PDA

View Full Version : Variable-pitch bench plane

Brad Schmid
12-17-2005, 12:11 AM
I just received my Jan 06 issue of Woodshop News. On page 29 there's an article about a new variable pitch bench plane (VP-60) from Bridge City Tool Works. This is the first I have heard of it. Looks to be an interesting concept, and a well made plane by John Economaki. Adjusts from 30 deg low angle to 90 deg scraper. First run is 400 planes. Priced at $1500, it's outa my league, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone here on SMC has seen, or been lucky enough to have tested it and what their opinion is.

Brad

Mike Wenzloff
12-17-2005, 1:28 AM
It's been a subject of discussion on other forums.

Simple truth is that another maker--forget who now--did a similar thing long ago. It also died a certain death. Though I would imagine collectors would like to find one.

Another simple truth--any low angle plane from another maker has the same ability, though perhaps not as easily adjusted. Any low angle, bevel up plane can via a blade swap have a variable pitch cutting angle. The difference is that a LV or LN version will have an absolute and firmly bedded blade.

Their claims of a 30 degree cutting angle? 1 degree of clearance? Super sharp blade? Advance user? Hogwash. It'll make maybe a cut or two until the wear bevel prevents effectual cutting. It has nothing to do with being an advanced user--it's physics.

Sorry. Snake oil just tastes bad.

Mike