PDA

View Full Version : Track Saw Setup

Nathan Johnson
10-12-2019, 9:59 AM
Newbie woodworker, and most experience with hand tools.
Just ordered the Makita track saw with two 55" tracks.
Any neat setup or other tips I should be aware of off the bat?
Do you folks wax the tracks?

I'll likely pick up some foam at some point, but for now I've got old closet doors as sacrificial work support.

Jim Becker
10-12-2019, 10:04 AM
The one "setup" thing you need to do is to run the saw down the length of the rail to trim the rubber edge so it's zero clearance with your particular saw and blade before you start to use it for cutting material. Congrats on your new tool!

Jamie Buxton
10-12-2019, 10:16 AM
Figure out how to connect your two track sections together so that they are straight enough for your purposes. On my track saw, the joiners don't assure straightness. A long straightedge is necessary.

ChrisA Edwards
10-12-2019, 10:24 AM
I use a couple of TSO Products when using my Festool track saw.

Not sure if these would fit the Makita track, but here they are.

The first is the https://tsoproducts.com/tso-guide-rail-squares/grs-16-guide-rail-square/ GRS-16 which allow for a good 90 degree cross cut.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-86e7d/images/stencil/500x659/products/47/1519/GRS-16-NextGen-02__29613.1563397698.jpg?c=3

The other is their https://tsoproducts.com/tso-parallel-guide-system/tpg-50-complete-parallel-guide-system/ Parallel Guide system, that has stops, so it's easy to make repeatable parallel cuts without measuring each time. I bought this a la carte, so I didn't buy the pieces I thought were redundant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQIrcclxqMU&t=9s

Alan Schwabacher
10-12-2019, 10:26 AM
Make sure you cut the rubber edge using the blade you intend to use with the tracksaw.

Presumably the Makita comes with a good blade, but with some cheaper saws you'd replace the blade and then cut the edge.

Jared Sankovich
10-12-2019, 10:42 AM
The Makita blade is fantastic for plywood. Get a 28t tenryu for ripping hardwood and for general usage. The 14t blades tend to deflect and vibrate thereby eating the splinter strip.

Also just bite the bullet and get the 118" track. Its so much nicer better and faster than two 55's

Jim Becker
10-12-2019, 12:44 PM
The prices for the Makita tracks are sometimes pretty good if you can catch a sale/promotion...there are those of us who use them with our Festool saws (they are compatible). There's a thread here somewhere where someone did get the 188" track, maybe a year ago or so for that purpose. (?) The price was right for sure. My "shortie" track is a Makita track I recently purchased from another 'Creeker.

Nathan Johnson
10-13-2019, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the feedback.
After some fiddling, I was able to dial in 90° and I'm pretty blown away at the cut quality with the stock blade cutting plywood and mdf.

I can definitely see where the longer track would be beneficial. Kind of a pain to join/unjoin all the time, but at this point accessories are going to have to wait. I already took this cash from the 2020 Wedding/Honeymoon fund. The good news is I'm mostly a hand tool hobbyist and won't need daily use from the saw. But so far, I'm very pleased.

Jacob Mac
10-13-2019, 10:31 AM
I got the long track last year. It is nice, if you have room to store it, but definitely a luxury.

Jim Becker
10-13-2019, 10:33 AM
'Glad it's worked out for you, Nathan! While I agree that the long track is desirable, you can just put it on your "wish list" for later and when you are ready, keep your eye out for a promotion that helps with the cost. The Makita tracks are priced pretty reasonably compared to some others, fortunately.

Carl Beckett
10-13-2019, 12:02 PM
I always like to flag safety related issues when I see them.

I already took this cash from the 2020 Wedding/Honeymoon fund.

This may not be safe. Not safe at all...

Ray Newman
10-13-2019, 12:20 PM
RE. TSO products -- from the web site:

"Compatible Guide Rails (Both): FESTOOL, MAKITA and TRITON (not compatible with FESTOOL HK 55 Carpentry Saws including the FSK 250, FSK 420 and FSK 670; not compatible with BOSCH or DEWALT tracks)" Emphasis added: RCN

Doug Dawson
10-13-2019, 12:49 PM
I always like to flag safety related issues when I see them.

This may not be safe. Not safe at all...

Vegas, try Vegas. (Put the rest in an index fund.)

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/12/style/vegas-wedding-chapels.html

Nathan Johnson
10-13-2019, 12:57 PM
Ha, I appreciate the concern.

We've been engaged for 11 years and we're doing a very small wedding at the house. My brother will officiate.
My fiance doesn't know I've been squirreling away a little extra in this separate account. Technically it's my future fishing boat account, but...priorities, ya know.

Doug Dawson
10-13-2019, 2:42 PM
I got the long track last year. It is nice, if you have room to store it, but definitely a luxury.

The little hooky-things that Festool sells to make longer tracks out of shorter ones, IMO they don't work reliably, it's really the workmanship of risk. It's one of their weaker products. I wouldn't consider it a luxury to be in a position to trust your tools to work right. :^/

Rich Engelhardt
10-13-2019, 5:37 PM
Technically it's my future fishing boat account, but...priorities, ya know.Some good advice I picked up here at SMC few years ago is - "If it flies, floats or fools around, rent it".....as a former boat owner all I can say is - it's sound advice ;)..

I have the Makita cordless track saw & love it. I also have a Festool TS55 EQ & both Festool rails and Makita rails. I haven't used the Festool saw since I picked up the Makita.
I do use the Festool tracks with the Makita most of the time. I find them just a bit more accurate.

joseph f merz
10-14-2019, 10:07 PM
what are you going to cut on . I now have scrap carpet on hand .On a table in the shop I have a piece of carpet .Perfect for cutting .Set blade just a bit deeper then what your cutting .Carpet is great for sanding on also .holds strange shapes steady for sanding and cutting . I carry carpet scraps in the truck also for jobsight work ,I can toss it on many flat surfaces and have a place to use my track saw .

Steve Fish
10-15-2019, 6:39 PM
Not my intention to derail the thread but I think my question may fit here since I’m also interested in a tracksaw setup. I’ve noticed some bad reviews on amazon when it comes to joining the makita track pieces. Any reason the ends could not be cut to square in a RAS? I’m leaning towards the Makita as it seems more aftermarket and FT accessories will work with this track as opposed to dewalt or bosh. Please correct me if I’m wrong. Thanks

Doug Dawson
10-15-2019, 6:47 PM
Not my intention to derail the thread but I think my question may fit here since I’m also interested in a tracksaw setup. I’ve noticed some bad reviews on amazon when it comes to joining the makita track pieces. Any reason the ends could not be cut to square in a RAS? I’m leaning towards the Makita as it seems more aftermarket and FT accessories will work with this track as opposed to dewalt or bosh. Please correct me if I’m wrong. Thanks

You mean the ends of the_tracks_? Somehow I don't think that's what they were talking about.

Dave Sabo
10-15-2019, 7:23 PM
The little hooky-things that Festool sells to make longer tracks out of shorter ones, IMO they don't work reliably, it's really the workmanship of risk. It's one of their weaker products. I wouldn't consider it a luxury to be in a position to trust your tools to work right. :^/

While the Festool connector strips aren't their best effort, Makita's are better and TSO's are great; they do work reliably if you know how to use them. There are articles and videos on proper setup. Use a reliable straight edge like a level and leave a tiny gap between the ends.

We we cut cabinet panels from Europe for demanding clients all the time with two joined rails. If there's poor workmanship it takes 6-10 weeks to get a new one and they cost thousands of dollars plus the expedited air shipping. We've not replaced one yet because the cuts were bad.

A long rail is nice until you have to store it in your vehicle, cram it in a short elevator, or walk it up 3+ stories of stairs.

No no need to wax the rails, the glide strips on top are plenty slick. Be aware there are some reports that Makita's new notched strips are causing wear on the saw bases.

Steve Fish
10-15-2019, 8:14 PM
You mean the ends of the_tracks_? Somehow I don't think that's what they were talking about.
Yeah I did the assumption thing there as some of the complaints noted the ends were out of square. I don’t have any experience with this system. Possibly some of user error in setup, I will look into the parts and technique Doug mentions.
Thanks for the info guys.

Nathan Johnson
10-17-2019, 3:15 PM
Some good advice I picked up here at SMC few years ago is - "If it flies, floats or fools around, rent it".....as a former boat owner all I can say is - it's sound advice ;)..

I have the Makita cordless track saw & love it. I also have a Festool TS55 EQ & both Festool rails and Makita rails. I haven't used the Festool saw since I picked up the Makita.
I do use the Festool tracks with the Makita most of the time. I find them just a bit more accurate.

I've heard the rent advice. The other one I like, and have utilized to my advantage for a while now is, "the best boat is the one someone else is making payments on."