PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Basswood within a 500 mile radius of Nashville TN

ChrisA Edwards
11-05-2019, 6:13 PM
Went down to the lumber distributer, where I bought $1300 of Basswood last summer, with the plan to buy about $800 worth today (that's what will fit in the bed of my truck).

I need about 800 board/feet.

They informed me that they had changed their policy a couple of months ago. They used to allow any walk in customer sale with a $200 minimum purchase.

So they gave me the name of a couple of companies that I could order the wood through. Got a quote from one of these and the wood price is 35% more than I paid previously, close to $1000 more.

So I'd like to find another source and am prepared to drive and pick up the whole load with my enclosed trailer.

Thanks

Earl McLain
11-05-2019, 7:28 PM
You might try Johnson's Workbench in Charlotte, MI (smaller store in South Bend, IN--you could probably order & pick up there saving 100 miles or so each way). http://theworkbench.com/hardwood.php They're showing 1" Select & Better at $2.05/bf at 500 bf to 1,000 bf. Good folks, and the lumber i've gotten there has been good as well.
earl

Edward Dyas
11-05-2019, 8:53 PM
What about Hood Distribution. I found them on google and carry basswood. They claim they serve the Nashville area. As big as Nashville is there is bound to be a few different hardwood suppliers. Cabinet shops have to get their supplies from somewhere.

Jim Becker
11-05-2019, 9:12 PM
I can't suggest a place in your area, but I got mine at Hearne not long ago...really excellent. The 8/4 was $6 a board foot if I recall and they do ship.

ChrisA Edwards
11-05-2019, 9:22 PM
What about Hood Distribution. I found them on google and carry basswood. They claim they serve the Nashville area. As big as Nashville is there is bound to be a few different hardwood suppliers. Cabinet shops have to get their supplies from somewhere.

That's where I bought my first batch. They are the ones who sent me packing today.

I'm not a business, so they won't let me set up an account.

Terry Wawro
11-05-2019, 9:26 PM
Sounds like they only deal with businesses now. You might just want to ask a local cabinet place to place the order for you in their name and then you go pick it up. Work out the payment in advance plus a gratuity. Anything from a few boxes of doughnuts to $100 for their time. ($100 is cheaper than the gas for 500 miles)

ChrisA Edwards
11-05-2019, 9:30 PM
Sounds like they only deal with businesses now. You might just want to ask a local cabinet place to place the order for you in their name and then you go pick it up. Work out the payment in advance plus a gratuity. Anything from a few boxes of doughnuts to $100 for their time. ($100 is cheaper than the gas for 500 miles)

That's one of my back up plans. The guy who built all our cabinets, when we remodeled 4 bathrooms a couple of years ago, offered me that privilege, so I may be calling in a favor tomorrow. Not sure whether he can help, but it's worth a try.

Bruce Wrenn
11-05-2019, 9:36 PM
Call state forestry dept, as in most locals, they maintain a list of vendors who can supply your needs.

tom lucas
11-06-2019, 8:18 AM
try a Craig's list search with that radius. I recently saw an adv. for basswood in Hagerstown, MD.

Brian Behrens
11-06-2019, 9:04 AM
Suwanee Lumber in Suwanee GA

I was there the other day. They had a lot of basswood. I think it was $1.89 bf. This was S4S. The also sell rough lumber which would be even cheaper, very friendly folks, give them a call.

Edward Dyas
11-06-2019, 9:21 AM
That's where I bought my first batch. They are the ones who sent me packing today.

I'm not a business, so they won't let me set up an account.Yea, you see a lot of that. I have a business and some vendors won't sell to you until they send a salesman to your shop. I just don't bother with them, if they don't want my business any more than that I will go elsewhere.

I know it's a long way but you might find the number for Frank Paxton Lumber in St. Louis, MO. I don't know if they would sell to you but I know the wood would be good. Probably if you bought enough they would deliver to you. At one time I used to live in Southern Illinois and they supplied lumber to the high school shop there.

Will Boulware
11-06-2019, 9:40 AM
Call Jeffries Woodworks in Knoxville. I've had great luck with them, and while I've never bought Basswood, they always have a large selection of it in the corner. Multiple thicknesses, etc.

Richard Coers
11-06-2019, 10:31 AM
Try, http://www.schallerhardwood.com/Schaller_Web_4_Lumber_List.html
I was in business when I bought from them in the mid 90s, but have no idea what their policy is now.

Jim Becker
11-06-2019, 10:31 AM
That's one of my back up plans. The guy who built all our cabinets, when we remodeled 4 bathrooms a couple of years ago, offered me that privilege, so I may be calling in a favor tomorrow. Not sure whether he can help, but it's worth a try.

I suggest you actually do this, not just for this transaction, but "making nice" with a local cabinet shop like that can net you some pretty nice "scrap" material sometimes which for the small shop or hobbyist is a boon. While I do have accounts (and did even before starting my part-time business), there are times when "my" suppliers can't provide what I need, so I turn to a couple of other local folks who use different suppliers. Both have gifted me some pretty darn nice surplus material that would have gone in the trash otherwise. One of them subcontracts a little bit of work to me, too.

Ron Barnes
11-06-2019, 11:13 AM
There is 4 lots of basswood on auction at IRS Auctions in Ware Shoal, SC. Looks reasonably priced so far.

Tom Bender
11-11-2019, 6:56 AM
Hi Chris
You're using a lot of Basswood for someone whose not in business. Are you making horse stalls of it? It might be time to create a business.

Jim Becker
11-11-2019, 9:03 AM
Hi Chris
You're using a lot of Basswood for someone whose not in business. Are you making horse stalls of it? It might be time to create a business.
There's a bit of humor in that in case it isn't obvious...horse stalls made from basswood would be lucky to last a day, especially for a cribber. (wood chewer...) They'd be carving that stuff up really fast! (it is, after all, a great carving wood)

John K Jordan
11-11-2019, 10:04 AM
There's a bit of humor in that in case it isn't obvious...horse stalls made from basswood would be lucky to last a day, especially for a cribber. (wood chewer...) They'd be carving that stuff up really fast! (it is, after all, a great carving wood)

Ha! Just imagining basswood around my horse Sugar - she would flatten the top rail of steel corral panels. And fortunately I don't have a kicker so I lined the stalls with virginia pine from my sawmill - I know people with feisty stallions who use 2" thick oak.

JKJ

ChrisA Edwards
11-11-2019, 10:31 AM
I'm building Plantation Shutters for my house. These pictures were from my first batch, 11 windows, now I'm doing the rest of the house, about 15 windows.

I called a few places, recommended above in this thread, the price quoted was very close to what the third party, that I was going to have to go through, was quoting me, so I bought 430 bd/ft and picked in up this past Friday. This should build all my frames rails and stiles. Then it'll be easier to estimate how much more I need to cut the louvers.

https://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i452/cedwards874/Woodworking/Shutters/FirstWoodPickup_zps3eu5y4re.jpg

https://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i452/cedwards874/Woodworking/Shutters/ShutterC2_zpsrxpgw3aq.jpg

https://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i452/cedwards874/Woodworking/Shutters/MasterBedroonFinished_zps72zksgpd.jpg

Mike Vsoika
11-11-2019, 10:42 AM
I was in West Penn Hardwoods (Conover, NC - Hickory) the other day and they had basswod on sale. They could probably supply you with a large quantity.

ChrisA Edwards
11-11-2019, 10:47 AM
I was in West Penn Hardwoods (Conover, NC - Hickory) the other day and they had basswod on sale. They could probably supply you with a large quantity.

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind for my next load. I figure it'll probably be a couple of months before I need that.

Jared Sankovich
11-11-2019, 11:07 AM
Any specific reason you are using basswood exclusively?

ChrisA Edwards
11-11-2019, 11:59 AM
That's what seems as the recommended material, it's very light weight, machines easily and was relatively cheap, $1.65bd/ft on my initial phase, $2.50bd/ft on this batch. Still works out to about $250 per window in wood and many of these are 6' x 6'.

Jared Sankovich
11-11-2019, 12:12 PM
That's what seems as the recommended material, it's very light weight, machines easily and was relatively cheap, $1.65bd/ft on my initial phase, $2.50bd/ft on this batch. Still works out to about $250 per window in wood and many of these are 6' x 6'.

I mainly asked because locally poplar is cheaper than basswood, and more dent resistant.

John K Jordan
11-11-2019, 12:17 PM
Fantastic looking shutters!!

JKJ

Donald G. Burns
11-12-2019, 9:00 AM
You might want to look into setting up a dba (doing business as). Cost in most states is very little and it might be enough to be a "business" with your local wood source. https://startupsavant.com/how-to-file-a-tennessee-dba/

Jim Becker
11-12-2019, 9:04 AM
DBA could be useful for establishing accounts with "vendor" only suppliers, but be aware of minimum purchase expectations, etc. DBA is not sufficient for a 'real' business, however...that requires consultation with an accountant and perhaps an attorney, depending on the state, do insure there is understanding around taxation and other legal requirements. Much has changed in the tax codes in recent years and that has significant effect on what might be the best small business arrangement, too. Sole proprietorships and some LLC arrangements no longer have the same level of tax benefit as they did in the past.

Ron Walker
11-12-2019, 9:45 AM
Have you tried Middle Tn lumber? They are in Dickson Tn. I buy a lot of lumber there. Called and they have some in stock.

ChrisA Edwards
11-12-2019, 10:06 AM
Have you tried Middle Tn lumber? They are in Dickson Tn. I buy a lot of lumber there. Called and they have some in stock.

Cool, called them this morning, they have 6/4 that is 10% cheaper than the 5/4 I just bought. That's where I'll go for my next batch.

Thanks much appreciated.

John K Jordan
11-12-2019, 11:21 AM
Cool, called them this morning, they have 6/4 that is 10% cheaper than the 5/4 I just bought. That's where I'll go for my next batch.

Thanks much appreciated.

What is there price for 6/4?

ChrisA Edwards
11-12-2019, 1:09 PM
$2.30 bd/ft

Jim Becker
11-12-2019, 3:13 PM
Wow...great prices.

al heitz
11-12-2019, 5:04 PM
Not sure of the mileage, but you might contact Jim Lukens & Sons Quality Hardwoods, 38 West Grant Street, Knightstown, Indiana, 46148;
(765) 345-2971.

0345-

Colin Giersberg
11-13-2019, 1:16 AM
Check out Hobby Hardwood Alabama. They are open most Saturdays 9-4 or afternoons by appointment. They are located northeast of Huntsville, Alabama near New Market. Their site shows that they have basswood. I have done business with them several times and have always come with some really nice lumber. The lumber is cut on a Woodmizer bandsaw, kiln dried and sterilized to kill insects.

https://www.hobbyhardwoodalabama.com

John K Jordan
11-13-2019, 7:09 AM
Check out Hobby Hardwood Alabama. They are open most Saturdays 9-4 or afternoons by appointment. They are located northeast of Huntsville, Alabama near New Market. Their site shows that they have basswood. I have done business with them several times and have always come with some really nice lumber. The lumber is cut on a Woodmizer bandsaw, kiln dried and sterilized to kill insects.

https://www.hobbyhardwoodalabama.com

The type of basswood may not matter for the shutter application. But my carving and chip carving books are clear that Northern Basswood is superior to Southern Basswood, apparently because it grows slower in the north and the grain is finer. I've had some of each and I agree.