PDA

View Full Version : HD - DC pieces and parts

Kris Cook
10-20-2019, 7:40 PM
Was at the HD today getting some stuff for the shop build. I came across a couple of items I had not seen before that may be beneficial to others.

There was a recent post re: what to use for hanging duct work. This "hanger strap" is 1.75" wide, and made for that purpose.

This semi-rigid duct is 7" X 8'. I had not seen this oddball size before, and it may be the ticket for transitioning my DC piping up to the ceiling. Ribs are less obtrusive than plastic flex hose. Seems plenty stout to resist suction pressure.

Jim Becker
10-20-2019, 7:55 PM
I doubt that semi-rigid material is going to handle the negative pressure that a dust collection system creates, honestly. It's not made with that in mind.

Matt Day
10-20-2019, 8:15 PM
I agree with Jim on the duct.

What is that “hanger strap” made of? How would you attach it and anchor it?

Paul F Franklin
10-20-2019, 8:23 PM
Not the OP, but I've used a lot of that strapping to support vent ducts in attics (like bath fan ducts). It's plastic webbing, similar to what you used to see in lawn chairs. When I use it I just fold it double and staple through it to roof rafters. To support something heavier, I'd be inclined to wrap it around a small block of wood and then screw the block to the framing.

Matt Day
10-21-2019, 10:24 AM
Gotcha Paul, thanks. Sounds useful for lightweight fart fan hoses, but I’ll stick with my role of holes metal strapping for woodworking ductwork. I like the adjustability of the holes too, easy to move a hole or two to dial in the height of the duct.

Bill Dufour
10-21-2019, 10:42 PM
Gotcha Paul, thanks. Sounds useful for lightweight fart fan hoses, but I’ll stick with my role of holes metal strapping for woodworking ductwork. I like the adjustability of the holes too, easy to move a hole or two to dial in the height of the duct.

My father always called that metal strapping "plumbers tape"

Kris Cook
10-25-2019, 11:36 PM
My father always called that metal strapping "plumbers tape"

Pretty sure your Dad was right but a lot of people think you are talking about teflon tape if you mention it.

I looked at the ducting again yesterday when I was in town. In the collapsed condition (not extended) it appears fairly stout. I extended a section, and gave it a squeeze. I think Jim and Matt are correct. The ducting is not strong enough to use for a DC system.

The webbing however I think is stout enough to hang DC duct work. I am a ways out on that part of the shop build unfortunately but will likely give it a shot when the time comes.