PDA

View Full Version : Fascinating luthier documentary on Canadian cable provider

Howard Rosenberg
10-14-2019, 3:38 PM
Hi all,

Our cable provider, Rogers, has a fabulous documentary, "Carmine Street Guitars" currently showing among what they call Crave selections. It's nestled in between HBO and its offerings. If you get HBO, you might find it among all the movies they show.

It's about a solid body electric guitar building business in lower Manhattan. The owner has great insight into marketing - he uses wood from old buildings in his Greenwich Village neighbourhood. The movie shows, with a lot of respect, the various people that stop in to chat, his relationship with his apprentice and his neighbourhood.

If you're into luthiery, and the social impact woodworking businesses can have on their communities, you might enjoy this.

​​​​​​​Howard

Jim Becker
10-14-2019, 8:12 PM
I've seen at least one article on that maker...very nice approach and a lot of history in those instruments. I up-cycled a little older material for my first two builds, but nothing like what that maker is using!

Rod Sheridan
10-15-2019, 6:36 AM
I saw that at TIFF.

It was very interesting.....Rod

Howard Rosenberg
10-16-2019, 8:44 AM
Yeah, he sure knows how to tell the story of his builds. I loved the guitar they made out of the floor of McSorley's, a local saloon from the mid-1800's.