PDA

View Full Version : What is it? and What to do with it!

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-16-2005, 11:40 PM
I was in an "Antique shop/flea market" a month ago ans saw this! It had three brass candle holders screwed into it, some other holes drilled into it, and three candles in the holders. It had a price tag of $7.50 It's about 15" long, 8" high, and 9" wide, at the largest part. I didn't take it then, but looked at something like it at Woodcraft that was quite a bit smaller and lighter in weight. The smaller piece was a lot more money, so today, I went back and picked it up. Now I have to figure out how best to cut it up into usable pieces. Still don't know what it is, either. I do know that it was burned a little and was partially buried in sand at one time.

Thatcha think? Help appreciated!.....................................b ut I AIN"T SENDIN" IT AWAY! NO WAY!

Bruce

Added the pix this time....................The FIRST TIME!

Loy Hawes
12-16-2005, 11:44 PM
Are you ready for this Bruce?

That there thing is.........................Wood!

Seriously though. It might make an interesting natural edge winged bowl.

John Hart
12-16-2005, 11:46 PM
Oh you crack me up Loy!!!

Bill Stevener
12-16-2005, 11:53 PM
Whew, that looks like an extracted, very badly decayed, impacted wisdom tooth. :eek:

Andy Hoyt
12-16-2005, 11:55 PM
Sorry to disappoint you guys. But that's the fossilized remains of a brain stem and vocal chord from a dynosornenorminus from the late Cretacious Period.

Carole Valentine
12-17-2005, 1:15 AM
Looks like part of a cyprus knee to me. Almost looks like it is petrified!

RL Johnson
12-17-2005, 2:05 AM
Rockler had some pieces that looked like your piece. They called it Manzanita Root. Be careful when you turn as you will often find rocks and dirt trapped inside the root.

Chris Barton
12-17-2005, 4:09 AM
While I think Andy is headed in the right direction, I think it is the ossified remains of a section of spinal cord along with the pons and medulla of a horse and, I think the horse had a neoplasm of some sort working it way through this section. I saw some specimens like this back in neuroanatomy. This kind of thing usually comes out best if slow cooked in a crock pot to tender it up a bit, and then served with a nice brown gravy.

Rich Stewart
12-17-2005, 4:43 AM
Looks like it came off a wart hog.

Bob Noles
12-17-2005, 6:35 AM
Bruce,

Don't know what the heck it is, but it sure is not appetizing this early in the morning with my first cup of coffee.

Man.... post a warning in your title when you share something like that :eek:

Jim Becker
12-17-2005, 2:49 PM
Root burl from some shrub would be my guess...looks very similar to the mountain laural root burl I have on the shelve...and on the hoof...

Michael Stafford
12-17-2005, 3:05 PM
Pretty sure that is the kidney stone I passed in 1987. We always wondered what happpened to that thing. They said they were gonna shine some light on it and determine what it was made of.....:p

Dennis Peacock
12-17-2005, 3:25 PM
Pretty sure that is the kidney stone I passed in 1987. We always wondered what happpened to that thing. They said they were gonna shine some light on it and determine what it was made of.....:p

LOL!!!!! Good one Big Mike..!!!!!!:D

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-17-2005, 3:50 PM
You folks are A LOT OF HELP!???:rolleyes: :p :rolleyes: :confused:

I agree with the caution. I have already taken a cup and a half of sand out of the crevases. I'm going to wash it down VERY WELL before cutting into it.

I'll keep you informed. BTW.......... this is the BeFORE picture!

Bruce;)

Carole Valentine
12-17-2005, 5:25 PM
You folks are A LOT OF HELP!???:rolleyes: :p :rolleyes: :confused:

I agree with the caution. I have already taken a cup and a half of sand out of the crevases. I'm going to wash it down VERY WELL before cutting into it.

I'll keep you informed. BTW.......... this is the BeFORE picture!

Bruce;)
The sand makes me think even more that it is a cyprus root (knee.) Of course it looks like some of the driftwood we have wash up from the ocean too. Can't wait to see what the inside looks like.

Ernie Nyvall
12-17-2005, 6:04 PM
Mummified goat head. Count on it. I know my goats and mummies.

Ernie

Michael Stafford
12-17-2005, 6:32 PM
Mummified goat head. Count on it. I know my goats and mummies.

Ernie

Looks like what Ernie said.....LOL:p :D

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-19-2005, 7:07 PM
Randy Johnson wins the "What is it" question. It is Manzanita Root! A "Large" one sells for about $25.00 at Woodcraft, so I guess I did ok. Now to figure out what to make of it!

Bruce

Ron Ainge
12-20-2005, 1:36 PM
Bruce, R L is right it is Manzanita Root. They sell it at Woodcraft and Rockers stores in this area. As mentioned before be very careful if you turn it becasue I will almost guarantee that there will be rocks in it.