PDA

View Full Version : Bowls and Boxes

Chris Barton
12-17-2005, 1:07 PM
Hi Everyone,

Here is what I have been turning lately; cherry bowls and Beal boxes. The cherry is from John Hart (thanks again John!) and the brown top on one of the Beal boxes is Malee Burl scrap, the other is some spalted maple scrap, and the two remaining are purple hart and olive. As you can see from one of my "before" pictures, the cherry for the first (broken) bowl had some checking in it but I managed to turn it out. Unfortunately, while finishing the bottom outside I got a catch and the bowl went flying...

Andy Hoyt
12-17-2005, 1:15 PM
Chris - The nice thing about that busted bowl is that it shows a consistent wall thickness. Nice. Oh, and by the by, I have a lot of those too; and found a use for them. Screwed a bunch to the wall right near the lathe and each one holds an itty bitty piece of a specific grit of sanding strip stuff. Also reminds me to go slow!

Is Beal a wood - never heard of it.

Chris Barton
12-17-2005, 1:29 PM
Hi Andy,

Thanks, I am glad to hear that 1) I am not the only person that "kills" harmless bowls and 2) that there is a good use for the remains. The "Beal" boxes are made using a mandrel and I mistakenly put Beal down (still thinking about the buffing system) instead of the correct name of the mandrel maker, Treen.

Dennis Peacock
12-17-2005, 3:29 PM
Chris,

Sometimes...bowls become platters or saucers. Sometimes, bowls become wooden funnels or some fancey-shmancey firewood for the new woodstove. Every once in a while? I get to keep what appears to be a complete and finished bowl. :D :rolleyes: ;)

Bill Stevener
12-17-2005, 4:19 PM
Hi Chris,

I believe what some show, or present as a scoop, was a result similar to your misfortune. Some say they made it that way, turned it in a bowl fashion, cut it out and applied a handle. You can finish that off, turn a large handle and have a scoop to clean up your shavings and chips.
I think the boxes are neat.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Andy Hoyt
12-17-2005, 4:51 PM
Bill's right. Nearly every scoop I've ever made started out as a really bad goblet.

Ernie Nyvall
12-17-2005, 5:08 PM
I've made a few scoops.:rolleyes: Everyone who received loved it and didn't have a clue.

The boxes and other bowl are very nice.

Ernie

Dick Parr
12-17-2005, 5:33 PM
Really nice looking boxes Chris and I love the cherry. That other one looks just like the one that a neighbor was more then happy to get--as kindling.:(

Again, very nice.

John Hart
12-17-2005, 5:39 PM
They all look great Chris! The boxes are very cool. I use my "scoops" to heat the house. :o

Rich Stewart
12-18-2005, 12:47 AM
Tough luck on the bowl. Hate when that happens. The other bowl is great though. Nice work. I really like those boxes too. I have been doing boxes lately too but nothing that tall. Mine are all about three inches tall and inch and a half diameter.

Chris Barton
12-18-2005, 9:18 AM
Thanks Everyone,

My ultimate idea with the Treen boxes is to use them as kitchen matches containers. I recess the bottoms to hold a small strike plate made of sandpaper. I have tested this idea on a few of my neighbors and they have all liked it so far. It is surprising that now with fewer and fewer people smoking how many people don't keep any way to light a fire in their house. I got the idea at a party I went to not long ago where the host wanted to light some candles and realized she didn't have a match, lighter or any other source of fire.