PDA

View Full Version : New - Veritas Hand Jointer

Hilton Ralphs
10-28-2019, 9:16 AM
Now this looks interesting for those who deal with smaller scale work.

This hand jointing (https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/jigs-guides-and-fixtures/110518-veritas-hand-jointer?utm_source=Monthly-New-Product-Arrivals&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=What%27s-New-This-Month) accessory for the Veritas medium and large shoulder planes lets you bring the work to the plane instead, giving you better control of the cut.

Günter VögelBerg
10-28-2019, 10:38 AM
I'm having trouble understanding the use case for this tool. To me it seems like a solution looking for a problem.

Jim Koepke
10-28-2019, 1:28 PM
I'm having trouble understanding the use case for this tool. To me it seems like a solution looking for a problem.

Many have used this solution in the past when encountering various problems:

With a fence mounted on the bench it can work like a jointer. The fence can be angled to make a controlled chamfer.

If a person has a use for this kind of apparatus, it is also likely they should have the skill to build one.

jtk

Frederick Skelly
10-28-2019, 7:19 PM
Many have used this solution in the past when encountering various problems:

I do the same as Jim. I wonder how this accessory will sell?

Jim Koepke
10-28-2019, 8:50 PM
I do the same as Jim. I wonder how this accessory will sell?

It would have been great if the bed was adjustable with a protractor to set the angles.

Patrick Leach had a used shoot board listed that is able to set the angle on two axis at the same time.

http://www.supertool.com/forsale/oct/f1.jpg

Found the link.

jtk

Ron Kellison
10-29-2019, 6:46 AM
It has the Veritas branding... of course it will sell!

William Fretwell
10-29-2019, 8:42 AM
You can make a custom end stopped dado in a piece of wood for a particular project, mount it in a vise or between dogs and use a plane the way it was intended, keeping your fingers away from the blade.

Frederick Skelly
10-29-2019, 9:37 AM
Ya know, it just occurred to me that I should be able to use my shooting board and shooting plane tp do what this new accessory does. I'll try that tonight and see....

Günter VögelBerg
10-29-2019, 9:47 AM
Ya know, it just occurred to me that I should be able to use my shooting board and shooting plane tp do what this new accessory does. I'll try that tonight and see....

I clamp a rafter square onto the shooting board to provide a temporary fence parallel to the plane.

Jamie Buxton
10-29-2019, 12:11 PM
I've occasionally used Jim's approach. For me, the problem is to avoid cutting myself. I'm pushing the workpiece past the plane, with my finger kinda hooked over the end to provide pushing force. The wood exits the blade and snaps forward. The pushing finger hits the blade. Blood and bad words follow.

Tom M King
10-29-2019, 4:42 PM
When I run small parts, like that, I use the erasers on two pencils as push sticks.

Jim Koepke
10-29-2019, 7:49 PM
I've occasionally used Jim's approach. For me, the problem is to avoid cutting myself. I'm pushing the workpiece past the plane, with my finger kinda hooked over the end to provide pushing force. The wood exits the blade and snaps forward. The pushing finger hits the blade. Blood and bad words follow.

When I run small parts, like that, I use the erasers on two pencils as push sticks.

My reply to Jamie was also going to be about using a push stick.

jtk

Don Dorn
11-01-2019, 3:45 AM
Could I not clamp a shoulder plane or #10 to the bench from the rear and accomplish the same thing? Perhaps I'm missing something, and probably am.

Eric Danstrom
11-01-2019, 8:46 AM
I'm always surprised how well designed and reasonable priced Veritas products are. At $36 it looks to be another good value from Veritas. And the amount of Veritas product made outside of China is a nice bonus. Bespoked squares for $150 seem a little silly in comparison....

Jim Koepke
11-01-2019, 10:29 AM
Bespoked squares for $150 seem a little silly in comparison....

My bespoked squares cost a lot less. They were made by me:

Not as pretty as the ones costing $150, but it works fine. This one was given to my grandson when he was interested in cutting dovetails.

jtk