PDA

View Full Version : Making a raised panel...

Josh Goldsmith
12-16-2005, 11:22 AM
I have been making some raised panels for a small cabinet project. I bought some generic raised panel bits. It seems like when i go cross grain it sometimes chunks the wood. Sometimes i have to take small passes to get a clean cut. Could this be from my generic bits. My router is a craftsman 2 1/4hp varial speed. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Josh

Matt Tawes
12-16-2005, 11:27 AM
Hey Josh,

Reduce the speed on your router to around 12-15000 RPM and make cut in 2-3 passes while keeping a moderate feed rate. Larger panel raising bits require slower speeds to avoid chipout and you cannot make the cut in a single pass in most woods.

Hope this helps.

David Duke
12-16-2005, 1:32 PM
While premium bits will probably give you a cleaner cut, from the way you described it you are trying to make the cut in one pass.........BIG NO-NO!! As Matt said make the cut in several passes, I normally take about .060"-.125"at a time the deeper the cut the less I take off, with the final pass being around .060" max.

Bob Nazro
12-16-2005, 1:49 PM
Josh,
You've been given great advise on taking a little at a time with each pass. With the cross grain cuts always have a backer board behind the piece you are routing. This will help a great deal to eliminate the tearout you have been getting.