PDA

View Full Version : Performax thickness sander problems

Dean Coss
10-07-2019, 5:05 AM
I have a Performax 22-44 sander and I just cant seem to get the sandpaper on the drum tight enough. I have the paper oriented on the drum correctly, following the arrow on the paper, but i cant seem to get the ends tight enough in those crappy clips and I just trashed two rolls that came loose when I fired it up and the ends flapped until they were ruined. What the hell am I doing wrong?

Matt Day
10-07-2019, 8:14 AM
Is the end, where the clip is, spring loaded? The clip on my old sander would rotate and the spring would keep the paper taut.

Dean Coss
10-07-2019, 8:53 AM
Both ends have a clip to hold the paper, but it’s the one near the motor that is supposed to hold the paper tight. It doesn’t appear to be doing its job and I can’t get my fingers in there to pull the paper tight. I almost thought about using some spray adhesive on the drum and back of the paper to hold it on...

Jeff Ramsey
10-07-2019, 9:16 AM
I have an older 16/32. You're using the tool that Performax sent to lift the spring-loaded clip and lock it while inserting the paper end? I have to go back and forth a few times after getting the paper in before it's tight (being cut properly also matters). Often I have to reach in underneath and tug on the end of the paper while lifting up on the clip.

Dean Coss
10-07-2019, 9:20 AM
Yes, I do have that tool, but I can’t get my fingers in to pull on the paper. I might modify a pair of needle nose pliers and bend them so that I can reach in and grab the end with those to try and pull it tight. But that might not work. Just trying to come up with some ideas.

Jeff Ramsey
10-07-2019, 9:21 AM
I use needle nose pliers; I should have been clearer in my post.

Dean Coss
10-07-2019, 10:06 AM
I might have to modify (bend) a pair of needle nose pliers to get that to work. But it’s worth a shot.

George Bokros
10-07-2019, 10:42 AM
I doubt you will bent the needle nose pliers. I have a pair that I bought that was mfg bent. Google bent needle nose pliers and you will find some.

Bill Carey
10-07-2019, 1:01 PM
I have an older 16/32. You're using the tool that Performax sent to lift the spring-loaded clip and lock it while inserting the paper end? I have to go back and forth a few times after getting the paper in before it's tight (being cut properly also matters). Often I have to reach in underneath and tug on the end of the paper while lifting up on the clip.

I bought a used one last weekend and f'ed around trying to get the paper on and finally had to go to the last resort - read the instructions. And there was a single loose paper about the Tuftool. Which of course did not come with it. Found one on ebay and I really hope it makes the job easier. I can't get the clip on the motor side - the takeup clip - to hold on to the paper.

On another note, I've heard that the smaller dust port can cause problems. Anyone modified the cover for a 4" port?

Karl Card
10-07-2019, 9:29 PM
I have the 16/32 performax and the only p0roblem I have had is keeping the drum straight. I have bought an upgrade bracket that I still have not installed yet that is support to keep the drum in place better. Anyone else installed this upgrade kit or have problem having to adjust drum constantly?

John K Jordan
10-07-2019, 9:59 PM
I found the tuftool difficult to use. I now use my hands, the trick for me was getting the paper tail in the right place in the clip so the spring tensions it properly. I had to position an inspection mirror and light to see enough to understand how to use the clip. I curl the tail of the paper so it goes into the right place when pushed thru the slot while holding the clip open.

So many people have problems with this. The clip design may be sub-optimum.

My Performax 22-44 came with a 4" port. The collection cover/hood works quite well connected to the 5-hp ClearVue cyclone.

JKJ

I bought a used one last weekend and f'ed around trying to get the paper on and finally had to go to the last resort - read the instructions. And there was a single loose paper about the Tuftool. Which of course did not come with it. Found one on ebay and I really hope it makes the job easier. I can't get the clip on the motor side - the takeup clip - to hold on to the paper.

On another note, I've heard that the smaller dust port can cause problems. Anyone modified the cover for a 4" port?

Bill Carey
10-07-2019, 10:12 PM

So many people have problems with this. The clip design may be sub-optimum. ...........

JKJ

I think you are being generous with the sub-obtimum rating, John. Very difficult to use, especially with bad fingers, so I'm hoping the tuftool helps out. I did the inspection mirror routine as well and if I'm not mistaken that little clip next to the motor is signed by Rube Goldberg. If the tuftool doesn't help, plan B might be in the offing.

Frank Drackman
10-08-2019, 8:07 AM
I take time to "break in" the end of the paper that is on the motor side. I find that flexible paper is much easier to get deep in the slot. I then use curved forceps to pull the paper tight.

Ron Magliocco
10-08-2019, 10:31 AM
I use 1” black Gorilla tape on the motor side. Not pretty but it’s held up pretty well. I’m thinking about converting to hook and loop

Bill Carey
10-08-2019, 12:00 PM
I use 1” black Gorilla tape on the motor side. Not pretty but it’s held up pretty well. I’m thinking about converting to hook and loop

So if I understand you correctly, you lose an 1" of capacity on the right hand side? Which might be just fine for me. And for the H&L would cover the entire drum with one or the other?

glenn bradley
10-08-2019, 12:07 PM
I think you are being generous with the sub-obtimum rating,

Too true. I don't know what is so different on the SuperMax but, changing paper is a non-issue. I use a lot of grits and think nothing of changing during the sanding protocol. Could the SuperMax clip be retrofitted onto the Performax maybe?

Bill Carey
10-09-2019, 3:45 PM
Finally got the tuftool and I was able to easily change the paper. Don't think I would keep the tool if it had not worked. After several operations on my fingers, and 2 more coming up, there was no way I could change the paper otherwise.

Ron Magliocco
10-09-2019, 4:10 PM
Yes to both questions. I lose and inch but save lots of time. And the hook and look covers the whole drum and you buy paper to match. I think grizzly sells a conversion kit for their Sanders

Matthew Curtis
10-09-2019, 4:21 PM

I ordered a replacement cover from jet that has the 4" port. It did need a little modification to attach the hinges, but it works well.