PDA

View Full Version : It's open... Turner Furniture Studio

Steve Wargo
12-17-2005, 8:47 PM
Just looked at my e-mail today and noticed one from our own Alan Turner stating that his Woodworking Studio/School is open for business. Congrats Alan and best of luck. Here's a link for the school: Turner Furniture Studio (http://www.alanturnerfurnituremaker.com/atfm/courses/list)

Keith Starosta
12-17-2005, 8:54 PM
That's excellent, Alan!! Much congrats to you!

Best of luck in '06.

Keith

Jim Becker
12-17-2005, 9:04 PM
I was also very happy to see the email. Congrats to Alan for making this milestone!!!

Bernie Weishapl
12-17-2005, 9:10 PM
Congrats Alan. Glad to see it has taken off. Good luck.

Jason Tuinstra
12-17-2005, 9:57 PM
Alan, congrats!!! Looks like a nice offering of classes as well. I hope all will go well for you in this endeavor/adventure

Richard Wolf
12-17-2005, 9:59 PM
That looks great Alan, I want to come down and take a course.

Richard

Corey Hallagan
12-17-2005, 10:46 PM
Congrats Alan and best of luck to you!

Corey

Bob Oehler
12-17-2005, 11:59 PM
Good luck to you Allen

Bob Oehler

Bob Oehler
12-18-2005, 12:00 AM
Good luck to you Alan

Bob Oehler

Gary Herrmann
12-18-2005, 12:53 AM
Best of luck in this endeavor.

Alan Turner
12-18-2005, 3:18 AM
Thanks, guys. This is something I have been planning for many years, and I am quite excited. I was especially pleased when Jeff Jewitt agreed to teach a weekend course on hand applied finishes. This is a course that I took from him several years ago and I learned more than I ever thought I would know about this sometimes fussy subject.

If anyone would like to be on the email mailing list, just drop me a note and you will be added.

John Bailey
12-18-2005, 3:55 AM
Congratulations Alan, and now the work begins. Hope all goes well - keep us posted.

John

Dan Forman
12-18-2005, 4:57 AM
Alan---Congrat's, sounds fabulous. Do you need an apprentice for a month or so? I could sleep under a workbench, and I'm a pretty good mouser!

Dan

Alan Turner
12-18-2005, 5:53 AM
Alan---Congrat's, sounds fabulous. Do you need an apprentice for a month or so? I could sleep under a workbench, and I'm a pretty good mouser!

Dan
Dan,
Sounds good, but we'll have to do a quick check of your skills. Mice live in the suburbs. The new shop is in the city, where they grow a bit larger. :D

Mark Singer
12-18-2005, 6:11 AM
Alan,
This is wonderful! It is great to see you following your dreams....many people never do! It looks like a very well thought out and organized endevour, I wish you all the success that I know will follow!

Dan Forman
12-18-2005, 6:41 AM
Dan,
Sounds good, but we'll have to do a quick check of your skills. Mice live in the suburbs. The new shop is in the city, where they grow a bit larger. :D

Er...I might need to bring my shootin' iron in that case. Perhaps the blow-gun and a touch of curare for while school is in session. :eek:

Dan

tod evans
12-18-2005, 7:35 AM
best wishes on your school alan.

Frank Pellow
12-18-2005, 8:31 AM
Alan, I wish you every success in this endeavour! It certainly looks like you are well set up for it.

The finishing course looks good and, if you were closer, I would definately sign up for it. I even looked at your location in the hope that it might be upstate New York or Eastern Michigan, but too bad, it isn't.

Bob Reeve
12-18-2005, 12:04 PM
Alan,

I am very happy for you. I would love to attend, but alas you are on the other side of this big country. I was a new woodworker 2 years ago and found a similar school in Alameda CA. It was a blessing to a wannabe and so will yours.

Good luck

Bob

Steve Wargo
12-18-2005, 1:19 PM
I was fortunate enough to make my way out there earlier this year and see the building and class area. Heading to DC to deliver a piece the end of March and hope to swing by to see the completed version. Congrats again Alan, and I wish you much success.

Jack Hogoboom
12-18-2005, 4:16 PM
Alan,

Please put me on your mailing list. From what I've seen, I could sure learn a bunch from you.

Good luck with the school.

Jack

Alan Turner
12-18-2005, 5:08 PM
Thanks again guys for the warm words of encouragement. Yes, it has been a dream for a number of years, and I decided to pull the trigger. Sure hope it works out, both for me, but more importantly for the students. WWer's have a nice way of sharing their secrets, tips, etc., and this forum is a fine testamment to that rich tradition. It is one of the few bsically non-competitive endeavors and better for it.

I have spent yet another weekend working on the 10 student benches. Man -o-man, what a lot of work. 40 legs, 20 sled feet, 20 top stretchers, 40 wedged mortise and tenons into the sled feet, 40 notched bridle joints into the top stretchers, etc, etc, etc. And I haven't even gotten to the tail vises yet but I know from having built 3 so far over the past several years that they will take the most patience. The one big tool that I still need is a slot mortiser, but they are hard to find. If anyone runs across a good used one, like a Griggio, give me a holler.

Kelly C. Hanna
12-18-2005, 5:45 PM
Congrats on the opening!

Ken Shoemaker
12-18-2005, 6:21 PM
Alan,
Congrats and MUCH success... I'm sure I speak for many "We wanna see ya' do well my friend..."

John Renzetti
12-18-2005, 6:38 PM
Alan, Congratulations on your new school. I'm sure it will be a great success.
Steve, Also belated congratulations to you on having your work, the Silver Chest on Stand, featured in this issue of Fine Woodworking.
All the best to you both
take care,
John

Rob Millard
12-18-2005, 9:48 PM
Alan,

I wish you great success. I know it will be a success, because you have the skill and knowledge, that people want.
Rob Millard

Alan Turner
12-21-2005, 6:09 AM
Thanks guys for all the kind comments. This is a very exciting time in my life.

So far, of the 16 slots for the Jeff Jewitt class (he set the #), there are 9 confirmed registrations, and a few of them are SMC'ers whom I am anxious to meet.

Steve Wargo
12-21-2005, 10:50 AM
Alan,
I wish I was closer. If I were I'd be glad to lend an afternoon or two in the shop helping to make those benches. Why I imagine that with the two of us we could cut, oh I don't know, maybe 4 or 5 bridle joints in an entire weekend. That's in between the swapping stories of course. Good luck on the Workbench endevor. I do wish I was closer to help.