PDA

View Full Version : one area of my driveway much colder- why?

Kev Williams
10-29-2019, 11:31 AM
It snowed this morning, not much but enough to stick in spots- I have this one spot in my driveway where snow takes forever to melt, trying to understand why? It's probably been going on forever but I finally noticed it last January, so I took a couple of pics, this is one-
notice that there's no snow on the ground anywhere else in the camera view!

This I took a few minutes ago- not exactly the same spot but same general place--

my guess is it's a simple explanation, such as the concrete is much thicker there, or much thinner-? If it was thinner I would think the concrete-53 years old- would be broken up, but it's not. And whether it's thicker OR thinner, no where else in the general vicinity is concrete or asphalt holding onto snow like this, so how much thinner or thicker than the neighborhood average thickness would it have to be to be so much colder? All the concrete is from the original pour except for the far left section, which my dad added around 1970, if that matters...

??

Jim Koepke
10-29-2019, 12:17 PM
It may be due to what is under the cement. There could be a small frozen pond underneath. There could be a void that doesn't get warmth from the ground as much as the other areas.

jtk

Kev Williams
10-29-2019, 2:00 PM
for what it's worth, after taking the above pic and posting this, I was making a coffee and looking out the window I noticed my new driveway- about 70 left of the old driveway- was covered with snow. The new driveway is about 4 years old, a 4" thick 6-bag pour. I'm assuming why it's holding snow is because it's never had salt or ice melter on it...

The main driveway, since my place is a business, gets ice melter religiously whenever it snows or gets way cold.

Myk Rian
10-30-2019, 10:45 PM
Wasn't this posted before: like last winter? I distinctly remember subject and pictures.

Bruce Page
10-30-2019, 11:02 PM
Wasn't this posted before: like last winter? I distinctly remember subject and pictures.

Whew, I thought I was losing it.

Doug Garson
10-30-2019, 11:26 PM
deja vu all over again:rolleyes:

Frederick Skelly
10-30-2019, 11:59 PM

Me too...........

John Lanciani
10-31-2019, 6:48 AM

It was earlier this year... https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?271195-Can-anyone-explain-this&highlight=

Ken Fitzgerald
10-31-2019, 11:34 AM
I find myself repeating questions but on a lot more frequent basis than this!

Bruce Page
10-31-2019, 12:39 PM

Oh yeah, me too!

Myk Rian
10-31-2019, 12:59 PM

I keep forgetting the question.