PDA

View Full Version : Quilt-top Boxes

Lee DeRaud
12-17-2005, 12:04 PM
Blame Vaughn for these: he posted the link to Al Ladd's website awhile back.:D I 'cheated' though: these are veneer...hundreds of 1/2" squares of veneer.:eek:

Rectangular box is poplar outer shell, cherry inner shell, wenge accent. Top is oak, mahogany, walnut, rosewood, and maple.
Square box is red oak with wenge accent, same woods on top plus cherry.

Brett Baldwin
12-17-2005, 1:08 PM
Those are some sharp boxes. They bring to mind a kaliedescope when I look at them. I really like the beveled corner on the top box. It dresses up the finger joint well.

Jim Becker
12-17-2005, 2:29 PM
Veener....schlameer...they look great! The end result is what counts! (And veneer is safer for small projects like this, IMHO, relative to the cutting operations)

Vaughn McMillan
12-17-2005, 2:56 PM
Very cool stuff, Lee, like always. The pattern came out great and I like the corner treatments on both of the boxes.

And it ain't cheating just because you used skinny lumber. ;) You still had to painstakingly cut out each little square...by hand...with a sharpened rock...under bad lighting conditions...in the cold and rain...dang, I'm getting a tear in my eye just thinking about the deplorable conditions you must have gone through to create these boxes. No siree, you didn't cheat at all. :rolleyes:

- Vaughn

Bernie Weishapl
12-17-2005, 3:16 PM
Lee those are some awesome looking boxes. Veneer looks good. Combination of the woods look good.

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-17-2005, 3:59 PM
And people make comments about my Itty Bitty work!

Your middle name, LEE, is Patience!
Great lookin'!

Bruce

Corey Hallagan
12-17-2005, 5:43 PM
Excellent Lee!! Those are great looking boxes! Thanks for the photos.

Corey

Frank Chaffee
12-17-2005, 6:59 PM
Wow Lee,
What I want to know is how a guy nearly my age can place all those small pieces of veneer so precisely?
That Al Ladd is an inspiration, isn't he.
Geez, now I have to watch both you and Vaughn (not to mention several other hog dogs on this forum).
Thanks,
Frank