PDA

View Full Version : Tips on buying used planer/thicknesser

Michail Kyriazanos
10-26-2019, 4:04 PM
Hello everyone,

My name is Mike and I live in Greece. I’ve been reading the forums the past years. I learned most of stuff through forums and videos although I had a woodworker uncle but used to do mostly kitchens out of melamine. I’m into part-time woodworking from 2010 constantly building my workshop.

I’ve been mostly building small furniture and collections stands with mostly hand tools and when a machinery was required I visited shops around me to work on them.

Now days I m moving into a much bigger shop and I’m looking to buy machinery to fill it.
I found an offer for a industrial grade Casadei FS50 combination planer/thicknesser from late 80’s. This is a real deal if the condition is right since is a 5.5kw 50cm wide machine and mortising unit offered at 1000euros(around 1100$). Im ready anyway to replace bearings and drivebelts, but I would like to know what to look for when I go see it in person.
Iron cracks are the obvious but what’s the procedure to check rollers and maybe cutterhead? Tables maybe?with a straight edge?

I’m adding some photos of the seller. It was his fathers machine, now locked away in a storage room418338418338.

Jim Becker
10-26-2019, 8:36 PM
At 50cm/500mm wide, that's going to be a (really nice) beast of a tool! Look for obvious abuse and poor maintenance and be clear on what kind of cutter head is on it as you'll likely need to source new knives. Don't worry so much about general reconditioning including belts, etc, like you mention...that's to be expected, especially on something of that age that's been in storage. You could take a good straight edge with you to be sure there isn't any major issue with flatness. ,too.

Mike Kees
10-26-2019, 9:15 PM
I wish I could find a machine like that one. The mortising attachment is huge,the whole machine is very massive looking. Have no idea what the market is like for used stuff in Greece but that seems like a great deal.

John TenEyck
10-26-2019, 10:33 PM
Welcome to the forum Mike. I'm sure you know this, but make sure the motor is compatible with the power in your shop. Machines that large in the US usually have three phase motors. Make sure all the parts to the machine are accounted for or, if you find some missing, that you think you can either fabricate or find what's needed to bring it into workable condition. Check all the wiring to see if it's in good shape. There likely is quite a bit behind the front panel and it wouldn't be good if it's all cracked and needs to be replaced. And clearly you want to check the tables to make sure they are flat and in the same plane. Pretty critical to good function. If it all checks out you have found yourself an absolute gloat worthy bargain.

That thing is likely to weigh at least 800 Kg. I hope you have access to some heavy duty moving equipment - or plan to pay someone who does. Good luck.

John

Michail Kyriazanos
10-26-2019, 11:51 PM
Thanks everyone on welcoming and your replies.

This is indeed a 550kg machine and of course runs in 3phase. I upgraded the power line a year ago to make sure that I m able to have these machines.

Market in Greece is in huge favor of buyers right now. Most old woodworking shops are closed so deals for real professional Italian machinery from Paoloni, Casadei and older SCM for 500-1500 euros, and a bit more for Felder and newer SCM. A guy offers me a 3.2m panel saw for 800euros but it's too big to fit in the new shop and I'm not going to work on panels anyways.

John you are right, I need to contact Casadei to see if there are available parts if anything is missing or break in the future.

Also is there any way to check for wrapped/broken feed rollers or problematic cutterhead?

Brian Holcombe
10-27-2019, 12:05 AM
I would give a close look then rotate over the assembly by hand and listen for odd noises.

Sitting can be hard on a machine, so expect to replace all the bearings and rubber. Oil what needs oiling, etc.

Bill Dufour
10-27-2019, 7:36 PM
I would like to ask is there much lumber being harvested in Greece today? I would think it is coming from the Serbian countries.
Bill D.

Jeff Duncan
10-29-2019, 7:50 PM
One thing to consider is how you want to grow your shop. If your going to stay part time and just doing the occasional piece of furniture, a combination machine may be just the ticket. If however your thinking of growing a bit and like moving work along, or worse, have to get work out the door to pay the bills..... I think a combination machine could be really frustrating.

As far as what to look for..... just obvious signs of abuse. Run stock through, if everything feeds well and comes out looking good then your feedworks and head should be fine. You can always check the tables for flat, certainly wouldn't hurt.

Personally, if it were me in your neighborhood I'd be looking for used Martin and Bauerle to outfit my shop. With the used market the way it sounds, you could outfit a shop with some of the best equipment available for reasonable money;)

good luck,
JeffD

Edward Dyas
10-29-2019, 10:08 PM
Hello everyone,

My name is Mike and I live in Greece. I’ve been reading the forums the past years. I learned most of stuff through forums and videos although I had a woodworker uncle but used to do mostly kitchens out of melamine. I’m into part-time woodworking from 2010 constantly building my workshop.

I’ve been mostly building small furniture and collections stands with mostly hand tools and when a machinery was required I visited shops around me to work on them.

Now days I m moving into a much bigger shop and I’m looking to buy machinery to fill it.
I found an offer for a industrial grade Casadei FS50 combination planer/thicknesser from late 80’s. This is a real deal if the condition is right since is a 5.5kw 50cm wide machine and mortising unit offered at 1000euros(around 1100$). Im ready anyway to replace bearings and drivebelts, but I would like to know what to look for when I go see it in person.
Iron cracks are the obvious but what’s the procedure to check rollers and maybe cutterhead? Tables maybe?with a straight edge?

I’m adding some photos of the seller. It was his fathers machine, now locked away in a storage room418338418338.Iron cracks? Generally the rule in looking to buy used machinery is to buy machinery that has been reasonably taken care of. To me iron cracks is a major red flag.

Mike Kees
10-29-2019, 11:38 PM
Edward,I think that is what he will be looking for . I understand it that the O.P. will be examining the machine to be sure there are no cracks.

Michail Kyriazanos
10-30-2019, 7:38 AM
Yes most lumber comes from upper Balkans and of course Africa.

Yeap I'm not looking to get full time furniture making. Refitting the workshop in a bigger space (from 16sq.m. to 55sq.m.) mostly mean that I will have the space to add the machinery I need and have also a good assembly space.

Martin machinery is way out of my budget even on used ones unfortunately. But for sure they have amazing quality.

Greece still harvest Cypress, Eucalyptus, Ash and a bit of Elm and white skin Pine for boatbuilding.

Bill Dufour
10-30-2019, 7:39 PM
I never thought of Africa supplying wood to Europe. I bet you see some interesting wood species.
Bill D.

Michail Kyriazanos
10-31-2019, 10:41 AM
Niagon, Sapeli and Iroko as mass production of windows and doors is now a big industry and prefer those ones. But in smaller batches Palisander,Ebony and other "luxury" timber can be found.

Bill Dufour
10-31-2019, 9:30 PM
I never heard of white skin pine before. I see it is in China and here is a picture of the highest tree in Greece. Looks like I would expect a tree in Greece to look like with very twisted grain from a hard life. I was expecting Monterey pine from California maybe. I understand it is one of the most planted timber trees worldwide even if it's native habitat is less then 100 miles long. 200 Km for other people.
Bil lD

https://www.flickr.com/photos/12012224@N08/1215668998

https://www.amazon.com/Photography-Monterey-Dreamy-Pacific-Northwest/dp/B072NS93H8 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/12012224@N08/1215668998)

Michail Kyriazanos
04-22-2020, 6:53 AM
And after some time I got to buy the machine and moved it to my new workshop a few days ago.

It was used well in the past. Only downside was that previous owner never bothered to make a dust collection port and dust was everywhere.
Minor rust was removed with wd40 and steel wool.
Changed drive belts and chain also.

Buying, shipping and servicing cost me around 1200$.

Phillip Mitchell
04-22-2020, 7:03 AM
Awesome! Thanks for the update. It looks like a solid machine.

I’ve been looking for a used, Italian industrial grade 18-20” planer with a Tersa head for about a year, but haven’t found the right deal in the right location yet. That machine sounds like a solid deal for you.

William Hodge
04-22-2020, 7:25 AM
[QUOTE=Michail Kyriazanos;2961601]Thanks everyone on welcoming and your replies.

Market in Greece is in huge favor of buyers right now. Most old woodworking shops are closed so deals for real professional Italian machinery from Paoloni, Casadei and older SCM for 500-1500 euros, and a bit more for Felder and newer SCM. A guy offers me a 3.2m panel saw for 800euros but it's too big to fit in the new shop and I'm not going to work on panels anyways.
__________________________________________________ ______________
Put the Paoloni stuff in a container, and send it west over the ocean.

The parts inside a Paoloni planer are all beautifully machined. I would get stuff and run it a whiel before changing out bearings. Bearings in good stuff will run for decades. Getting the correct bearings, mounted correctly, can be left until they really need to be changed. I have bought 1960's industrial machines that run fine as is. Hobbyist grade American machines have parts with shorter life spans. Cracked castings and evidence of serious fire would be my concerns. Replacing magnetic starters runs up a bill, especially if there are a few.

Michail Kyriazanos
04-22-2020, 8:22 AM
Awesome! Thanks for the update. It looks like a solid machine.

I’ve been looking for a used, Italian industrial grade 18-20” planer with a Tersa head for about a year, but haven’t found the right deal in the right location yet. That machine sounds like a solid deal for you.

Thank you it turned out to be a good deal. Only downside on the wide cutterhead (51cm) is that the custom dust shrouds that I'm trying to make is difficult to catch the chips created at far sides.
Trying to think a better design again, haha.

I was looking for a Italian 40cm wide with Tersa myself but I couldn't find anything in a good price to justify not buying a new one. Although it's not even close to Tersa fast change the magnetic jig for knives is not that bad.

Hope you find something to suit your needs.

Erik Loza
04-22-2020, 12:04 PM
And after some time I got to buy the machine and moved it to my new workshop a few days ago.

It was used well in the past. Only downside was that previous owner never bothered to make a dust collection port and dust was everywhere.
Minor rust was removed with wd40 and steel wool.
Changed drive belts and chain also.

Buying, shipping and servicing cost me around 1200$.

Awesome find. Pretty much everyone I know who purchased a used jointer/planer has ended up having to fabricate a new dust snorkel.

Erik

Michail Kyriazanos
04-23-2020, 8:46 AM
Awesome find. Pretty much everyone I know who purchased a used jointer/planer has ended up having to fabricate a new dust snorkel.

Erik

Thank you Erik

I'm trying to find online any popular or "rule of thumb" designs for a dust hood but it seems that not much are uploaded. Again back on drawing board.

Erik Loza
04-23-2020, 10:43 AM
Thank you Erik

I'm trying to find online any popular or "rule of thumb" designs for a dust hood but it seems that not much are uploaded. Again back on drawing board.

5"/120mm is the industry standard diameter for dust outlets on that class of machine, by the way.

Erik