PDA

View Full Version : As you get older you'd better develop....

Ken Fitzgerald
12-17-2005, 7:40 PM
a sense of humor about yourself or you could live an AWFUL(ly) LONG time!

When I built my retirement shop...my cash hole.....I purposely installed an 10' insulated garage door knowing full well I'd want to pull a vehicle into to it to work on them during our Idaho winters. I just recently installed gas heat in there.

Being remote service engineers, my counterpart and I cover an area about 120 miles by 120 miles northern Idaho. We service x-ray equipment, MR and CT scanners. As you might imagine, we carry quite an amount of test equipments, tools, documentation, laptop computer, and some generic spare parts. 3 weeks ago our new company mini-vans delivered to a local dealer. We've been so busy, that in the last two weeks I've tried to take some vacation that I'll lose if I dont' use it before the end of the year. Both times my partner got so swamped that he had to call me and I had to go to work. Last week he found time to pickup his new Chrysler Town and Country. Mine was sitting next to his and mine is still there. I consume an unbelieveable amount of coffee, often while driving through the mountains and valleys here. In the course of 6 years I've spilled a fair amount of coffee in the area between the two front seats of my Ford Windstar. Today I decided to ship out all unnecesary parts and back my van into the shop....let it thaw out overnight, unload it in the heated shop; vacuumn and scrub the carpets. Let it dry tomorrow night and Monday, turn it in and pickup my new T&C..........

I went out to the shop........:)

Swept the floor.................:)

Went to open the overhead door.........:(

Can you see this coming?............:rolleyes:

Yup....I'd cut and screwed the 1/2 plywood on the wall/header above the door.....it makes a real tight seal.....but you can't raise the door!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

The only piece of advice I'm qualified to give anyone......

As you get older ...you'd better develop a sense of humor about yourself or you could live an AWFUL(ly) LONG time!

Ernie Nyvall
12-17-2005, 7:56 PM
Yea Ken, I guess things like that happen when you get waaaaaaay up there in the years.:D

Nothing like that's ever happened to me.:D And no, you can't ask my family either.:p

Ernie

Jim Becker
12-17-2005, 8:35 PM
Look at this as a sign from above...your shop is a shop and not meant for any vehilcles!! ;)

Dennis Peacock
12-18-2005, 12:24 PM
Look at this as a sign from above...your shop is a shop and not meant for any vehilcles!! ;)

LOL!!!! I couldn't agree more.!!!!

Now Ken....grab some coffee and sit in the warm shop and ponder your solution. You'll think better with some coffee in your hands.;)

Scott Donley
12-18-2005, 2:30 PM
I feel for you, but will trade you problems, I have a sliding barn style door to mine, stacked a cord of wood on the other side THINKING that I had left enough room for the door to slide behind it. I missed the one log on the BOTTOM that was sticking out about an inch to far. That will teach me to think :) It must be an age thing cause I know I would have never done something that stupid when I was a youngster :)
Your not alone!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-18-2005, 9:52 PM
It's amazing what you can do with a circular saw and a straight edge! I proudly announce that I've recovered from my previous error and the door now opens! :D

Vaughn McMillan
12-19-2005, 2:59 AM
Ken, my first thought when I saw your original post was "he makes the discovery while standing in the shop...surrounded by tools...I'm sure there's something in that shop that can turn 1/2" ply into dust". Looks like you found that something.

Makes me wonder how long it'd take me to figure out I was surrounded by the solution. ;)

- Vaughn

Chris Padilla
12-19-2005, 3:05 AM
Awesome! :)

Joe Pelonio
12-19-2005, 10:43 AM
Sounds like something Red Green would do. I love that program but try not to imitate his antics.

http://www.redgreen.com/

John Hart
12-19-2005, 10:46 AM
Too funny Ken....Though you should have left well enough alone...(Ref: Jim Becker's post) ;)