PDA

View Full Version : GO632Z tool rest suggestion

Stark Suggs
10-09-2019, 12:43 PM
Just finished a cherry bowl. Its the first to make it off the lathe bowl. The other two did not make it...3rd times a charm :-). Pleased with the outcome, but looking for a 1" rest with some sort of a curve...j shaped etc...to reach an inside spot or two on the next bowl. Any suggestions for a reliable brand? Ideally, $75 max. More may be needed for the purchase. Thanks!

Roger Chandler
10-09-2019, 12:47 PM
I like and use the Robust inside bowl rest. For deep forms I like the Robust “J” rest. You would have to either call, or go to turnrobust.com to see what length post you need for a 16” swing lathe. Bestwoodtools.com is another great place to find turning accessories that are quality.

Alex Zeller
10-09-2019, 1:48 PM
Being that I'm still pretty new to turning I would suggest to do a few more bowls first and work on technique. The inside of a bowl is usually more difficult for me because of the limited room. What I try to do is work on making the lightest of cuts. I will say this, I would replace the stock straight tool rest immediately. The cast one vs the Robust ones with a harden steel bar on them (or another brand) will make it much easier to slide your tool. Swapping it out on my Grizzly made me wish I did it on day one. You might be able to get away with using the straight side of a J rest to avoid buying a second one down the road but I always find when I'm learning that adding extra challenges into the mix isn't the best idea.

Stark Suggs
10-11-2019, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the information. After looking at my options and the positive feedback on Robust, that will be my route. Take care