PDA

View Full Version : LV Forstner Bits - Is this an issue?

Lisa Starr
10-17-2019, 12:45 PM
After my earlier post concerning a set of Forstner Bits, I went ahead and order a smallish set of HSS from Lee Valley. They arrived today, but a couple of the bits seem damaged to me. Please see the pics below.

If you can see them in the pictures, there a small nicks along the cutting rim on the 2 bits. Should I be concerned about this? My machine shop experience says "send the junk back", but maybe I'm being too picky. Please share your thoughts.

lowell holmes
10-17-2019, 12:54 PM
Rob Lee reads this forum. Why don't you contact the web site.

Lee Valley Tools: Home
https://www.leevalley.com

glenn bradley
10-17-2019, 1:43 PM
Definitely damaged, they are excellent about Customer Service and replacements.

Frederick Skelly
10-17-2019, 1:59 PM
Lisa,
Send them back if they dont cut right. Or if you just decide it aint ok to have nicks. LV knows that we buy from them with confidence because they will "make things right". Call them.
Fred

michael langman
10-17-2019, 2:35 PM
If I am seeing the second picture right then I would sen them back, Nicks are not suppose to be on the ground cutting edge.

Lisa Starr
10-17-2019, 3:41 PM
Thank you. Since the nicks are on the cutting edge of the rim, I'm returning them for an exchange. I've never had a problem with LV, so I imagine this will go smoothly.

Stephen Rosenthal
10-17-2019, 4:39 PM
In my experience there are three companies that stand behind what they sell with absolute 100% certainty of a hassle-free interaction should something be amiss: Lee Valley, Tools for Working Wood, and Lie Nielsen. I'm sure there are others, but they're few and far between.

Rob Luter
10-17-2019, 5:07 PM
LV is a good bunch and will make it right. That said, consider some Freud bits. They’re the schnizzle.

Jim Morgan
10-17-2019, 6:25 PM
The bit on the right in particular really looks beat up. How were these packaged?

Lisa Starr
10-17-2019, 6:41 PM
James, They actually were packaged quite well. I purchased a set which came in a wooden box and each bit had a plastic protective cover over the cutting end. That is part of the reason I queried others prior to returning them, as they were obviously in that condition when packaged.

Stephen Rosenthal
10-17-2019, 6:54 PM
Never mind the cutting edge; if I'm seeing it correctly in the photo on the right the entire shaft looks beat up. Could be the way you photographed it though, because I find it hard to believe this would have passed LV's quality control inspection.

Mike Kees
10-17-2019, 7:47 PM
I have a set of those bits that have been in use for at least 15 years. Just lately they need to get sharpened or replaced.

Warren Wilson
10-18-2019, 1:47 AM
I don’t understand why this is an issue. They are from Lee Valley. They will make it right.

Derek Cohen
10-18-2019, 9:53 AM
Just curious - are those the Maxicut forstner bits (which are made by Colt)? I have a set from Lee Valley, plus others from elsewhere. They are all the same high standard.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Lisa Starr
10-18-2019, 11:48 AM
Derek - Nope. The are the LV brand.

Lisa Starr
10-24-2019, 3:19 PM
Well, I know lots of you have had good customer service from Lee Valley, but I'm beginning to wonder if it is the right company for me to do business with. As you know, I purchased set of Forstner Bits and they arrived with nicks in the cutting edge. So far, here's the chain of events:

10/10 Placed Order

10/16 Received order with damage to edges and returned for exchange the same day.

10/24 Checked with LV and they indicated they received the return 10/22. They said they would ship in another "few" days. I indicated that this was a problem and they agreed to "expedite", but it would take extra time because they were going to check the replacements before shipping. They would e-mail or call later in the day. Heard nothing, so I just called them again. They have not shipped and probably won't get to USA until Monday/Tuesday. If the first shipment is any indication, I won't receive them until 11/4 ish.

I guess if this is "great" customer service, I will shop elsewhere. Sorry I can't be a raving fan.:(

Doug Garson
10-24-2019, 3:40 PM
If I understand your last post you checked with LV today (10/24) and they said they would get back to you later in the day. According to my calendar it's still today. I think you are being overly critical, just my opinion.

Peter Kuhlman
10-24-2019, 3:40 PM
Try using this email.
rlee@leevalley.com
Bet you get an immediate reply!

Rob works late so could be in the evening when you hear back.

David Bassett
10-24-2019, 3:43 PM
Well, I know lots of you have had good customer service from Lee Valley....

Sorry you're having trouble. You caught them at a real bad time. They just switched their website from very old (but well tuned) code to modern (but still needing work) code and that seems to have sucked up most of their energy. They told me it's just the website and their CS, warehouse, etc software is unchanged. But there are clearly interactions and those have been affected some too. So be cautious until the issues all play out, but don't give up on them forever. I'm sure they will be back to the level of service we expect before too long.

Stephen Rosenthal
10-24-2019, 11:31 PM
The roller froze on my MkII honing guide and developed a flat spot before I realized it. Totally my fault, as I hadn't oiled it for a while. I called and ordered a replacement roller, which I received in 2 business days. It came from their Sparks, NV warehouse, so that probably made it quicker. But they didn't charge me for shipping and I bought the honing guide years ago. All I will say is be patient, they're a righteous company.

Lisa Starr
11-06-2019, 3:27 PM
Just wanted to post a quick update. In the end, I received a replacement set of the Forstner Bits and they are fantastic! I'm still a bit put off by the amount of time it took LV to turn the exchange around, but considering the new website, I can "forgive them". I will order from them again, should the need arise.

Doug Garson
11-06-2019, 3:54 PM
Glad it worked out for you and thanks for the update.