PDA

View Full Version : Scroll saw Dragon

Terry Quiram
07-07-2003, 8:16 PM
Here is a little piece of Big Leaf Maple burl with Curly Maple base. This pattern should hold a clock, but I changed it to hold a "crystal ball". Finish is Deft Satin.

Terry

Bobby Hatfield
07-07-2003, 8:38 PM
Here is a little piece of Big Leaf Maple burl with Curly Maple base. This pattern should hold a clock, but I changed it to hold a "crystal ball". Finish is Deft Satin.

Terry

You guys and your great projects, I have been just hacking out jobs one after the other and none of them compares to a beautiful bowl or dragon like this, all I can do is look and admire your skill and patience.

Tom Sweeney
07-07-2003, 9:49 PM
Terry - that is just amazing - I would go clinically insane before I got halfway through something like that (no comments from the peanut gallery :D )

That has to take an amazing amount of skill and patience. The workmanship astounds me.

I love the wood you used also - is the deft spray on? Is it easy to use?

Jason Roehl
07-07-2003, 9:54 PM
The peanut gallery has been told it has no comments at this time. But it would like to say that that is an excellent piece of work, Terry. :D

Jim Becker
07-07-2003, 10:06 PM
That is totally awesome and a prime example of something "I" would never have the patience to accomplish!!! Great job!!

Jim Baker
07-07-2003, 10:18 PM
Incredible, Terry. I showed the picture to my son Michael. He couldn't hardly believe that someone could make something so intricate. It sure is a gian step from the cute tiny animals you cut for him in Indiana this spring.

Very nice work

Keith Outten
07-07-2003, 10:35 PM
Terry,

Very Nice! Love your choice of woods...and you did it with a saw blade :)

Keep Em Coming,

Bob Lasley
07-07-2003, 10:56 PM
Terry, you are the master of the scroll saw! That is absolutely gorgeous. You certainly did justice to some beautiful wood.

Bob

Terry Quiram
07-08-2003, 6:58 AM
Thanks for the complements.

Jim, Is Michael doing any scrolling? He can do this with practice. Don't forget I probably have at least 10,000 hours on a scroll saw.

Tom, this is theropy from my job. Deft is sprayed from a can I bought at Lowes and it goes on great. I love this stuff.

Keith, MANY saw blades! :D

Jim Baker
07-08-2003, 7:31 AM
Thanks for the complements.

Jim, Is Michael doing any scrolling? He can do this with practice. Don't forget I probably have at least 10,000 hours on a scroll saw.

Tom, this is theropy from my job. Deft is sprayed from a can I bought at Lowes and it goes on great. I love this stuff.

Keith, MANY saw blades! :D

No scroll sawing yet, but It's on the list, along with many other things. Thanks again for showing him in Indiana.

Rob Overton
07-08-2003, 1:49 PM

Terry\
Terry, The work is beautiful. How thick is the wood? Where did you get
the pattern? We have always used an oil finish. Never tried a spray on fret work.... Rob

Doug Littlejohn
07-08-2003, 4:34 PM
Looks GREAT terry !!! I love scroll sawing, but it does do a number on the upper back. Really, really nice job and what gorgeous wood.

Thanks for sharing.

Rusty Hughes, Indy
07-08-2003, 4:41 PM
Very Well Done, Terry!

By the way, I like the "crystal ball" better than the clock. It looks like an onyx stone that a dragon would hoard in his lair. I just can't see a dragon holding a clock ;) .

Thanks for posting the pic.

Terry Quiram
07-08-2003, 8:54 PM
Rob

The burl is a strong 1/4'. I sawed 2 at a time. Its mate has a curly Walnut base and is in my shop office. I don't recall where I got the pattern, but I think Wildwood Design sells it. I bought the burl on e-bay last year. It was sold as a 3 legged stool. I had to work around the screw holes.

Rusty

The "crystal ball" is a marble I picked up in the Amana colonies last year. It has a neat gun metal gray and blue pattern.

Danny Bingham
07-08-2003, 9:51 PM
Great work, as usual Terry. I am going to learn to scroll as soon as I get my shop together.

Danny

Bruce Page
07-09-2003, 9:35 PM
Terry, that is beautiful. I love your scrollwork and scrollwork in general, but there’s no way I would have the patience to be any good at it!

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur. -- Doug Larson

Lloyd Robins
08-07-2003, 6:58 PM
Wow! There truly still are artists in the world.