PDA

View Full Version : Guided Circular Saw question?

Alan Tolchinsky
12-16-2005, 7:58 PM
Hi All, I just got Dino's EZ system and although I haven't used it yet, it is very well made IMHO. Now I was thinking of how to best get an even rip cut using this system.

With the table saw you set the rip fence and you get perfectly the same width along the whole piece. For example the cut piece is 4" wide on one end and exactly 4" wide on the other.

With the guided system, how do you best accomplish this. I thought somebody here made a jig to help with this? Was is Jay?

Jim Becker
12-16-2005, 8:32 PM
Doesn't Dino sell a gizmo that provides that functionality? Perhaps it's the new repeater attachment.

JayStPeter
12-16-2005, 9:29 PM
I did make a jig. It's essentially a sliding t-square made out of a piece of t-track. I use it to align both ends of the rail. My newer improved version has a scale and cursor.

There's a pic at the end of this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18261

Jay

Dave Falkenstein
12-16-2005, 10:11 PM
Doesn't Dino sell a gizmo that provides that functionality? Perhaps it's the new repeater attachment.

Yes, the EZ system includes a Smart Repeater for $230:

http://www.eurekazone.com/products/detail/ezr18.html

Alan Tolchinsky
12-16-2005, 10:29 PM
I did make a jig. It's essentially a sliding t-square made out of a piece of t-track. I use it to align both ends of the rail. My newer improved version has a scale and cursor.

There's a pic at the end of this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18261

Jay

Thanks Jay, Maybe I should have done a search on this first. :rolleyes: Oh well, next time I'll remember, I hope.

Alan Tolchinsky
12-16-2005, 10:37 PM
I like Jay's idea of setting up the guide without actually having to measure the distance of both ends of the guide to the edge of the board. This type set up always beats measuring to me, at least in most situations. It's kind of like a story stick for the guide. It seems this is the trickiest part of setting up the guide but one that has to be mastered to make it work well. Thanks guys for reminding me!

Paul Berendsohn
12-17-2005, 8:40 AM
Gee whiz Dev, is it an infomercial because it's about the SmartGuide? I guess it wouldn't be an infomercial if it was posted by a user of another brand...

"Hey Paul... explain to us again why you think SmartGuide doesn't get a fair shake on these forums?"

Dino Makropoulos
12-17-2005, 8:49 AM
Hi Paul.
I don't think this is a GG???
Is only Dev, trying to protect what he learn, and have something to talk.:rolleyes:
All others are just trying to find a better way.
The repeaters are available for both systems and jay's idea can be used by owners of both and even other systems.
Peace.

YCF Dino

Paul Berendsohn
12-17-2005, 9:05 AM
Because you're a nicer guy than I am ;) I edited my response Dino... I guess it's true what they say about old dogs and new tricks.

Alan Tolchinsky
12-17-2005, 10:05 AM
Well, this infomercial was entertaining....

Dev, I'm disappointed in this statement from you based on all your positive contributions to this forum. How did you arrive at this conclusion? I just don't get it.

Steve Clardy
12-17-2005, 10:15 AM

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Dave Falkenstein
12-17-2005, 10:30 AM
Hi Paul.
...The repeaters are available for both systems and jay's idea can be used by owners of both and even other systems.
Peace.

YCF Dino

Dino - From your statement I inferred the Repeater is available for Festool guide rails. Where can we find information about that option? I cannot find any mention of the Festool model of the Smart Repeater on your web site. Thanks.

Paul Berendsohn
12-17-2005, 11:47 AM
Hiya David...

I should be quiet why exactly?

(P.S... I believe you meant that Dino "implied" not "inferred". Dictionary.com has this to say:
"Usage Note: Infer is sometimes confused with imply, but the distinction is a useful one. When we say that a speaker or sentence implies something, we mean that it is conveyed or suggested without being stated outright: <CITE>When the mayor said that she would not rule out a business tax increase, she implied (not inferred) that some taxes might be raised.</CITE> Inference, on the other hand, is the activity performed by a reader or interpreter in drawing conclusions that are not explicit in what is said: <CITE>When the mayor said that she would not rule out a tax increase, we inferred that she had been consulting with some new financial advisers, since her old advisers were in favor of tax reductions."</CITE>
<CITE></CITE>
<CITE>I was sure you'd want to know...Best wishes!)</CITE>

Frank Pellow
12-17-2005, 12:17 PM
Dino - You infer the Repeater is available for Festool guide rails. Where can we find information about that option? I cannot find any mention of the Festool model of the Smart Repeater on your web site. Thanks.

I inferred the same question in another thread this week. Dino's response was:

"Hi Frank.
All the ez smart stuff can be made to work with all systems. The Universal (F-repeater),
The F-smart clamping system and the smart table top kit for the MFT are in production the same time.
Just hold on to your table saw for few more weeks.
Thanks Frank.
YFCF Dino"

My interpretation of Dino's response is that the Festool Repeater is not yet in production but that he expects it to be in a few weeks. I always doube such estimates, so my guess it that we will see it in three months.

Dino Makropoulos
12-17-2005, 12:29 PM
Dino - You infer the Repeater is available for Festool guide rails. Where can we find information about that option? I cannot find any mention of the Festool model of the Smart Repeater on your web site. Thanks.

Paul - Be quiet, please!!

Dev - Be reasonable, please!!

Everyone - no fights, please.

Hi Dave.
This is the first prototype.
http://eurekazone.com/gallery/Universal-EZ-Smart
Next two weeks we should have inventory.
I don't go to the Edison show this week
in order to get done with the final testing.
I can post some pictures later from today's tests.

YFCF Dino

Dan Forman
12-17-2005, 3:27 PM
Hiya David...

I should be quiet why exactly?

Paul---I think he meant another Paul not heard from yet, but well known for jumping into this particular fray.

Dan

Paul Berendsohn
12-17-2005, 3:56 PM
LOL... Thank you for the attempt as peacemaker Dan, but I know when Dave is referring to me. We have an understanding ;)

Dave Falkenstein
12-17-2005, 8:32 PM
Hi Dave.

YFCF Dino

Dino - have you decided what the pricing will be on the Festool version of the Repeater? Or perhaps I should just wait until the product is actually available for purchase.

Dino Makropoulos
12-17-2005, 9:23 PM
Dino - have you decided what the pricing will be on the Festool version of the Repeater? Or perhaps I should just wait until the product is actually available for purchase.

Hi Dave.
I just post the pictures from today's testing.:cool:
Remember that the price is for 2 units. The UF repeater includes few more parts and heavier base. But the majority of parts are the same.
The goal is to increase the production and lower the price on both.
In any case the cost of producing the UF repeaters is only $20.00 more.
Now that I learn better English...I may as well "infer" almost the same?;)

Paul - you will be happy to know I edited my earlier post. Thank you so much for the English lesson. Are we even now?

and all this time I have no idea :confused: :D :eek: :rolleyes: any more faces?

Dave.
I looked at the new Festool saw in Edison and PA show.
Find me a buyer for my ATF.

YCF Dino

Paul Berendsohn
12-17-2005, 9:52 PM
Glad to help Dave, it was the least I could do to return the favor as I recall ;)

Dino Makropoulos
12-17-2005, 10:18 PM

Dev.
Why you delete your second post?:confused: :rolleyes:

200 years of evolution?

Let me tell you about Archimedes. Yes. The naked guy.
It took Humanity 1400 years to realize what the hell he was talking about.
and only after the great Newman. (Yes. The apple guy.) studied his work.
Imagine that.

Dev.
Knowledge wasn't meant to be protected.:cool:

Dave Falkenstein
12-17-2005, 11:22 PM
Dave.
I looked at the new Festool saw in Edison and PA show.
Find me a buyer for my ATF.

YCF Dino

Dino - eBay is the answer!!!

Dino Makropoulos
12-17-2005, 11:31 PM

The most famous Newman was Alfred E - "What, me worry?". The apple guy was Newton (Isaac). The other Apple guy was Jobs. Smile.

You and Paul.
Newman=Newton. I call Newton a Newman. (the father of physics)
Why you call Alfred E... Newman?
All smiles and ready to learn.

Bill Fields
12-18-2005, 12:27 AM
Alan--

I agree--Dev has a ton of knowledge that he freely contributes. Don't understand the sarcasm.

Bill Fields

Alan Tolchinsky
12-18-2005, 2:24 AM
Alan--

I agree--Dev has a ton of knowledge that he freely contributes. Don't understand the sarcasm.

Bill Fields

Bill, I'm almost sorry I asked the question to begin with. I have no agenda here and only wanted some ideas on using a guided saw system. I don't know why some people are so sensitive on this subject and feel so strongly that you are advocating one system over another. But for the most part this board is very civil and a pleasure to be part of. Maybe we should ban ever talking about this again.:cool:

Frank Pellow
12-18-2005, 8:21 AM
The other Apple guy was Jobs. Smile.

The "real" other Apple guy was Wozniak. I worked a bit with both Steve's and admired Steve Wozniak. I won't say how I felt about Steve Jobs.

Rick Shelton
12-18-2005, 9:02 AM

The most famous Newman was Alfred E - "What, me worry?".

Funny. I was thinking of the "Seinfield" Newman. :D

Paul Berendsohn
12-18-2005, 9:37 AM
Sorry Dave, but I know you're a stickler for spelling and grammar. You said "The most famous Newman was Alfred E - "What, me worry?". The apple guy was Newton (Isaac). The other Apple guy was Jobs. Smile" In point of fact, it was Alfred E. Neuman.

(http://www.toonopedia.com/alfred_e.htm)

Just here to help...

Regards,

Paul B

Paul Berendsohn
12-18-2005, 3:09 PM
Actually Dave (and for the benefit of anyone reading this who might wonder why I'm busting your chops), I think tacky is when someone (yours truly) commits a simple typo and another party (yourself) says "if you want to use grown up words...etc etc" in correcting them. But I think my point was made... people in glass houses Dave ;)
Enjoy your afternoon.

PaulB

nic obie
12-18-2005, 3:12 PM
Maybe we should ban ever talking about this again.:cool:

Bingo :D :D :D

Ken Fitzgerald
12-18-2005, 3:18 PM
Yep! It's time to put it to rest!

Paul Berendsohn
12-18-2005, 3:33 PM
Works for me...

Dave Avery
12-18-2005, 5:06 PM
Actually Paul, I'm confident nobody cares why you are doing what you are doing. That's it Ken, I'm finished responding to Paul - forever.

Dave,

The "Ignore" feature - within User CP, I believe - is a wonderful thing.....

Dave Avery
12-18-2005, 7:36 PM
Thanks Frank - appreciate the kind words. I've been WAY too busy at work lately. Hadn't been in the shop for 8 months until yesterday - began a Greene and Greene style full size mirror Katherine (my LOML who is the both the best and most beautiful wife in the world). If it turns out well, I'll post a couple of pictures.

All the best. Dave.

Jay Knoll
12-18-2005, 9:06 PM
These GCS posts may be trainwrecks, but everybody seems to like to watch(read) the action -- over 1500 views!

I have to admit I am a bit amused about the amount of energy we put into these posts, but I do agree with Dave that it seems to have a bit of a commercial flair when E posts start.

I wish that we could require a series of commercial groupings -- heck now that we have secured the financial solvency of the Creek for awhile it wouldn't have to be real costly -- but I don't think it should be free either. Heck, $100-200 a year for those who want to flog their stuff seems reasonable to me. Then people can carry on about about their products without the rest of us getting upset, and we don't have to worry about shills, TOS ect.

Jay

Paul Berendsohn
12-18-2005, 9:07 PM
Hello David II,

Yawwwwnnnn...

Yes Yes... The Poor Aggrieved David(s) club meets on Sundays. I guess returning insults in kind isn't what you'd be used to. Thank God you have that "ignore" button...whewwwwwwww.

Paul Berendsohn
12-18-2005, 9:26 PM
1500 views Jay?

Fascinating analogy, the train wreck. Allow me to divert the thread for just a moment please? Personally, I think it's really very simple.

I'm a much more frequent member of another forum (around 1200 posts IIRC) and I don't think I've had 3 cross words with another member in all of them, and candidly I take no pleasure in them here. But, unlike that forum, it seems that Dino, or his fans, are unable to post anything relating to Eurekazone products here without catty comments, innuendo and derision being heaped upon them. As I've said many times, Dino is my friend, and I am a delighted customer of his products (bought and paid for each and every one). I react no less strongly that many others here would when a friend is attacked, or when another fan of a product I support is heckled (let's call a spade a spade... if someone called a user of another brand's post an "infomercial" here, that would be unheard of).

If someone here can comment on a Eurekazone product without being the subject of condescending, inappropriate, unkind remarks... I'm all too happy to stay out of the fray. You differ with a comment? Hey, this is America, differ all you want... but get nasty, snotty or make some veiled insult and I'll be all too happy to give it back in spades.

And to all a Good Night ;)

PaulB

Ken Fitzgerald
12-18-2005, 9:48 PM
Folks....could we please let the insults go! Drop it. Please!

Jay Knoll
12-18-2005, 9:50 PM
Yes Paul, look 1508, just look at the post summary.

Pete Harbin
12-18-2005, 10:54 PM
As valuable as a Guided Circular Saw system is, it's a shame that we, "grown men and women", can't discuss this particular tool or the use of this tool without it degenerating into a mud-slinging, jerk-a-thon filled with snyde comments and "polite" insults.

I have one of the systems...I won't dare mention which one...and for the record, I NO LONGER CARE WHICH ONE YOU HAVE OR LIKE!

Both sides, F and E, are out of line. Get a grip! We would all "oooh and aaah" if one of the big wigs from Lee Valley or Lie-Neilsen logged on to tell us about the new line of the latest and greatest planes, but Dino can't even log on and respond (That's right he resonded, not solicited!) to mention a new item and even show pictures of it in use without being run up the flag pole. This is the same guy who donates a considerable amount, and has recieved nothing but praise for his cusomter servcie.

Now to the flip-side. There are quite a few E owners that run into battle at the drop of a hat. If someone makes a critical point (Like we ALL do with EVERY OTHER brand of tool) about the E system they scream and stamp their feet like children. I have to imagine that Dino is sitting at home shaking his head wishing that some folks would stop "helping" or "defending" him. Why can we discuss how lousy the new Brand X sander is, or compare Y and Z tablesaws, but we can't ask a question (or even, "Oh no!" question the reasoning) about an EZ product? Most of the EZ stuff is new in concept. OF COURSE folks are going to have questions, or even have an opinion about whether or not it's a good idea. I'm willing to bet that Dino (and every other manufaturer) would find these questions and comments to be gold.

Please tell me, are we actually capable of discussing what is becoming a more and more common tool in a lot of shops, or will we continue to disrespect each other (and ourselves) everytime this subject comes up?

Are we really incapable of reading a post from a proud new F or E owner, or hearing about the new Festool saws or new EZ Repeater? Please tell me that there is more to our contributory abilities than correcting each other's spelling and grammer in an effort to put one another down. I for one would rather hear about the specs on the new Festool saws and maybe see some gloat pics from folks who've been able to put their hot little hands on one, or maybe even see some new pics of the latest EZ product that makes paper-thin crosscuts or hooks up to a powered planer. That's the cool stuff...that's the TOOL stuff.

For the record, I could care less if you find a spelling or grammatical error in this or any of my posts, and if you spend the next 30 minutes reviewing my past posts to quote me on something I may have said about F or E in the past...GET A LIFE!

Dino, please keep doing what you're doing.

Uncle Bob, please keep showing us all the cool, drool-worthy tools that Festool produces.

And now I need to think on something happy...Mike Modano scored his tenth goal and twentieth assist tonight in a Stars win over the Chicago Blackhawks. He's averaging a point per game so far. I really think the guys look tough this year and could make another run for the Cup. Aaaaahhhh! I feel better already...:D

Pete

Edit added - Guys, I owe an apology. I was allowing the history of this fiasco to get me fired up too. I said in my post (and I'm leaving it there for everyone to read) that "F and E are both out of line." As I recall, there is no specific mention of Festool in an argumentative way, so I hope you lucky Festool owners will forgive me. My post is refering to some of the history we've had around Guided Systems, but nobody was throwing Festool around in a way that would invoke the tension that is running wild here. Sorry guys.

Ed Blough
12-18-2005, 11:41 PM
Thank you Pete! I asked a question about guided saw/tool systems to see what new and innovative ways people have found to use them. Two things happened the thread kept turning into a spitting contest and I took so much heat for trying to keep in on track that I gave up.

I have come to the conclusion that until I can get reliable and accurate feedback on the them I'm just going to wait until the magazines decide to do an indepth comparison. I have seen a few reveiws but most either seem like an infomercial or they only look at one aspect of the guided tool concept.

Chris Padilla
12-19-2005, 2:28 AM
LOL...some things never change on here! FWIW, I have both systems and they both work great! :)

Jay Knoll
12-19-2005, 1:11 PM
[QUOTE=Frank Chaffee]Jay,
I am thinking that your suggestion that we need another format here is an idea whose time has come. Personally I see Dino as a valuable and passionate inventor for woodworkers, but it would separate the purveyor and user sides of this forum if Dino could present his products as a manufacturer in another area.

Frank

Great thoughts! So how do we make that happen?

I don't want to make this a F vs E or a Dino vs ? question, I think the problem arises because of what can appear to be inconsistent application of the TOS rules, and some members who take it upon themselves to defend and/or criticize posts.

I recall awhile ago that another member was cut off by the moderators when he posted wood for sale. My sense is that his posts were much less intrusive to the Creek's operation than the whole business about F/E etc but were deemed "too commercial". On the whole, I think that designation could also be applied to other posts here but that hasn't happened. This apparant inconsistency, I think, leads to the confusion/controversy we have been experiencing

I think the moderators need to get their heads around this problem, perhaps consider several alternatives and put it out for a poll and then make a final decision so we can get back to the fun stuff.

Thanks again for your level headed observations.

Jay

Ken Fitzgerald
12-19-2005, 1:27 PM
Jay....why couldnt' it be handled on the Manufacturer's forum? Dino could place his products on the manufacturer's forum....Threads of any sorts concerning those products could be asked of Dino there. If you use the "New Posts" button at the top of the page, anytime someone posts there you'd see it. :confused:

Alan Tolchinsky
12-19-2005, 1:35 PM
Alan,
You deserve a chance to ask your question again without having your thread derailed. Maybe we can get the non-relevant posts deleted from this one.

Sorry for what happened.

Frank

Frank, Looking back I wish I hadn't mentioned any specific system in my original post. I now feel the system would have been irrelevant to my question as both are similar in what they do. I just don't see why people get so "crazy" about all this. Maybe it's all the personal attacks which are unfortunate. When you look at all the things going on in the world and in our own personal lives, isn't this all just a bit ridiculous? I know I have more important things to worry about than E vs. F.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-19-2005, 1:44 PM
Alan....I agree with your position as you just stated it. I don't have either system but I do have a CS and an straight edge. I've been a member here for a while and this subject has always brought out the worst actions on the part of some members. I just don't understand why? As SMC has grown more people with a broader range of personalities have joined and I can understand that brings some headaches with it. What I can't understand is why people sink to the point that they think they have to start "flaming" and purposely irritating, slandering or demeaning others. Everybody has a right to an opinion and I celebrate and will defend the right to differ but I don't believe having that right gives people the right to insult or demean others. It's just childish IMHO.:confused:

tod evans
12-19-2005, 2:12 PM
pete, thanks for being the voice of reason. tod

Ed Blough
12-19-2005, 5:34 PM
As for Dino or Bob Marino posting here I think it is great to get the latest and greatest from both camps. I don't see their posts as a problem at all.

What I see this as a problem where people that own Festool and Ezguide getting into a spitting contest every time Festool, Ezguide or guided saw system is mentioned. They have derailed nearly every thread on the subject with their nonsense and eventually get to point of insulting each other then apologizing when others tell them they crossed the line.

I asked a question and it quickly turned into a just such a contest but the thing that surprised me was the number of PM's that I received from people that had really good information to offer but said they would not openly put it on the forum because of past problems. To me that is sad and totally defeats the purpose of these groups.

Ken Salisbury
12-20-2005, 4:34 PM
Here we go again ! ! !

In reviewing this thread I see the old wounds festering again. The original poster (Alan) asked a simple woodworking question on how to get the expected results from his recent purchase of an EZ Smart system. The thread rapidly (only after 5 replies) degenerated to another E vs F fiasco including insults, personal attacks and various other TOS violations.

Of the 57 posts in this thread, AT LEAST, in my opinion, a majority (30) have absolutely no content relative to the question asked by Alan. I gave a lot of thought to scrubbing all the responses and editing out the irrelevent content. After realizing this was going to take a couple hours to clean up this mess and realizing I would get a bunch of PM's and E-mails questioning why I edited a particular post, causing even more fruitless labor. SO I repectfully request that all responders to this thread review their post's and either edit or delete the inapproprate comments.

All members should give some thought to their responses and ask themselves if it is at least germain to the thread's subject or not. If the thread triggers a new thought in your head then you should start a new thread to discuss that thought.

All further posts to this thread with be closely reviewed and edited/deleted as I feel is appropriate

PLEASE - LET IT GO !! !!

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/misc/moderator.gif

Scott Coffelt
12-20-2005, 4:52 PM
LOL...some things never change on here! FWIW, I have both systems and they both work great! :)

Now Chris, when have you had time to use them? Heck, I am still waiting for the final shop update pics. :rolleyes: :p Nice to see you back posting a little more, sure missed you. If your daughter is anything like my son, I am sure she is almost full grown now (they seem to do that faster these days).

Anyways, just pulling your chain.

Scott Coffelt
12-20-2005, 5:02 PM
Now as to answer the original question, I just do it the old fashion way. I have a good quality tape measure and a fine pencil. I make two lines/marks, align my GSS rail to the lines and either clamp or just cut. I do have a TS for repeatability of items within 26", over that I just either use the same piece I cut to make the marks or the original tape measure. I find this to work for me, no plans to buy any mfr solution at least in the foreseable future.

I think some of the suggestions sound good for homemade ones, or if one has the $'s to spend the repeater's being offered are another option. I find the accuracy of my solution to be just fine for furniture and cabinet building. If speed/production is an issue, I am not sure a GSS is really the answer anyways. I think they excel at their intended tasks. One option is to buy a good tape dedicated to the GSS so as to make sure it doesn't get too much abuse and stays accurate longer.

other than that, I choose to stay out of the other hoopla going on. I've said my peace int he past, for the others as Ken has said, Let it go!

Richard Wolf
12-20-2005, 5:53 PM
Let me stick my $.02 in here. I think that the problem people have with Dino and the aformentioned EZ system is a result of every time Dino post on this forum, it's about the EZ system. It is almost never anything else, never. After much contemplation about this I have come to believe that this is all he feels he can contribute to this fourm. I am not saying this in a mean way, but Dino is an inventor and businessman and I, once again believe, that all of his time is dedicated to his business.
So, like most of us, he wants to contribute, but all he can safely discuss is his invention. When a tread pops up about it, so does Dino.
I could be out in left field on this, but it is what I think and I have made peace with this issue and no longer find that it upsets me like it used to.
I don't own an E, but do own an F, if that matter to anyone.

Richard

Frank Pellow
01-29-2006, 7:53 PM
Hi Dave.

YFCF Dino
I like to tie up loose ends in threads to help folks in the future who are looking at our archives.

It turns out that this did not happen. In fact, according to Dino, the project is now "on hold". See the thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=30078