PDA

View Full Version : Dyed Buckeye Burl Pen

John Hart
12-16-2005, 11:08 PM
This is an experimental pen to test out my new finish and to test out the Fingernail files and buffers. I gotta tell ya, those fingernail files worked extremely well! What was really nice was, because of the stiffness, you can get right up to the bushing without actually hitting it. I also experienced a great deal more control. Started out at 150 then went up through the grits to the polishing buffer thinger. The pen was glossy before any finish was applied. You really gotta watch your speed though. Too fast and theres too much heat.

My new finish concoction also worked very well. I applied it non-spinning and got a nice even deep finish without trying very hard. I like how it behaves.

Keith Burns
12-16-2005, 11:16 PM
Nice pen, nice finish.:) :) How long before you revele the formula?:D

John Hart
12-16-2005, 11:29 PM
Nice pen, nice finish.:) :) How long before you revele the formula?:D

Thanks Keith...The formula is posted for your enjoyment:)

Keith Christopher
12-16-2005, 11:31 PM
John,

Love the pen, well and the stand ! :) awesome job. I need some new style pen kits.

Andy Hoyt
12-16-2005, 11:33 PM
The heck with the pen (it's a beaut); but what's with that other success story that it's sitting on?

John Hart
12-16-2005, 11:52 PM
The heck with the pen (it's a beaut); but what's with that other success story that it's sitting on?

That's an explosion in slow motion! A beautiful piece of OAK burl. I was making a candle holder and it just flat out exploded. I was quite angry. I'm better now.

Andy Hoyt
12-16-2005, 11:58 PM
Sorry to hear that John. But....

Oak and beautiful do not go hand in hand.

Kinda like Military Intelligence.

Or Free Upgrade.

Earl Eyre
12-17-2005, 12:35 AM
That's a great looking pen, John. And the finish certainly shines.

What do you think of Buckeye? I'm working on an 8" hollow form right now. It's not burl but straight grain. I had a horrible time with tear out. Especially on the inside, it would come off in long pieces, almost like shredded beef. The wood was still fairly green. I can usually keep my tools sharp enough to avoid that kind of tear out but it sure didn't work this time.

Earl

Dick Parr
12-17-2005, 1:20 AM
Very nice John, love the rich color of the wood.

Chris Barton
12-17-2005, 4:13 AM
Nice pen John! Let me know when you glue your fingers together with that toxic soup you use to finish your pieces ;)

John Hart
12-17-2005, 7:44 AM
Thanks Everyone! This pen was done somewhat in a hurry so it has some shape flaws that I'm not too happy with. But then, I had these blanks drilled and tubed for over a month and I really just wanted to try the new fingernail file approach that Bernie discovered. It worked really well.

Earl - This burl, being impregnated and dyed, would really behave starkly different than a green piece of straight grained buckeye. I'm not too sure whether I can compare them. But I do have a Buckeye tree that has to come down this winter. I'll give a try to a hollow form then and we'll see. It can't be worse than poplar!!! yeeeeuuk!

Chris....The webbing between my fingers keeps that from happening! ;) :D

Chris Barton
12-17-2005, 8:12 AM
Webbed paws er, fingers eh? I had noticed that you had started to look a little "ratty" of late

John Hart
12-17-2005, 8:22 AM
Yeah...I'm feeling a bit fuzzy..:o If you'll excuse me...I have an urge to go dig holes in a golf course right now.

Ernie Nyvall
12-17-2005, 5:43 PM
That finish is really something John. Great looking pen.

Ernie