PDA

View Full Version : Amana Router Bit for Glass Cabinet Doors

John Myer
10-11-2019, 3:43 PM
Has anyone ever used the Amana 53630 or Amana 53632 router bit for making glass cabinet doors? Amana refers to the bits as "Offset Mortise and Tenon Bits." If I understand how the bits can be used they provide a relatively simple method to make such doors. I would like to hear from any actual user of these router bits.

Mark Bolton
10-11-2019, 3:49 PM
We just run sticking normally and then blow the back side off with a rabbeting bit and slot it for vinyl glass retainer. No need for specific bits

J.R. Rutter
10-12-2019, 1:14 PM
We rust use a rabbet bit as well, but the Amana does have the advantage of leaving square inside corners.

Jared Sankovich
10-12-2019, 4:42 PM
I do the same as JR and Mark, though TDL doors get to be a pain with all the corners to square up.

Actually i think it was a post by JR from years ago that got me to do them that way

Jim Becker
10-13-2019, 10:41 AM
The set you mention cuts out a step, but I also do what others have suggested and simply remove the back side in the glass area after cutting with a regular bit or blade for the glass recess. I then create filler strips that get fastened in with pin nails (so they are removable) after pre-finishing them.