PDA

View Full Version : Woodpeckers inserts

Jim Kountz
12-17-2005, 4:32 PM
Im hoping theres a few owners of the woodpeckers line of router inserts here that could answer a couple questions for me. Im wondering mainly about the red twist in reducing rings and how well they fit and does sawdust affect the ease in which they are removed/installed? Do they sit nice and flush with the surface? I have a cheaper phenolic insert now and the rings are all different heights (slightly) making some, really precise, operations impossible. The Woodpecker inserts look really well made and thought out. Im looking at the Plungelift to be specific. Any opinions??

Thanks!

Jim

Dave Richards
12-17-2005, 4:39 PM
Jim,

I have three of the rings with the Plunge Lift I bought from them. They seem to fit nicely. Snug and flush. They don't seem to collect a lot of dust. Only problem I have is I don't have enough variety in sizes. Guess I could buy more of them.

Rick Shelton
12-17-2005, 5:00 PM
They work very well. Nicely machined. No problems at all.

Like the previous post, though, I need to order the full set.

John Miliunas
12-17-2005, 6:15 PM
Jim, likewise to what Dave and Rick said. I've been toying with the idea of saving a few $$$ and getting their phenolic inserts. My theory is, everything else I've purchased from them has been spot on, so it may not be too much of a gamble.:) :cool:

Chris Barton
12-17-2005, 6:36 PM
Same as what everyone else said plus one of the standard rings will accept standard PC collars. You can't get a better lift!

Bob Johnson2
12-17-2005, 8:09 PM
I also find the fit just fine, I do have a problem with the tool they give you to tighten/loosen them though. I have to tap it with a mallet to get them turned enough to hold, if you don't tighten them enough they come loose in use, at least mine does. It's a lack of leverage. m going to see what the machinists at work can come up with to replace it. By no means should this be a deciding factor, it's pretty minor.

Dave Falkenstein
12-17-2005, 8:15 PM
I purchased the Plunge lift with three rings, and later added the full set of rings when they were on sale. The spanner wrench is a little tricky, but I have no trouble getting the rings tight with the supplied wrench. The rings are flush with the plate when tightened. Excellent quality stuff.

Ron Robinson
12-17-2005, 8:18 PM
I recently added the 8pc. set to the ones that came with my Aluminum table insert. Great fit and easy on and off. A quality product IMHO.

Ron

Russ Massery
12-17-2005, 8:43 PM
Same here no problem, I have the plunge lift also love it. Highly recommond it.

Dick Bringhurst
12-17-2005, 9:06 PM
I have the full set and have not had any problem with any of them. They fit flush and are easy to install and remove. I have a fixed base PC 7518 installed. Dick B.

Rick Shelton
12-17-2005, 10:08 PM
I've got a question for those of you that have the full set of aluminum inserts. What is the blank insert for? Just something that I've been wondering about. :cool:

Dave Richards
12-17-2005, 10:12 PM
I don't have a full set yet but I'd guess it's a dust cover? Just kidding. :D It's to allow you to create a zero clearance (or nearly zero clearance) insert or an opening size not covered in the set.

Mark Carlson
12-17-2005, 10:14 PM
I have the PRL with 3 rings. They work well. I've been thinking about buying some more rings. It looks like my experience is the same as everyone elses. I also wondered about the blank insert. Pretty much any size you'd want is represented so I'm guessing its to completly cover the hole for some process that might get stuck in the hole. I'm not sure what that process would be though. Its a mystery:)

~mark

John Keane
12-17-2005, 10:56 PM
I have the phenolic set and several of the aluminum rings. Like everything else I have from Woodpeckers they work as advertised.

Allen Bookout
12-18-2005, 1:05 AM
I have the aluminum plate with the big Milwaukee bolted to it. Rings are snug and flat. Easy in and out with no saw dust problem. First class product!!!! Allen

John Lucas
12-18-2005, 1:31 AM
On word from Woodpeckers owner, the blank one is for making your own but more for serving as a cap for use when not using the router table. There are a lot of these mounted in the TS extensions. If anything drops down, the search can be pretty aggrevating...not to mention dirt and dust getting down there.

JayStPeter
12-18-2005, 9:06 AM
Something nobody mentioned is that all the Woodpeck inserts are the same size. So, if you buy one and later want to upgrade to a plungelift or PRL, just swap it out ... done.
I have a plungelift and a regular Al insert.

I will probably buy a couple new insert plates in between the 3 I have. But, mine fit flush and collect no dust. The removal tool is a little clunky sometimes, but that is a very minor complaint.

Woodpeck also has great customer service. I had a problem with my 3+ yr. old plungelift, sent it back, and they fixed it. All I paid is shipping to them.

Jay

Jim Kountz
12-18-2005, 9:21 AM
Ok so what everyone is saying is that these things are no good at all right?? LOL Just kidding, what an overwhelming response! Guess I cant go wrong with this setup. Now Im watching that auction site for a Hitachi M12 to go with it!! Thanks guys!.

Russ Massery
12-18-2005, 9:56 AM
Jim, I have M12V in my plungelift Great table router for the money. Check out are own John Lucas's site http://www.woodshopdemos.com/
He has a great article on modifying it for table use. ;)

Scott Tiewski
12-18-2005, 10:21 AM
PRL and full set of rings since 2003, love em both, no problems.

Dick Bringhurst
12-18-2005, 10:57 AM
It is a dust cover. My router is mounted in my table saw extension and I love the blank cover to keep the saw dust out of the router when it is not running. Didk B.

Bob Yedinak
12-19-2005, 1:31 PM
I received my new quick lift from Woodpeckers about 2 weeks ago and it also has the twist in rings. I cannot speak highly enough about this product-it is first class, and the rings are flush with the plate-I intend to get the full set of rings "when my ship comes in." (but with my luck, I will probably be at the airport!!
Bob

John Gregory
12-19-2005, 2:03 PM
I purchased the Plunge lift with three rings, and later added the full set of rings when they were on sale. The spanner wrench is a little tricky, but I have no trouble getting the rings tight with the supplied wrench. The rings are flush with the plate when tightened. Excellent quality stuff.

My experience is the same as Dave. Full set and very happy with the set up

John

oak barrett
12-19-2005, 7:33 PM
hate to ask a dumb question, but i have zero experience with router tables..

does the woodpecker insert just sit in the recess of the table, and held down by gravity and the weight of the router?

i notice the 8 holes around the permiter, but those are just for the leveling, correct?

John Miliunas
12-19-2005, 8:00 PM
Oak, not a dumb question at all and, you're correct on both counts! The leveling screws are a very nice feature, not found on all inserts, though most inserts simply do just rest in the recess. :) :cool:

Rick Shelton
12-19-2005, 9:15 PM
hate to ask a dumb question, but i have zero experience with router tables..

does the woodpecker insert just sit in the recess of the table, and held down by gravity and the weight of the router?

i notice the 8 holes around the permiter, but those are just for the leveling, correct?

The leveling screws and it has spring loaded bearings that push out from the sides to keep the insert tight.