PDA

View Full Version : Northfied 12" jointer

Steve Mathews
10-25-2019, 5:04 PM
I've been looking for a 12" jointer, particularly one made by Northfield. They apparently have a belt drive version and one direct drive. Is one preferred over the other. I would think the belt drive advantageous since it might be easier to change the motor. Any thoughts on this?

Darcy Warner
10-25-2019, 5:12 PM
Direct drive fans will tell you its because they are so smooth, yes they are. A motor rewind will cost more than a used motor for belt drive machine, but not much more than new motor.

I like belt drive because you can speed them up a bit compared to 3600 DD machines.

I would take either one though.

Casey Carr
10-25-2019, 6:39 PM
So how do you speed a belt drive jointer up? And what is the benefit? I have one of these, but I've never used it.

Zachary Hoyt
10-25-2019, 7:00 PM
You change the speed on a belt drive by changing pulley size on the motor or the driven shaft.
Zach

Andrew Hughes
10-25-2019, 7:24 PM
Steve I reckon it’s worth the drive to Prescott to see first hand. And that’s a very decent price

Good Luck

Casey Carr
10-25-2019, 8:39 PM
Okay, I guess I should have figured that one out, was thinking electrically, not mechanically speeding it up. What is the benefit?

Darcy Warner
10-25-2019, 8:57 PM
More knife Mark's per inch.
You can feed faster and still get excellent finish.

Steve Mathews
10-25-2019, 9:44 PM
Steve I reckon it’s worth the drive to Prescott to see first hand. And that’s a very decent price

Good Luck

Seems I've made this mistake b4.

Matt Day
10-25-2019, 10:48 PM
I’ve got an NF12 with a DD motor and it’s been great. It’s 3 phase and I use it with a VFD. In fact it was Miss August this year on the OWWM calendar.

John Sincerbeaux
10-25-2019, 10:52 PM
I've been looking for a 12" jointer, particularly one made by Northfield. They apparently have a belt drive version and one direct drive. Is one preferred over the other. I would think the belt drive advantageous since it might be easier to change the motor. Any thoughts on this?

A stock Northfield 12” 3HP belt drive gives a cutterhead rpm of 4500 opposed to 3600 rpm on the stock 3HP DD.

Curious what price are they asking? What condition?

I searched pretty hard and long for my 16HD. I am still amazed at how much certain dealers are asking for Northfield jointers that look to be pretty trashed.

John Sincerbeaux
10-25-2019, 10:55 PM
I’ve got an NF12 with a DD motor and it’s been great. It’s 3 phase and I use it with a VFD. In fact it was Miss August this year on the OWWM calendar.

Matt, can you post a pic of your Miss August? Jointer that is.

Andrew Hughes
10-26-2019, 12:46 AM
I was referring Steve to a Northfield on Cl in Prescott. Listed at 1500.00
When was on the scout for a quest jointer.
I spend more then a year looking and checking out different leads. I finally found a what I was looking for I’m glad I didn’t settle.
Condition of the tables were the most important part for me.
They need to be inspected in person with a machinist straight edge.
I already did my time paid my tuition using jointers with worn warped tables.

Good Luck

David Kumm
10-26-2019, 10:11 AM
Condition and how flat the table are are more important than belt vs direct drive. A jointer is not a finish machine so cuts per inch is less important than long flat tables. Northfield originally spec'd their tables at .002-.004 across the entire 8' of length. Martin might do that but few others and no jointer under 10K new will be that tight in tolerance. Dave

Steve Mathews
10-26-2019, 10:20 AM
So how do you go about checking the jointer table for flatness? I would like to include this in my inspection on one in a few days.

John Sincerbeaux
10-26-2019, 10:57 AM
I bought my NF 16HD over the phone in less than an hour after it was posted for sale on another website. My inspection was a “walk-around” via FaceTime. To this day, I have never checked the tables for flatness.

Steve Mathews
10-26-2019, 11:06 AM
I bought my NF 16HD over the phone in less than an hour after it was posted for sale on another website. My inspection was a “walk-around” via FaceTime. To this day, I have never checked the tables for flatness.

Nice looking jointer John. I can readily see that it was a "slam dunk" decision. The question on checking flatness was really directed to Andrew since he apparently made it an important factor in his purchase inspection.

Andrew Hughes
10-26-2019, 11:27 AM
So how do you go about checking the jointer table for flatness? I would like to include this in my inspection on one in a few days.

I use a 24 inch Groz straight edge. I know it’s very straight and tru. The areas that are important to me are just before the head and after. Look for a hollow across the width.
It will be obvious when your straight edge meets a flat table. It also handy to have a small flash lite and 3 thou feeler.
It your choice how picky you want to be. 3 thou is a good number.
Good Luck

Darcy Warner
10-26-2019, 11:31 AM
NF jointer tables are heavy cored things. I have yet to see anything other then a minor rut from 60 years of wood over it. Having tables ground isn't very expensive.

jerry cousins
10-26-2019, 11:38 AM
i have a northfield 12" dd motor - 3 phase running on a rotary converter. i bought it just via pictures and had it shipped up - has been a great machine. have never check the tables - but as someone mentioned the tables can be ground if they are really tweaked - there is plenty of metal. if you get the serial number you can call the northfield company and find out it's history - northfieldwoodworking.com - and get any pieces yo might need.
jerry

Steve Mathews
10-26-2019, 12:34 PM
In my travel to look at a Northfield 12 jointer there is also a Northfield 16" jointer enroute. My eyes were focused on a 12" jointer, moving up from an 8" but would the 16" serve me better in the future? The 16" in not that much more money. See photos of John's Northfield 16" has distracted me somewhat.

Phillip Mitchell
10-26-2019, 12:56 PM
Bigger is always better with jointers if you have the space and budget. That is all.

Patrick Kane
10-26-2019, 1:31 PM
I have had a 6,8,12, and now 20. 12 is a good machine, but Phillip is right, bigger is always better. I’d imagine 16” to be a fantastic size. I don’t have too many boards greater than 16”. I have many boards greater than 12”. I routinely seek out the widest lumber possible.

Jim Becker
10-26-2019, 8:38 PM
Wider brings some advantages when doing "non typical" things, like cleaning the edges of odd shaped and curved workpieces, skewing the cut while flattening to help compensate for difficult grain, getting more life out of the knives by varying where material travels, etc. It's not just about really wide boards.

Darcy Warner
10-26-2019, 8:48 PM
I believe that a 16" jointer is a great comprise on size, if you only have room for one machine. A 12" machine can be the workhorse in a shop as long you have something bigger just in case. I like to keep a 12" around with having my 30" as well.