PDA

View Full Version : Biggest gloat of my woodworking career

Matthew Dworman
12-17-2005, 5:54 PM
Picked it up used with about 30 hours on it and nearly every accessory that comes with it. Now I just have to get it down my stairs! http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowbigeek.gif http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yelloweek.gif http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowyes.gif
http://www.archangelwoodworks.com/images/felder1.jpg
http://www.archangelwoodworks.com/images/felder2.jpg
http://www.archangelwoodworks.com/images/felder3.jpg
http://www.archangelwoodworks.com/images/felder4.jpg
http://www.archangelwoodworks.com/images/felder5.jpg
http://www.archangelwoodworks.com/images/felder6.jpg
http://www.archangelwoodworks.com/images/felder7.jpg
all motors are 5.5hp Variable speed.
Has the 30mm shaper and the high speed router spindle.
Tons of goodies!
2200 lbs........Oh My back

Kent Parker
12-17-2005, 5:59 PM
WOW:eek: Is there a chair you sit in to operate it? Strap yourself in and GO.......Yeah baby:D

Nice gloat and what a Christmas present!

Cheers,

Kent

tod evans
12-17-2005, 6:03 PM
matthew, what a wonderful christmas gift! i don`t envy your trip down the stairs, good luck. tod

Jay Knepper
12-17-2005, 6:05 PM
You are going to love that baby! I have the Hammer jointer/planer combo, and it's a great machine. Make sure to check out the Felder Owner's Group at Yahoo. You'll probably have a few questions about how to get the most out of that 731.

Vaughn McMillan
12-17-2005, 6:10 PM
One word: WOW! Very nice machine indeed, and understandably your all-time gloating high.

- Vaughn

Christian Aufreiter
12-17-2005, 6:13 PM
Congrats, Matthew! That's certainly a great machine. Enjoy.:) :)

Regerds,

Christian

Bruce Page
12-17-2005, 6:26 PM
Spectacular! But I don’t envy the move. :eek: :eek:
I figure by the time you get it disassembled enough to take downstairs, reassembled, and tuned up, Felder will want to hire you as a service rep.
Congratulations!

Jim Becker
12-17-2005, 6:29 PM
Nothing shabby about that gloat! Congratulations, Matthew!!

lou sansone
12-17-2005, 7:00 PM
nice machine ... saw it on that auction place on the internet and thought about it myself. It looked like a cream puff and well taken care of. I would be interested in a full blown report on the unit once you get it up and running.
best wishes
lou

Corey Hallagan
12-17-2005, 7:24 PM
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTT , Excellent gloat! Congrats!

Corey

Doug Shepard
12-17-2005, 7:42 PM
That's some stocking-stuffer. Are you sure you won't have to reframe and beef up those stairs first?

Ken Fitzgerald
12-17-2005, 7:52 PM
All I can say is

WOW!

Mark Singer
12-17-2005, 8:10 PM
Mathew,
Wow! That is terrific! You do great work and should have great tools! Enjoy it! Use it safe!

Frank Pellow
12-17-2005, 8:33 PM
That is certainly a machine worth gloating over. :) And, it's one that I will never have. :(

Roger Everett
12-17-2005, 8:43 PM
Certainly a fine pc. of equiptment to gloat about. If you can't get it down the stairs, You could store it in my shop for a small nominal fee.
Roger

John Bailey
12-17-2005, 8:49 PM
Very nice gloat, all that machine and it green to boot!!

John

Per Swenson
12-17-2005, 8:51 PM
Excellent!

I was all set to start ribbing, because I didn't see

the little paper clip thingy denoting picture attachments.

What a shock when I clicked on the post.

I feel silly now, thank you.

Per

Dev Emch
12-17-2005, 9:43 PM
Now that is a piece of iron! I am very impressed. Good Job. To bad I was not closer as I would come over with my rigging tools and show you how to put this baby on the first floor!

Roy Wall
12-17-2005, 9:48 PM
Merry Christmas Matthew!!!!

Richard Wolf
12-17-2005, 9:54 PM
Great gloat!

Richard

Brian Knop
12-18-2005, 12:22 AM
I'm glad it you having to get it down the stairs and not me!

Bernie Weishapl
12-18-2005, 12:28 AM
Holy Cow Matthew. What a Christmas gloat!!!!!!!!!:D

Gary Herrmann
12-18-2005, 12:51 AM
I'd show this to my wife, but I don't think it would get me anywhere. Great gloat, and good luck getting it down the stairs.

Andy Hoyt
12-18-2005, 12:57 AM
I'd show this to my wife, but ....

Just wait til HIS wife finds out!

Matthew, that honey-do list is gonna be forever!

John Lucas
12-18-2005, 1:36 AM
cant get much better than that. But do tell me that the yellow push sticks are just for appreance...and not for use. Stots push shoe and the Gripper are best IMHO

Dan Forman
12-18-2005, 5:04 AM
YOWSER!!! Now that's quite a machine you've got there. Ought to keep you busy for a while. Don't think it's going to fit under the tree though.

Dan

Matt Tawes
12-18-2005, 9:58 AM
Now that's an impressive machine.... Way to go.

Russ Massery
12-18-2005, 10:11 AM
I'd like to see a Thread on how you get this Bad Boy down those stairs.:rolleyes:
Congrats on the new machine looks impressive to say the least.

Corvin Alstot
12-18-2005, 10:16 AM
Great gloat.
Whats the story?, only 30 hours, was this a store demo machine?
Enjoy, be safe!

Matthew Dworman
12-18-2005, 10:47 AM
Well, we got it down the stairs without breaking anything or hurting anybody. A couple of 2x12's served as ramps on which we lowered the machine's 2 sections down with a winch. The hardest part was getting the sections to the top of the stairs and physically pushing and pulling until it reached the midpoint from which it colud be tilted and facing towards downstairs. Then we just lowered it down the ramps slowly and adjusted as needed. Luckily I had 5 buddies from my fire dep't here to help! They were anxious to move the machine so we could play poker afterwards...:)
So now all that's left is to re-attatch the 2 sections and plug her in!
Matt

Roy Wall
12-18-2005, 10:53 AM
Well, we got it down the stairs without breaking anything or hurting anybody. A couple of 2x12's served as ramps on which we lowered the machine's 2 sections down with a winch. The hardest part was getting the sections to the top of the stairs and physically pushing and pulling until it reached the midpoint from which it colud be tilted and facing towards downstairs. Then we just lowered it down the ramps slowly and adjusted as needed. Luckily I had 5 buddies from my fire dep't here to help! They were anxious to move the machine so we could play poker afterwards...:)
So now all that's left is to re-attatch the 2 sections and plug her in!
Matt

So does the Saw/shaper have a section and then the J/P cabinet.......?

Jim Dunn
12-18-2005, 11:00 AM
Matthew, do you have enough electricity to run that thing? I'm kidding of course or you wouldn't have bought it, right? That thing has to use an awfully large amount of amps.

It really is a very nice tool though, and I echo everone else's question as to the story of this machine.

Jim

Jim Becker
12-18-2005, 11:18 AM
So does the Saw/shaper have a section and then the J/P cabinet.......?

Roy, the Felder design allows one to split the machine for shipping/installation between the saw/shaper and the j/p side of the machine. (not for operation) Rob Russell used that capablity when he put his in the basement. This is one of the PHYSICAL things that will make the Felder the one to buy when a basement shop with narrow entry is in play...you can't split a MiniMax combo like this.

Roy Wall
12-18-2005, 11:20 AM
Roy, the Felder design allows one to split the machine for shipping/installation between the saw/shaper and the j/p side of the machine. (not for operation) Rob Russell used that capablity when he put his in the basement. This is one of the PHYSICAL things that will make the Felder the one to buy when a basement shop with narrow entry is in play...you can't split a MiniMax combo like this.

Gotcha..:cool:

Dave Anderson NH
12-18-2005, 2:27 PM
Wonderful gloat Matthew. Am I correct in assuming that this is in your home shop and not in Worcester? If you have time, I'd love to drop over and take a look.

John Renzetti
12-18-2005, 2:39 PM
Hi Matthew, That is a great gloat. Congratulations on this acquisition. It's quite a Christmas present. I'd like to some pictures of you getting those sections down the stairs. Total weight of that thing is around 2500lbs.

For John Lucas- John, those Eurostyle push sticks do work. Takes a little getting used to. That being said I do prefer the large thin one with the handle and foot on the rear. I forget where I bought it.

take care,
John

Jerry Olexa
12-18-2005, 3:05 PM
Fasten your seat belts!! WOW! that is a bigun'. Great gloat!!

Matthew Dworman
12-18-2005, 4:34 PM
Hi Matthew, That is a great gloat. Congratulations on this acquisition. It's quite a Christmas present. I'd like to some pictures of you getting those sections down the stairs. Total weight of that thing is around 2500lbs.

For John Lucas- John, those Eurostyle push sticks do work. Takes a little getting used to. That being said I do prefer the large thin one with the handle and foot on the rear. I forget where I bought it.

take care,
John

Hi John,
Sorry, I was not able to photo document the moving. But check out this thread:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=22927.
This Is basicaly the same way I did it except I used 2x12's instead of metal rails:eek: :eek:
Very very nerver racking, and we went very slowly, continuously re adjusting so that the machine would not slip off the track. If that were to have happened, it would still be there as there is no way I can think of to correct that situation safely. Byt with 6 sets of hand and eyes, we were able to do it right and although we tried to work smart not hard, we ended up working pretty hard too. If I had the $$ I would have hired riggers. I called a few, but the average cost just to show up at my house was $600 with the cheapes guy being $450. Granted, they have insurance, and when you compare that to the value of the machine it is well worth it, but I just couldn't afford it, so we did it the old fashioned way - lots of friends:) :D
Matt

Matthew Dworman
12-18-2005, 10:32 PM
I've got the 2 sections joined back together now (to separate them, I needed to cut 5 wire bundles with a total of 19 wires and wire everything back into "quick connect" boxes). We're in business!:) Pics and a writeup on the Felder will follow later this week.
Matthew

Pete Harbin
12-18-2005, 11:03 PM
Where is it? Behind the tank? I don't see a gloat! :D

Nice score Matthew!

Pete

Chris Padilla
12-19-2005, 2:11 AM
Santa came a bit early! Nice, very nice....

Rob Russell
12-19-2005, 10:54 AM
It's a bit late to tell you now, but I used a come-a-long I bought at the big box for $40 to pull the machines into the stairway until gravity took over and the machines tilted down the stairs on their own.

Rob

Paul Canaris
12-19-2005, 11:42 AM
Youll love the accuracy that comes with a machine made in Austria. :)
I have not regreted my own purchases for a moment.:p

Stan Thigpen
12-19-2005, 11:55 AM
Typical garage sale find.

Mike Zozakiewicz
12-19-2005, 2:30 PM
Wow, primo gloat! Congratulations! I showed the pictures to my Craftsman contractor saw, and well...you've seen that Mitsubishi 4x4 commerial?..enough said!

Matthew Dworman
12-20-2005, 9:14 AM
Youll love the accuracy that comes with a machine made in Austria. :)
I have not regreted my own purchases for a moment.:p
The acuracy is absolutely amazing on this machine. I love the fact that every knob and dial has a re-settable micrometer. No more raising the blade, checking, adjusting, checking again, adjustig again, etc. - just dial it right up to the exact hight I need with a readout of 0.001":eek: and 1/10*- No more dial calipers on the thickness planer - it is a dial caliper.

Kent Cori
12-20-2005, 9:20 AM
Matthew,

You now owe me a new laptop. I drooled all over my key board when I saw your new toy and shorted it out! :eek:

Congrats!

Kelly C. Hanna
12-20-2005, 11:41 AM
That is one serious piece of machinery you got there!!! Your back will hate ya, but your projects will love ya! Congrats on a huge gloat!

Any minute now Tyler will be on to thank you for the pic so he can rest a bit. :D

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
12-20-2005, 11:50 AM
Super Duper!!

That would take up my whole Dungeon!!!:eek:

Careful with the move!!:D

Rob Russell
12-20-2005, 4:24 PM

Jim,

Just to be clear, the machines I ordered were semi-combos - saw/shaper and j/p. I didn't order the full-on combo and split it for moving purposes. Frankly, I'm not sure I could "reassemble" the 2 machines to form a single combo.

Rob

Matthew Dworman
12-20-2005, 5:20 PM
Jim,

Just to be clear, the machines I ordered were semi-combos - saw/shaper and j/p. I didn't order the full-on combo and split it for moving purposes. Frankly, I'm not sure I could "reassemble" the 2 machines to form a single combo.

Rob
My unit allows for a split into those two sections - jointer/planer and saw/shaper for transport. From what I understand, if at a leter point I decide I would rather have the two separate units rather, I can get an accessory that will allow for "permanent" separation into 2 machines

scott bonder
12-20-2005, 5:45 PM
i love mine and i know you will love yours as well. great service too when you have questions. check out the felders user group on yahoo. very active and helpful.