome Stanek
11-08-2019, 11:32 AM
I have not used any in 35 years never had a problem

Myk Rian
11-08-2019, 7:06 PM

The thrower chute and auger box are the only reasons I have silicon spray in the shop.
I also use it on my snow shovels.

Bruce Wrenn
11-08-2019, 9:01 PM

Move to North Carolina like the rest of them have. Would the last person leaving New Jersey / Pennsylvania please turn the lights off.

Steven Cooper2
11-08-2019, 11:40 PM
I have had good luck with silicone as well. I probably have tried some teflon spray but results were about the same.

Grant Wilkinson
11-09-2019, 9:23 AM
Damn, Steve! I had better stop whining. We got a few centimetres the other day, but nothing like the dump you got.

Back to the subject: in the coldest part of our winter, I don't need to use anything, as the snow is powdery and throws very easily. However, on those days when thing are wet and almost slushy, without the spray, things clog up.

Bob Turkovich
11-11-2019, 9:21 PM
I have had Toro paddle style snowblowers for 40 years and never had to spray the plastic chutes.

I would have made this exact statement - word-for-word - 24 hours ago...

9 1/2 inches of wet snow with an icy base and the chute plugs every 5 feet or so:mad::mad::mad:

Thanks for the jinx, Ole!:p (At least I now know how to address it.)

I guess I'm about 15 miles SE of you. Can you still make the statement after today's snowfall?

Leo Graywacz
11-11-2019, 9:44 PM
I've got an Ariens 824 that's 30 years old, one rebuild because of a blown engine (28" was too much for the old girl) and it rarely ever clogs. When it does clog it's because I'm blowing pure slush. I don't use anything to coat the chute.

Phil Mueller
11-11-2019, 10:39 PM
Same here as Ole. Just a bit N of Detroit and we got what looked like about 6-7 inches. Good old Toro paddle style made it through without a single clog. I never knew clogging was a problem...never had it happen.

Jerome Stanek
11-12-2019, 9:40 AM
The only time I had a clog was when I used my fathers snow blower that was a single stage to blow out his drive and real wet heavy snow.

Kev Williams
11-12-2019, 11:27 AM
heavy wet snow can get compacted by the auger and thrower before it ever goes up the chute. Even removing the chute won't stop some clogs!