PDA

View Full Version : A FOG Wood Project

Bill Kay
12-16-2005, 10:51 AM
This is a simple project when compared to the stuff I see you folks build on a regular basis.

I was asked by the boss to make a whirligig that had a watering can and some flowers. This is the design that I came up with.

The prop drives the watering can using a reduction pulley. The ratio is 3 to 1 which seems to keep the speed of the can within reason. I used oak, redwood, cedar, ash, pine and some maple. Most of it was out of the firewood pile.

Take a look and tell me what you think.

SeYa ....

Frank Chaffee
12-16-2005, 11:14 AM
Wow Bill,

Not only marvelously engineered, but waay coool!

What are your bearing surfaces?

Nice work.

Frank

Kent Parker
12-16-2005, 11:55 AM
Great whirligig !!. These always put a smile on my face. :) Very nice design.

Cheers,

Kent

Brett Baldwin
12-16-2005, 1:15 PM
That's some of the best looking firewood I've ever seen. Great job.

Corey Hallagan
12-16-2005, 1:20 PM
I agree with Kent, those things always make me smile! Nice job!

Corey

Bill Kay
12-17-2005, 8:55 AM
Hi Frank,

After I decide on the size of the drive shaft I visit the local hardware store and buy a foot of plastic tubing that has the right ID. I cut that to short pieces and use them to function as the bearing surface. I could do a drawing it that would help.

SeYa ... Bill

Bernie Weishapl
12-17-2005, 9:03 AM
Love whirligig's Bill. Great job.

John Bailey
12-17-2005, 9:37 AM
Nice job, hope the boss is happy. Looks to me like building another one would be much easier with a new tool!;)

John

Frank Pellow
12-17-2005, 9:53 AM
Great inginuity and it looks good too! Thanks for providing me (and others) with a morning smile.

Frank Chaffee
12-17-2005, 11:11 AM
Hey Bill,

Nice bearing solution. Do you use a rigid tubing like PVC or ABS, or the clear flexible vinyl?

I think we need a drawing of this.

Thanks,

Frank

Did I mention that we *love* pics?

Bill Kay
12-17-2005, 2:41 PM
Hi Frank,

In this case I think it is the type of tubing that is used to hookup ice makers and stuff like that. I'm using 8/32 rod for the shaft and this just stuff seemed to work in this application.

Here is a photo ... Hope it works

SeYa ... Bill