PDA

View Full Version : 5 1/4 by 60'' maple acorntop

ROBERT SCHUMAN
12-17-2005, 12:30 PM
Well since nobody does spindel work any more ,thought I would add this one..it is a eastern maple acorn top newel cut the x'ss by hand with a file and chisel (havnt figured how to do it with a router yet?) any sugestions ?My lathe is set up for fluting in the back ground...what ya think ?

Jim Dunn
12-17-2005, 12:45 PM
Very nice Robert. Is that a professional piece or for your home?

Andy Hoyt
12-17-2005, 12:47 PM
Robert - That is a classy looking post. Be proud to have it in my house.

And Hey, I do spindle work all the time. Especially after I get all stressed out from doing that bowly stuff, which drives me nuts.

John Miliunas
12-17-2005, 1:14 PM
Robert, I'll second what Andy said about it being very classy looking! Well done. As for the "x's", just MHO but, I'd say to NOT change a thing about the way you're doing them! I think if you find a way to machine them in there, it will look exactly like that: machined. Doing them by hand is, I'm sure, more time consuming but, it really adds to the custom look.:) :D

ROBERT SCHUMAN
12-17-2005, 2:15 PM
Thanks for the complemnts ! nice to see that people like my work.
and yes it is a (work) machine it was 30,000 used .I am looking at buying one for myself and starting my own business, I have a site for free thats already wired , cheap or for free and three major stair manufacturers that will buy from me ...
but it scares me to think about it...the what ifsss.
thanks again

Gary DeWitt
12-17-2005, 2:17 PM
Very nice looking post, Robert. Cleanly cut.
To cut the "xes" by machine, you need gearing on the lathe that ties in to gearing along the ways that advances your cutting tool (router) so there is synchronization between the turning piece and the cutter. There are plans out there on how to do this, but not worth it at all for the occaisional use.
Sure would like to see your fluting rig unobscured and in close up!

ROBERT SCHUMAN
12-17-2005, 2:19 PM
thats funny cause I do face plate work when I get all stressed out from spindle work.........:)

try turning a 50'' 1 1/4 baluster then have to flute it...what a pain in the ....well you know.

ROBERT SCHUMAN
12-17-2005, 2:21 PM
I am going to take some pictures on monday ..I forgot my camera was going to do it friday..
should post on Monday night my time.. and I do have the gearing hmm... just need the right v bit and the correct ratio for the rake by gollie it might work.! thanks

Ernie Nyvall
12-17-2005, 5:56 PM
Really cool Robert. I like he chiseled look.

Ernie

Steve Clardy
12-17-2005, 6:39 PM
I use a seperate fluting box. I do a lot of this kind of work.

ROBERT SCHUMAN
12-18-2005, 5:40 PM
Here is a link to the manufacturers website should be able to get a really good look at it....lots of short videos.

http://www.hapfo.co.uk/tech/vidpage.htm

Steve that is a nice router box.Do you have separate Indexing heads for more cuts...8 , 10 12 .. a nice adition would be a self centing chuck on each end make centering and turning easier...