PDA

View Full Version : My babies

Josh Robinson
11-02-2019, 10:48 AM
Cleaned, sharpened and ready to work

Jim Koepke
11-02-2019, 11:00 AM
They look nice Josh.

Is there any more to the story like size and type?

How about the hunt?

jtk

lowell holmes
11-02-2019, 11:02 AM
Black automotive paint works on Japanning repair.

Josh Robinson
11-02-2019, 12:14 PM
They look nice Josh.

Is there any more to the story like size and type?

How about the hunt?

jtk

Jim,

The number three I found years ago before I had a clue about planes. Cant exactly remember Where I picked it up but I’m sure at a flea market. I had stored it in the loft of my dads barn during the divorce, and had forgotten about it. When I ran across it later, after I had started wood working, I realized wow that’s a pretty nice number three! Think it’s a type 11.

The no 4 I’ve looked at all my life hanging in my dads barn. He’d gotten it from his dad, whom I never knew (He died as a young man) A few years ago I finally figured out how to sharpen it and that’s the plane that started me down the path of wood working with hand tools. I built my work bench with it, a flea market hand saw and a coupe of buck brothers chisels. I believe its’s a type 9 - It’s corrugated.

The number 5c bedrock I bought from a gentleman on eBay that does a good job at refurbishing planes. I think a type 15? Paid a lot for it ($200) but it was re-enameled, clean, sharp and ready to go. I think a lot of wood workers could get by with a 4 and 5 but what fun is that?! At one time I thought I would collect a set of bedrocks but they’re over priced and don’t perform any better. I like the look though.

The number six I’ve only had a few weeks, also off eBay but much better price, around $60 or so. A few swipes on some sandpaper to clean it up and a few swipes of the iron on the diamond plates and I’m planing with it. Current project is a mission rocker and I like this heavy plane on the long posts. I like it on the shooting board too. It’s heavy, my forearm is sore from using it but the heft just glides through that white oak. I think it’s a type 18. I’ll add a 7 and 8 At some point just to have them, don’t need them at this point. And of course if I found a no. 1 or 2 for a buck I’d buy them ;)

Jim Koepke
11-02-2019, 2:42 PM
I’ll add a 7 and 8 At some point just to have them, don’t need them at this point. And of course if I found a no. 1 or 2 for a buck I’d buy them

It seems many who start using planes have a similar approach. Be careful it can become habit forming:

This image is from five years ago. Another shelf of molding planes has been added. There is also a bench across the room with a half dozen planes stowed there.

jtk

Mike Manning
11-02-2019, 4:32 PM
Nice group of working planes Josh. Congrats!

It seems many who start using planes have a similar approach. Be careful it can become habit forming:

This image is from five years ago. Another shelf of molding planes has been added. There is also a bench across the room with a half dozen planes stowed there.

jtk

Jim, what are all those combination planes on the one shelf?

Jim Koepke
11-02-2019, 4:38 PM
[edited]
Jim, what are all those combination planes on the one shelf?

Those are Stanley #45s and one #50. At one time it seemed like a good idea to have a few extra. A few times 3 have actually been in use at one time. One of these days one or two of them may need to find a new home.

jtk

Bob Jones 5443
11-02-2019, 4:50 PM
"...that’s the plane that started me down the path of wood working with hand tools."

Love that story about the No. 4. Talk about "heirloom."

David Eisenhauer
11-02-2019, 7:26 PM
Nice set of users Josh, but it sounds like you may have a touch of the "collector" in you. Look to Jim (Oh Jim!) as to the oft quoted slippery slope. My #3 is probably my favorite plane and I, like many others, have quit at the #7. I'd think the #8 needs wheels and a motor to drive it and have made the jump to a wooden plane for a try plane. But, each to his own Josh and looks like you are up and running.