PDA

View Full Version : Keen Kutter Jointer Plane ID

Joshua Lucas
11-04-2019, 12:56 PM
Yesterday I purchased a Keen Kutter jointer plane equivalent to a Stanley #7C - 22" long, 2 3/8" iron, corrugated. Strangely, it doesn't fit the K (Bedrock equivalent) or KK (Bailey equivalent, produced mainly by Ohio and Sargent I believe) lines of Keen Kutter planes. I paid $65 if you're wondering. I'm just looking for any information on the manufacturer and date of this plane.

No model or manufacturer is cast into the body of the plane. The only marking on the sole is "Made in USA" behind the knob. All of the machined surfaces for the bottom of the frog are horizontal and in the same plane unlike both Stanley Bailey and Bedrock planes.

The frog is unusual in that it does not extend below the mating surface, unlike most non-Stanley planes with similar body machining. This probably makes it prone to chatter if the mouth is tightened, but I don't mind too much since a jointer doesn't really need a tight mouth. The frog is painted red and is machined on both the bottom and the sides, with matching machined surfaces in the body. The lateral adjuster and fork are both stamped and folded steel.

The lever cap and iron are marked with the Keen Kutter logo. The iron is thicker than my other antique plane (a 1930s Union I believe), but not as thick as you would expect an Ohio iron to be.

The tote and knob appear to be beech or mahogany and not rosewood.

Edit: Looks like this 1955-61 Sargent 1400 Series has nearly identical body machining. (Bottom of the page here) (https://www.timetestedtools.net/sargent-400-series-bench-plane-type-study/)

Jim Koepke
11-04-2019, 1:53 PM
My feeling is also it having been made by Sargent.

Is there any marking on the inside of the lever cap?

The real question is how well it does its job.

jtk