PDA

View Full Version : Now for something completely different...

Chris Barton
12-17-2005, 2:50 PM
This is a rustic HF that I turned out of sassafrass (boy it smells so good while you turn it) with plenty of bark inclusions and lichen. This is from a log I grabbed from a trash pile last year. I still have about 3 feet of the trunk of this tree and had thought about doing these rustic HFs with the idea that they could be planters for either orchids or some other decorative plants. What do you think, good idea or too much caffeine?:D

Jim Becker
12-17-2005, 2:58 PM
Very nice, Chris. I like the style of this piece.

I've seen a few turnings like this from members of my local AAW chapter and the contrast between the bark and the shaped areas is quite nice...always pleasing. (Try a few different species to see what kind of effects you get, especially with those that have a remarkable difference between sap and heart)

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-17-2005, 4:04 PM
Can't say anything about the Caffeine, but I like what I see!

Bruce

Clem Wixted
12-17-2005, 4:15 PM
Hey Chris,

Nice looking piece. Is the pith still in the wood? If so any cracks?

Clem

Keith Burns
12-17-2005, 4:25 PM
Very nice piece Chris. I like it very much:) :)

Ken Fitzgerald
12-17-2005, 4:46 PM
Chris....I like the shape, the contrast and the color!

I haven't had any sassafrass tea in several years.....As a child, our boy scout troop would harvest the roots and sell them as a fund raiser. It also got the saplings out of the drainage ditches in the area where I lived. My hillbilly paternal grandmother believed there was a medicinal property to the tea.

Nice turning!

Ernie Nyvall
12-17-2005, 5:16 PM
I really like it Chris.

I'd love to turn some sassafrass ( not a hint). I remember digging the roots when I was a kid to boil for the flavor. It filled the house with a wonderful aroma.

Ernie

Andy Hoyt
12-17-2005, 5:18 PM
Too cool, Chris!

Love the colors and that other stuff happening in it.

Dick Parr
12-17-2005, 5:29 PM
Really nice Chris, I say go for it.;)

John Hart
12-17-2005, 5:33 PM
My first thought was that you painted the design! It looks so wonderfully intentional the way you've captured its character and then went on for the shape. It's a great idea. Have another cup.:)

Kent Parker
12-17-2005, 5:54 PM
Way good Chris! I always like to see a little of nature left.

Kent

Rich Stewart
12-18-2005, 12:53 AM
I really like the 'rustic' look in everything. From houses to planters. That is great. I saw a local garden store selling bird houses that looked alot like that. Just add a roof and a hole in the front and you have the same thing they were selling for 49 bucks. I almost bought one but though I might try making one in the future. I am interested in the checking or any other problems you may have had with this piece.

Chris Barton
12-18-2005, 9:12 AM
Thanks Everyone,

So, I guess this will be a "keeper" idea and I especially like Rich's idea about doing bird houses. The particular log I have is from a tree that was cut down almost a year ago. I haven't progressed to the point of sealing ends and such on my logs to prevent checking, at least not on my cheap freebies. I just cut off any checked portion and keep going. So far I haven't seen any chacking in this particular piece but, the first green wood bowl I ever turned came from this log as well and it has a nice big radial crack in it so, I expect no less from this piece. But, that might not be a bad thing. I plan for this to be "garden art" so, imperfections just add to the ambiance...

Greg Heppeard
12-18-2005, 12:00 PM
Well, if it's too much caffeine, come on over and I'll make us some expresso. I like it, I like it.

Jim Ketron
12-18-2005, 10:17 PM
very nice Chris! I think your on to something here!;)