PDA

View Full Version : nortons internet securty

Mike Stanton
12-16-2005, 2:55 PM
:mad: I had nortons internet securty 2006. it was less than one month old. It let people into my computer and crash it 3 times. I went to there corp office here and said I wanted a refund . They said that it had to mailed out and would be 6 weeks or more to get my refund. Sucks. Mike

Michael Gabbay
12-16-2005, 2:58 PM
I installed Norton 2006 the other night and it created a huge conflict with my Zone Alarm firewall. I requested a refund and installed the full Zone Alarm suite. It is working great so far.

Dave Falkenstein
12-16-2005, 3:22 PM
A bit off topic, but I'll chime in anyway. I installed Norton SystemWorks 2006, which includes AntiVirus, about a week ago, and have had not one single problem. I have a copy of Norton Personal Firewall 2006, but I am hesitant to install it. I use the standard Windows XP firewall on a DSL connection, and have had no problems - yet. Anybody out there with Norton Personal Firewall 2006 experience to share?

Brian Hale
12-16-2005, 3:46 PM
I've been running Norton for over 10 years and had no trouble. That's not to say this latest version doesn't have a bug but it would surprise me if it did. If you install the full suite on a computer that has been compromised there may be some problems. Also, running multiple firewalls is not always a good idea.

Brian

CPeter James
12-16-2005, 3:50 PM
Lots of Luck with Zone alarm. I am a 5 year user and have not been able to get the last two or three updates to run on my computer. Check out the on line forum. I am looking at Outpost for a firewall. I use Nod32 (www.eset.com) for a antivirus and it is far superior to Norton or Macafee.

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board?board.id=inst

CPeter

Jim Fancher
12-16-2005, 4:00 PM
I wouldn't run DSL without a Linksys BEFSX41 or something similar. It has a built-in firewall.

Bernie Weishapl
12-16-2005, 4:45 PM
I have also been running Norton for over 10 yrs. No problems thus far. I just put on the new 2006 Norton Internet Security with firewall and antivirus with no problems running XP. You can't run another firewall with it. I know you can't run Zone Alarm FW or XP firewall or you will have problems.

Dan Racette
12-16-2005, 5:18 PM
:)

viruses are not a problem. :)

No, I don't want to get in a mac pc war, it was just a suggestion. ;)

John Miliunas
12-16-2005, 6:16 PM
:)

viruses are not a problem. :) YET!!!:D

If Macs get that popular sometime in the future, I guarantee your statement will no longer be valid! :D :cool:

Paul Prescott
12-17-2005, 1:42 AM
Installed Norton Internet Security & Norton System Works both 2006 3 weeks ago. Smooth installation and no problems at all. Have used Norton products since the very first one way back in the 80's with complete satisfaction.

You do need to understand the complexities of Internet security to tweak it if you have problems (as I originally did with the 2005 version).

Ken Fitzgerald
12-17-2005, 7:08 AM
I turn off XP firewall and just renewed my subscription of ZonelAlarm Pro....Worksgreat! I had free ZoneAlarm for several years and a couple of years ago upgraded to ZoneAlarm Pro

Frank Hagan
12-17-2005, 11:49 AM
I generally don't like the "suite" approach to these things. The suites tend to have one great product, and several bloated also-rans. I have had users who had trouble seeing pictures on forums with over-zealous Norton Internet Security settings (you have to add the URL of the site to the "allowed" section; NIS is blocking what it thinks might be tracking images).

For firewalls, ZoneAlarm works well, but I dropped software firewalls when I got my broadband router. A hardware firewall is a much better solution, IMHO.

That leaves virus protection and spyware protection to be dealt with. As much as I hate to admit it, Microsoft's beta AntiSpyware is pretty good. I use it and Ad-Aware primarily, with an occasional use of Spybot Search and Destroy.

For virus protection, I use Norton Anti-Virus. I recently did a survey of AV products since my annual subscription runs out in February, and Norton again came out on top. My criteria is the historical performance of the product, not just the latest test results. The independent Virus Bulletin site at http://www.virusbtn.com/index has ratings of all the anti-virus programs out there.

Matt Meiser
12-17-2005, 12:59 PM
I agree that Norton has gone downhill over the past couple years. I've been using their Antivirus for close to 10 years now, but after way to many troubles keeping 2005 activated, I'm testing Computer Associates antivirus on my daughter's computer. If you go through Microsoft's security web site, you can get a 1 year free trial. I can also get a steep discount on Trend from work, which I might try on another computer.

Dennis Peacock
12-17-2005, 3:17 PM
I use the full Norton suite of Internet security and parental control. It's not an install and forget kinda thing. You need to take some time and tweak it to suite your specific needs. I also have the latest and like it.

Jim Becker
12-17-2005, 7:15 PM
I moved away from McAfee and Norton products largely because they have become so darn bloated that they signficantly affect system performance. The speed goose when I uninstalled McAfee virus protection and installed AVG was, umm...quite noticable. Dennis is also correct that they need a bit of care and feeding that many folks are not comfortable with.

Harry Goodwin
12-17-2005, 7:54 PM
I'm no geru and use Zone alarm pro and Norton. My problem was their tech service don't do it. It's english is so bad it cost me over $90 and still didn't fix it and I installed another new program (last year's) and it worked fine. I'll never pay for telephone charge for tech stuff again.I simply conuldn't communicate with the far east. Harry