PDA

View Full Version : Helix head in my woodmaster

Chris Payne
11-03-2019, 10:10 PM
I am wanting to replace my cutter head in my 18” woodmaster and trying to decide weather to go with the woodmaster head or the Byrd cutter head your thoughts please.

Scott Besaw
11-04-2019, 7:27 AM
I have a Byrd head in my 8" jointer and a Woodmaster in my 18" planer. They are very similar in appearance and performance. Byrd did not make a head for Woodmaster a couple years ago. I would not have any problem using either again if I had the need. It also looks like the Woodmaster is about $400 - $500 cheaper.

Clint Baxter
11-04-2019, 8:11 PM
Interestingly enough, I was visiting the shop of a friend with a Woodmaster, with the helical head installed. He was showing me the ridges left on the lumber after it'd been milled, and asked if I got similar marks from my Hammer A3-31, seeing as it also used a helical cutter head. I don't know if the Byrd head would be any better, but I wouldn't be very satisfied with having to deal with those ridges. BTW, my Hammer may leave tiny scallops, but a quick pass with 150 on a ROS is more than enough to remove them.

No idea if this is common with the Woodmaster, but what I observed on this one. YMMV.

Clint

Chris Payne
11-04-2019, 8:43 PM
I right now get my lumber from a mill that uses a planner with a helix head and that is one of the things I don’t like about it is all those small ridges, but I have to run it all through my sander to remove them. I was just wondering if one head was better then the other I know the Byrd head is quite a bit higher then the Woodmaster but if it would do a better job I would pay it.

Scott Besaw
11-05-2019, 8:01 AM
The cause of ridges is the inserts have grease under them. I did have to remove all of the inserts, clean and reinstall on both heads. The Woodmaster was worse then the Byrd before cleaning. I get small scallops on both heads and no ridges on either now. The scallop pattern on both look the same.

Bob Falk
11-05-2019, 8:06 AM
Interesting thread. I have been thinking about a helical head for my Woodmaster 18". Scott, is your Woodmaster quieter with the helical head?

Mark e Kessler
11-05-2019, 10:24 AM
The Byrd head and appears Woodmaster heads are not true Helical heads, the Felder silent power, SCM Xylent and the Hermance HelixHead are - I doubt the finish from the Byrd or Woodmaster equal that of the true Helicals . I would look to see if Hermance makes one for the Woodmaster.

I right now get my lumber from a mill that uses a planner with a helix head and that is one of the things I don’t like about it is all those small ridges, but I have to run it all through my sander to remove them. I was just wondering if one head was better then the other I know the Byrd head is quite a bit higher then the Woodmaster but if it would do a better job I would pay it.

Scott Besaw
11-05-2019, 3:10 PM
The Byrd and Woodmaster are spiral heads. Definitely quieter than a head with three knives. They also produce small thin shavings that are easier to bag and throw away.

Mark e Kessler
11-06-2019, 8:13 AM
Are they a Spiral or Helical? Spiral and Helical are two different things...

The Byrd and Woodmaster are spiral heads. Definitely quieter than a head with three knives. They also produce small thin shavings that are easier to bag and throw away.