PDA

View Full Version : Garden Chair & Ottoman

Tom Bain
10-27-2019, 4:14 PM
I was recently at the Marc Adams school attending a week-long class with Michael Fortune, where we built the garden chair and ottoman pictured below. It's kind of a modern interpretation of an Adirondack chair and was featured in FWW #240 and #241 (May/June 2014 and July/Aug 2014). It was a great class and my first exposure to bent lamination work. I still have to take the whole thing apart, sand it, plug the screw holes, and put a finish on it ... oh, and build 3 more :-)

Bob Falk
10-27-2019, 8:10 PM
Very nice....I bought the plans and this is on my bucket list. What kind of wood did you use? I am thinking white oak. bob

Tom Bain
10-28-2019, 9:05 PM
Bob — The lumber was supplied as part of the class and was some kind of African Mahogany. I think White Oak would work great outdoors and bends well, but would make the chair heavier.

David Eisenhauer
11-01-2019, 9:26 PM
The class you took was not wasted in any way, shape or form Tom. Very pleasing visual to the chair-ottoman combo.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-01-2019, 10:38 PM
A great modern interpretation of a classic and well executed! Well done Sir!

andrew whicker
11-04-2019, 3:01 PM
I like it. Is the hardware using threaded inserts?

Ted Calver
11-04-2019, 5:40 PM
Really nice. It actually looks more comfortable than the Adirondack chair. Is it easier to get out of?

Tom Bain
11-08-2019, 9:14 AM
Really nice. It actually looks more comfortable than the Adirondack chair. Is it easier to get out of?

Ted -- Yes it is, by design. The seat height and slope is higher/less steep than a traditional Adirondack. The back angle is still pretty high compared to say a dining chair (I think I measured mine at 118 degrees) so ideal for lounging. The only criticism might be on the length of the arms (which serve double duty as the front legs) which are not as long as a typical Adirondack, but still plenty comfy.

Tom Bain
11-08-2019, 9:16 AM
I like it. Is the hardware using threaded inserts?

It's just regular wood screws with deep counterbores. Those will get eventually get plugged, but I've got to take the whole thing apart to sand first.