PDA

View Full Version : Precision Gloat

johnny means
10-05-2019, 5:09 PM
Happened upon this unicorn at the local flea market today. As far as I could tell, it's never been touched. Seller asked for $75, not to be rude, I countered with an offer of $65 and we head a deal. Ironically, after 20 odd years in the shop, I was finally entertaining the idea of buying a new Starrett combo square.

Mike Kees
10-05-2019, 5:35 PM
Johnny ,where in the heck do you shop ? I would have snapped that up too,even though I have one already.

Bruce Page
10-05-2019, 5:37 PM
Congrats, that is a great deal on a great combo square.

Jim Becker
10-05-2019, 7:35 PM
That's a nice unit. I think I came upon mine in a similar way, although not with the box nor the fancier piece you show installed on the rule. The rule is "crisp" and although I don't use the original rule much, having converted largely to metric, I pull it out without hesitation when I need that scale. (I use a metric replacement from Lee Valley in the Starrett body)

Brian Holcombe
10-05-2019, 8:11 PM
Beautiful find!

Rob Luter
10-05-2019, 8:41 PM
Well played sir.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-05-2019, 10:17 PM
Great bargain! I am not jealous..... :rolleyes:

michael langman
10-06-2019, 3:38 PM
Johnny, That is the same set I bought myself when I got out of the service and was working in a tool room.

When you loosen the knurled nut to slide the rule either out, or in, always loosen the nut a turn and a half, then push on the nut as you move the rule.
This will push the rule away from the surface it rests on and prevent wear, thus putting the square out of square.

Mark Hennebury
10-06-2019, 4:19 PM
A Great deal on a great piece of gear!

Bruce Wrenn
10-06-2019, 9:04 PM
Several years back, at local flea market, I bought a Brown and Sharpe machinest square for ten bucks. Vendor told me I was lucky, because if it had been a Stanley. cost would have been $20. Every time I use it, I silently laugh.

johnny means
10-06-2019, 9:12 PM
Johnny, That is the same set I bought myself when I got out of the service and was working in a tool room.

When you loosen the knurled nut to slide the rule either out, or in, always loosen the nut a turn and a half, then push on the nut as you move the rule.
This will push the rule away from the surface it rests on and prevent wear, thus putting the square out of square.
I'll definitely tru and keep that in mind.