PDA

View Full Version : Blum Minipress

Steve Rozmiarek
10-23-2019, 9:10 AM
I was at the right place at the right time and got this on an auction where I was apparently the only one who knew what it is. Question, has anyone used a Mini press with the line boring attachment? I scored a Ritter line boring machine too, but its three phase, so vfd for the Ritter or blum attachment is the question?

Dan Coker
10-23-2019, 9:25 AM
I have not used mine for line boring. The line boring head is very expensive. $1,500+. It would save you a lot of cash to buy a cheap VFD for $150 or a static phase converter for probably $100 instead of buying the $1,500+ line boring head.

I don’t have the MiniPress but rather the Blum MiniDrill which is very similar. Got mine for $250 from a local competitor who thought that it was ruined because an employee broke off all of the set screws that hold the bits in the collets by torquing them down with a cheater bar. They are idiots because all I did was purchase 3 new chucks which were $28 + $28 + $31 and a new set of boring bits which were $70. Now I have a like new MiniDrill that works great. There is a guy in Great Britain that makes dust extraction hoods for the MiniPress and MiniDrill. They work great too. $93 for the hood and $30 for shipping. Highly recommended!

Jared Sankovich
10-23-2019, 9:36 AM
I have a 7 spindle head on my gannomat. It works well, but change over takes longer than id like. If it wasn't the only 45/9.5 borer (my other is a hettich pattern) id leave it set up for line boring.

Mike Kees
10-23-2019, 9:40 AM
Dan can you post more info on where to get the dust extraction hoods. Thanks ,Mike.

Jared Sankovich
10-23-2019, 9:42 AM
Also my 7 spindle head was included in the $100 purchase price of my machine. I wouldn't buy a full price attachment, when a stand alone 13 spindle unit is less expensive

Jeff Duncan
10-23-2019, 6:41 PM
I had one but sold mine so I can't help. Was just not worth switching back and forth from hinges to line boring. I guess if you don't do a lot of either it may be worthwhile?

good luck,
JeffD

peter gagliardi
10-23-2019, 10:48 PM
The line boring attachment will work... mostly, but at the end of the day, it is just that, an attachment.
If you have volume, a true line bore is easier, way,way quicker, and way more accurate.
The Blum references at least 2 corners/edges on each piece, whereas the line bore only 1.
I used the Grass version for 20 years, it was faster than laying out and drilling each by hand but didn't seem by much.
Line bore was a lightyear leap forward!!

Dan Coker
10-24-2019, 8:32 AM
I picked up a used Delta 13 spindle manual line boring machine for $250 (new they go for around $1,300) and got rid of the stock Delta fence and replaced the fence with an 80/20 aluminum extrusion fence that is 96” long with a stick on measuring tape on top and multiple flip stops. Then I built a cabinet for it that goes out 6ft on each side of the machine. Made it a much more capable machine and still came in at under $600 even with the upgrades which is less that half the cost of the Blum line boring head. Having a dedicated line borer and a dedicated hinge borer is much better than having to constantly swap between the Blum attachments and in my case was significantly cheaper.,

Steve Rozmiarek
10-24-2019, 8:34 AM
Thanks for the insight all. I think I'll get the Ritter going, and if I cross paths with a reasonably priced line bore attachment for the Blum I might try it.