PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Lathe Chucks

Mike Wilkins
12-16-2005, 11:06 AM
Anyone here in turning land use the 4 jaw chuck from Grizzly?? Being the budget minded tightwad that I am, I am looking to save a few bucks. If it just a piece of junk, let me know, and I will start saving for a quality unit from someone reputable. Thanks and watch those fingers.

Bernie Weishapl
12-16-2005, 11:09 AM
Mike I am interested in this post to. I was wondering about the Grizzly bowl turning chuck they have for around $40. Thanks for asking.

Lloyd Frisbee
12-16-2005, 11:17 AM
I have 2 Grizzly chucks and love both of them. I first got the $39 one with the 2 lollipop sticks to tighten. Works great but takes two hands. The $89 one is an exact copy of the Vicmark chuck. They even copied the vicmark instructions and whited out vicmark. The edges of the metal are sharp but a little filing or sanding fixes it. They are even making the jaws now too.

John Hart
12-16-2005, 11:21 AM
I just bought this chuck, following Chris Barton's recommendation. I love it!! ;)

Bernie Weishapl
12-16-2005, 1:18 PM
Thanks Lloyd. I was looking at the $89 one. It looks pretty good. John is that the one you got? I have heard the $39 is worth the money but takes two hands to tighten which some say is a pain when try to keep the piece in it. Thanks again.

John Hart
12-16-2005, 1:26 PM
Thanks Lloyd. I was looking at the $89 one. It looks pretty good. John is that the one you got? I have heard the $39 is worth the money but takes two hands to tighten which some say is a pain when try to keep the piece in it. Thanks again.

I don't know about it being a pain. It only takes one hand to tighten up around the piece. It can take one or two hands for the final tightening. Most of my tools take two hands anyway...So I don't consider it a problem. It sure is a lot better than my 4 jaw chuck....It has independent jaw adjustment....a tad difficult to get centered and requires 3 hands.:)

Chris Barton
12-16-2005, 4:25 PM
I have two of the $39 chucks and have never been disappointed with them. There are times I like them better even than my Oneway Stronghold. They do what they are supposed to do at a very fair price.

John Hart
12-16-2005, 4:32 PM
oops...I guess I should have specified.....Yep, I got the $39 chuck too

Rich Stewart
12-16-2005, 4:44 PM
I have two of the utility chucks from PSI and have no roblems with them. The two handed thing is not really a problem as you can tighen it enough with one hand to hold the piece and even give it a spin sometimes to see if it is turning true. Then final tighten it with the tools. Comes in handy when turning spindles that have to be adjusted.

John Bailey
12-16-2005, 5:36 PM
What've you been eatin' John, you look so much better.:o

John

John Hart
12-16-2005, 5:43 PM
What've you been eatin' John, you look so much better.:o

John

Thanks John!! I started munching on a piece of apple wood...."Apple a Day...." and all that. Now I suddenly feel like chuckin' wood all day! Hmmm :rolleyes:

Ernie Nyvall
12-16-2005, 5:57 PM
Well darn it. I shoulda sent my Grizz chuck back for an exchange. I must have received a bad one out of the bunch. I tightened it until I bent one of the little bars and my stuff still flew out of there.:eek: Oh well.

Ernie