PDA

View Full Version : SAC RS63s planer table travel trouble

Alyssa VanZandt
10-28-2019, 3:09 PM
I have an SAC RS63S planer with a tersa head. Seems to work great however recently I raised the bed all the way up and now it wont go back down. I've tested the switch, its fine. The machine starts and stops I just cant seem to get the bed to move downward. I know it can travel upward because it originally stopped traveling downward around .375" but I was able to raise it up to its minimum at <.25". I cant find anything in the manual about a contact switch that needs to be reset or any way to manually move the table down. Also the company went out of business in 2014 and I can't seem to find anyone familiar with these machines.
Any advice would be helpful.

David Kumm
10-28-2019, 3:54 PM
Does the motor run when you try to lower the table or is it dead? I don't remember a kill switch if the table is moved to close to the head. Darcy might know. I think the first picture is just for the digital readout. . Have you removed the front panel and looked at the electrics inside? Dave

Alyssa VanZandt
10-28-2019, 4:54 PM
Does the motor run when you try to lower the table or is it dead? I don't remember a kill switch if the table is moved to close to the head. Darcy might know. I think the first picture is just for the digital readout. . Have you removed the front panel and looked at the electrics inside? Dave

Dave-

the motor doesn' t run when lowering the table I think this is the problem. I have removed the front panel to look at the electronics and from what I can tell everything is in place. This has happened once before and i opened everything up, jiggled some wires and after a while it started working again. Not the case this time, its proving to be a bit more difficult. But both times it was because the table was lifted all the way up thats why I assume theres a limit stop. Does anyone know of a company that sells replacement parts or who used to sell this brand and can fix it?

Darcy Warner
10-28-2019, 5:07 PM
I currently own one of these and have a manual.

Alyssa VanZandt
10-28-2019, 7:25 PM
Darcy

I have a manual however the only thing I see about table lift is "when possible wrong maneuver locks machining table against upper stop......revert opposite direction using switch" which makes it seem like there is no way to put it down manually

Jim Becker
10-28-2019, 9:00 PM
I'm not familiar with this particular tool, but if the unit has breakers on the electronics, one might have activated if you ran it all the way up to the limit. The few times something stopped working on my SMC/Minimax slider, it's been a breaker on the "panel behind the panel"...which requires removing a bunch of bolts to get to, of course. ;)

Darcy Warner
10-28-2019, 9:52 PM
It won't go down manually, irritating, get a meter, check your control circuits, look for tripped overloads.

Larry Edgerton
10-29-2019, 6:38 AM
Curious how this unfolds as I have an SCMI with the same setup, and upper limit switch @ about 1/8". I wish it had a crank for just this reason.

Alyssa VanZandt
10-29-2019, 1:31 PM
this isnt helpful, but it just started working again. which is what happened last time. Everyday for a week and half i fiddle with it and nothing happens then one day it starts to work.. Just best to wait it out i guess

Jim Becker
10-29-2019, 4:56 PM
Alyssa, a lot of the time on Euro type machines that get, um...random about functioning...it's because of an issue with a safety switch or limit switch if it's not a breaker/overload situation.

Darcy Warner
10-29-2019, 6:36 PM
Alyssa, a lot of the time on Euro type machines that get, um...random about functioning...it's because of an issue with a safety switch or limit switch if it's not a breaker/overload situation.

Honestly, it's the sum of the cheap IEC components.

Hers was probably an overload.

Get a meter, figure out the issue before it gets expensive

David Kumm
10-29-2019, 8:50 PM
+1 on what Darcy said. Other than a proprietary controller , all the modules inside the SAC are off the shelf. IEC stuff is compact in size but doesn't last so I always have a extras or at least identify where i can have them shipped quickly. Dave