PDA

View Full Version : First commission - church collection bowls

Chip Sutherland
12-17-2005, 10:13 PM
This aren't 100% finished but I won't have time to post these otherwise. These are danish oil finished and will be buffed and the green felt installed in the sloped recess in the bowl bottom. The first pic shows the 1st prototype turned on Jet Mini and the rest of the 9.75" blanks. The story goes:
1) turned prototypes. The final shape was the one chosen by the sponsor.
2) Turned 6 primary bowls
3) had one bowl exploded into a platter (I'll show that in a separate post)
4) re-turned the prototypes
5) one blank left to play with

All the bowl outside profiles were turned on a Jet Mini which was difficult because the blanks were huge and awkward to get to on a 6" tool rest. All were done with a recessed dovetail and a Nova Midi Chuck. All the bowl insides (except the prototypes) were turned on my 1442. I did return the prototype insides on the 1442 using Bill Grumbine's finishing technique to get rid of the terrible tearout I caused on the Mini.

Sure learned a lot. Started out not really knowing bowl turning. Halfway through, I ordered Bill G's video and practiced a bunch. I'm fairly confident now. Species: mostly african mahogany. Got surprised when some honduran showed up in the laminations. The bowl at the top is African over Honduran Mahogany. Pretty obvious.The sponsor supplied the wood so I couldn't really complain.

Hope you like them.

Ernie Nyvall
12-17-2005, 10:26 PM
They look good to me. Nice work Chip.

Ernie

Dick Parr
12-17-2005, 10:41 PM
Very nice Chip, they look great.:)

John Hart
12-17-2005, 11:07 PM
Think of all the people that will be fondling your work! That's just wonderful and you did a fine job. Well done!!:)

Bernie Weishapl
12-17-2005, 11:10 PM
You did a fine job Chip. That is some nice work.