PDA

View Full Version : Choosing Aftermarket Fence for Bandsaw

Gary Curtis
12-16-2005, 10:08 PM
I bought a 20-year old 18" Grizzly bandsaw. The fence and rails are pure Tragikastan. Grizzly customer service didn't even recognize the saw model number. So there's no getting parts. That didn't inspire too much confidence.

Kreg and Woodhaven both make aftermarket fences. The specs say they are for 14" Taiwanese bandsaws. Both are priced at about $130. They seem rigid enough, with Woodhaven being the stronger. Or should I go for something with more beef? Like a tablesaw rip fence. I can pick up a used one.

Gary Curtis

Scott Loven
12-16-2005, 11:40 PM
Gary, Kreg has told me that their fence should work for most 18 inch bandsaws also. I have one, I will install it as soon as I get my bandsaw put together.
Scott

Doug Shepard
12-17-2005, 7:44 AM
On the 14" Jet that I just sold when I got my MM16 I had a Mark Duginske fence and was pretty happy with it. I think I've read that the Kreg was a buyoff of the Duginske fence with some improvements made. It looks pretty similar to the Duginske. You might also want to consider making a fence. I've seen no shortage of very nice looking shop made fences - some probably here on SMC.

tod evans
12-17-2005, 7:59 AM
i second dougs opinion, build your own. .02 tod

Dick Parr
12-17-2005, 8:54 AM
Thanks for bringing this subject up Gary. :) I have meant to ever since I got my used 18" Grizzly. You are right, No One advertises a fence to fit anything bigger then a 14".

But now I know to call Kreg and at least ask. Some say their fence's are 24" long and I would think that would fit an 18" saw, but they don't say it.

Thanks again

Curt Harms
12-17-2005, 6:52 PM
Hi Gary

Do You know about this one?http://www.mulecab.com/BandSaw/