PDA

View Full Version : OK, Got my Wireless Routers and USB Adapters - Up and running!!

Corey Hallagan
12-17-2005, 12:09 PM
Ok, I got 3 things to do today. Install the Router, the Wirless USB Adapter and the Cox Software. They are Linksy Wireless G by the way with Speed Booser. Questions:

!. Which of these should be done first? Install Router on downstairs computer or Cox Software on upstairs new computer? Cox software is already on the computer down stairs where the modem is.

2. The install disk does get run on the downstairs computer, right?

3. Plug the USB Adapter to my new computer and run that disk on the new computer, right?

Thanks for any help.

Corey

Jim DeLaney
12-17-2005, 12:20 PM
Ok, I got 3 things to do today. Install the Router, the Wirless USB Adapter and the Cox Software. They are Linksy Wireless G by the way with Speed Booser. Questions:

!. Which of these should be done first? Install Router on downstairs computer or Cox Software on upstairs new computer? Cox software is already on the computer down stairs where the modem is.

2. The install disk does get run on the downstairs computer, right?

3. Plug the USB Adapter to my new computer and run that disk on the new computer, right?

Thanks for any help.

Corey

For mine, with the software already on one computer, all that had to be done was install the router, and the wireless card in both computers, with power down on the modem, and the router, and both computers.

Then, plug in the modem and wait for it to boot completely - takes about two minutes on my modem - then power up the router, then finally boot up both computers. The one with the software already installed should be up and online with no further work required. Finally, boot the other computer and install the software. it should recognize the incoming signal from the router.

This worked for me. YMMV.

BTW, the 'order of connection' - ie: modem, then router, then computer was critical with my installation. Again, YMMV.

Corey Hallagan
12-17-2005, 12:30 PM
Thanks Jim, I am going to give it a shot! Here goes nothing!
Corey

Corey Hallagan
12-17-2005, 2:09 PM
Ok, I am up and running and posting from the new computer!! And boy is it fast. Thanks to all for your help!

Corey

Jim Becker
12-17-2005, 3:04 PM
There is no need to install "the software" on computers that are behind a router...in fact, it's preferable not to. (There is often a lot of garbage on cable modem and DSL provider's "software" that can screw up a perfectly working computer... ;)

Dennis Peacock
12-17-2005, 3:22 PM
There is no need to install "the software" on computers that are behind a router...in fact, it's preferable not to. (There is often a lot of garbage on cable modem and DSL provider's "software" that can screw up a perfectly working computer... ;)

Agree completely...!!!! BTDT!!!!!! Had to rebuild my PC afterwords. :rolleyes:

Corey Hallagan
12-17-2005, 3:48 PM
I called my brother in law and he walked me thru it. He said install nothing if it will set up without it. Worked good!
Thanks guys,
Corey

Curt Harms
12-17-2005, 5:50 PM
talked about. We have Verizon DSL. When we first got it, I wanted to see if it worked before commiting to the network gear. I spent an hour or more on the phone with Verizon before I got a connection, the Verizon software was not the most intuitive I've ever worked with. Ok, it worked. Went out and bought the router(same as yours, Corey..good router) and adapters. It took about 20 minutes to set everything up, and worked great. The router has a hardware firewall albeit not as robust as the professional gear. There are also setting in the administration pages to limit wireless access, enable encryption etc. Shoulda just bought the networking gear and saved the grief...live and learn:o

I called my brother in law and he walked me thru it. He said install nothing if it will set up without it. Worked good!
Thanks guys,
Corey