PDA

View Full Version : Rasp and File Questions

David Eisenhauer
11-02-2019, 8:23 PM
I currently use a #9 rasp for curves/shapes on hardwood and want to use something with a smoother cut to follow it up with. If I am using a #9 (Liogier) now for the first pass, can I jump up to a (say) #12? Also, I would like to have a decent wood file to use on mostly hardwood and have no idea as to a decent source for this. I believe a double cut type would be best but can easily be convinced to try something else. I saw an advert for Nicholson, but wonder if their wood files have gone the way of their metal files.

Tom M King
11-02-2019, 9:31 PM
I really, really like the Iwasaki wood files. The extreme fine cuts leave an almost polished surface, but still remove wood.
I also really like some heavily tapered rasps that I bought from Stew Mac, that I have no idea who made them, but they are hand stitched and cut as well as the recognized brands.

Frederick Skelly
11-02-2019, 9:35 PM
Like Tom, I am a fan of the Iwasaki Carving Files. I ordered mine from Woodcraft but there are other sources.
Fred

David Eisenhauer
11-03-2019, 11:11 AM
Thanks gents. Iwaski it is. I am happy with the Liogier brand of rasp I have, just want to move up to a smoother grain.