PDA

View Full Version : Slipping link belt on large bandsaw

Dueane Hicks
10-27-2019, 10:12 PM
I have a Delta 20” bandsaw that I am fixing up. I replaced the original v belt (trashed) with a link belt. The oem motor is a 3450 2hp and the pulley is only about 3.5” in diameter with the cast iron pulley on the cast iron drive wheel (part of the wheel) is about 15”. No matter how tight I get this link belt; the small pulley on the motor slips and squeals when starting. I cannot get the bandsaw wheel off to put on an oem belt. I sanded out the pulley so it is rust and dirt free. What am I screwing up? Or is that because the link-belt is such a hard material that it slips on this small pulley? I’m sending this thing back to amazon!

Bill Dufour
10-28-2019, 9:30 AM
Are you saying the bandwheel and the driven pulley sheave are cast as one piece? two Hp does seem high for a link belt on such a small pulley.
Bill D

Erik Loza
10-28-2019, 10:11 AM
Never run a link belt on a machine personally but have checked them out on other people's machines and what always struck me is that you are probably giving up 30% of the OEM grip to begin with, since there are the "gaps" between the links. Also, the link material seemed hard to me. Maybe they're only for really low-torque applications?

Erik

David Kumm
10-28-2019, 10:23 AM
The link belt might not be the issue but it isn't an appropriate power transmission belt for the high torque bandsaw needs. Dave

Dueane Hicks
10-30-2019, 8:57 PM
I sent the link belt back and went and got a auto v belt. Works great, no slipping!