PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe I sold a bowl!!!

Ernie Nyvall
12-17-2005, 7:41 PM
The story is: My sister saw some of my bowls and wanted to take them to a vender. That didn't work out so she left them at my mom's. Unbeknownst to me my mom called a new antiques and collectables store in her town and the owner said he'd look at them if I brought them in. So a little embarrassed, I took them in the last time I visited. The owner liked them... a little too much for the price he said he could get, but since I didn't set out to sell these bowls (very amateurish looking bowls) I certainly didn't have anything to loose by leaving them. He made a display for them on his register counter and an agreement with me and I left expecting to get a call to come pick them up. Well, I got a check in the mail for the one below and am stunned at how much it went for. I'm stunned it went at all. I'm just stunned, but very happy.:D :D

Ernie

Travis Stinson
12-17-2005, 7:53 PM
Way to go Ernie! That's a nice looking bowl. Congrats on the sell and good luck with the rest!:cool:

Andy Hoyt
12-17-2005, 7:55 PM
So which did you do first?

Post this message or contact Amazon to upgrade to the B?

Congrats, Ernie. That has got to feel good.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-17-2005, 7:56 PM
Ernie......I'm stunned that you're stunned! That's a great looking bowl! Congrats!

John Miliunas
12-17-2005, 8:22 PM
Congrats, Ernie and really no reason to be stunned. That's a choice looking bowl you got there. OK, nice looking bowl you had!!! :D Now, just remember that, having joined the ranks of the professional, you no longer have a shop! It's a STUDIO!!! :) :cool:

Jim Ketron
12-17-2005, 8:53 PM
Thats Great Ernie!
Congrats bud!

Ernie Nyvall
12-17-2005, 8:57 PM
Thanks guys, and Andy I did the upgrade first and feel much better about it now.:D
Oh yes John, I have a studio.:cool: If I could just make it look like one.

Ernie

Raymond Overman
12-17-2005, 9:11 PM
Turquoise inlace gets them every time. Congrats on the sale Ernie. You earned that check. Enjoy a new tool!

Bernie Weishapl
12-17-2005, 9:14 PM
Congrats Ernie. Enjoy the new toy errrr I mean tool.

Jim Becker
12-17-2005, 9:15 PM
That's excellent news, Ernie. Congrats!

Brad Schmid
12-17-2005, 9:26 PM
Congratulations Ernie, Well done!
By the way you were talking last week, you didn't give yourself even a small chance. Nothing like a big check to boost the confidence:D
Brad

Keith Burns
12-17-2005, 9:55 PM
Way to go Ernie, you certainly deserve it.:) :) :) Don't sell yourself short, you do great work.

Jim Dunn
12-17-2005, 10:05 PM
Hey Ernie that's great:) But did he sell it to your mom:eek: Just kidding,;) your work is real nice and I think anybody would be proud to display "real turnings" in their home.:)

Ernie Nyvall
12-17-2005, 10:34 PM
Hey Ernie that's great:) But did he sell it to your mom:eek: Just kidding,;) your work is real nice and I think anybody would be proud to display "real turnings" in their home.:)

First thing I thought of so I gave her a call. She is 85 and I am 52, but being the last of five and of course the most handsome, brilliant, and just darn near the perfect child, I wouldn't put it past her.:rolleyes:

Ernie

Loy Hawes
12-17-2005, 10:35 PM
That is a nice bowl Ernie. I am not surprised you got paid well for it.
Congratulations on the sale!

Bill Stevener
12-17-2005, 10:38 PM
Good for you Ernie, you best start trucken all the wood you can. New lathe cumming, sales managers. I can see the shingle hanging out front now.
The best to ya Ernie,

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Dick Parr
12-17-2005, 10:39 PM
Congrats Ernie, that is a pretty bowl.

John Hart
12-17-2005, 10:53 PM
Now, just remember that, having joined the ranks of the professional, you no longer have a shop! It's a STUDIO!!! :) :cool:

I still have a shop.:o

Hey...Congratulations Ernie!!!! That really is wonderful. Just a teeny bit of vindication eh?? I'm happy for you. :)

Chip Sutherland
12-17-2005, 11:08 PM
Congratulations, I like the bowl. I hope it causes you to aspire to a new level. I'm still several notches down but looking up at yours.....going Wow! I can't wait until I can do that, too.

Carole Valentine
12-17-2005, 11:30 PM
Whay to go Ernie! And just what, might I ask, do you consider "amateurish" about that bowl????;)

Bill Hanlon
12-18-2005, 2:17 AM
Congrats.. The art of wood working is alive and well.
Bill

Gary DeWitt
12-18-2005, 2:27 AM
Nice bowl, Ernie, and congrats!
Keeping your day job, or moving on to full time wood artist?

Mark Cothren
12-18-2005, 4:34 PM
Congratulations Ernie!

Glenn Hodges
12-18-2005, 6:14 PM
Congratulations Ernie, it sure is nice to have money going into your pocket rather than going out all the time.

aaron allen
12-18-2005, 6:37 PM
Ernie, Great craftsmanship, definitely that of an Artisan. "very amateurish looking bowls" ?? Hardly.
You do realize you made it to someones holiday dinner table or gift for Xmas.
Keep up the great work, Aaron

Ed Scolforo
12-18-2005, 8:38 PM
Ernie: That bowl is a beauty! Congrats! Ed

Ernie Nyvall
12-18-2005, 11:11 PM
Thanks everyone.

I thought it amateurish because the turquoise is not evenly distributed and had to mix in some coffee grounds where the rock wouldn't stick. The form is certainly nothing fancy. Mainly, I didn't complete the vision I had when I started, but of course no one but me knows what that was. But I aint tellin now:D .

Ernie

Gary DeWitt
12-19-2005, 1:43 PM
And I bet the first scoop was a recovered blown out goblet!

Takes an expert to make lemonaid out of a lemmon.

Way to go.