PDA

View Full Version : How good are Northfield bandsaws?

Michael Todrin
10-03-2019, 8:58 PM
I have never seen one in the wild and from what reading and information I can gather they seem like impressive machines. In particular I am looking at the 27 and 32 inch models. I am looking to use a larger bandsaw for resaw and joinery. The resew height is less than a European bandsaw of that size which is fine as I don't have much stock greater than 14-15". Who has or has used a Northfield 27 or 32 and how do you like it? If anyone has also used the Minimax s600 (mm24) how would you compare the two?

Jim Becker
10-04-2019, 9:27 AM
Please clarify...older Northfield or current Northfield? Brand names move around. Kinda different animals... ;)

David Kumm
10-04-2019, 9:38 AM
It is more about cast iron vs steel than Northfield vs others. NF is still in business and the 27" in particular is a nicely designed saw. In the " old days " the Northfield was slightly lighter in castings than an Oliver 217, Tanny PH, Yates Y30 or others. By today's build standards it is very heavy. I'm partial to cast iron with two Olivers, and a Y20 but a well tuned saw that can tension a 1" Trimaster at 30,000 without vibration is good whether steel or cast iron. The cast iron saws used the frame to dampen vibration so the wheels could be lighter. A good steel frame saw will usually run heavy cast iron wheels.

Years ago, when researching a large steel saw to replace my ACM 18", I talked to many people about brands. Often the advise about the steel saw ended with " of course none can compete with a cast iron saw ". I don't know if that is totally true but if the Northfield is well balanced, in good condition, and has at least a 3 hp motor running at 700 or 900 rpm, you can't go wrong./ Dave

Will Boulware
10-04-2019, 9:40 AM
Please clarify...older Northfield or current Northfield? Brand names move around. Kinda different animals... ;)

Not this brand name. They're still the same guys doing the same thing they've always done.

To answer the OP's question, I've seen a 27" model in person and it's truly old-school impressive. They're big old heavy machines made to work long hours every day. That said, nobody exactly complains about the quality of a good S600p either. :)

Michael Todrin
10-04-2019, 12:52 PM
Thanks for your replies everyone. Here is a video tour of the Northfield factory. watch (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z59Kp8SbbfM)

Jim: Even though I have fantasies about a shop full of brand new Northfield machines, I am currently looking at used machines.

Dave: Thank you for your thoughts on cast v. steel saws. Aesthetically I am partial to the cast iron as well and consider the Oliver 217 the Platonic Form of Bandsawness. I think I can actually fit the Northfield 27 in my shop, though I may have to cut out a section of exterior wall to get it in.

Will: I appreciate the first hand insights on the 27. I am sure I would be happy with either saw.

Michael

Darcy Warner
10-04-2019, 1:29 PM

Northfield is Northfield. same machines, same building, same family for almost a century.

Darcy Warner
10-04-2019, 1:31 PM
They are good saws, but I think you can find something a bit more appealing to look at with a bit more under the guides for around the same price.

Jim Becker
10-04-2019, 1:31 PM
Northfield is Northfield. same machines, same building, same family for almost a century.
Good to know. Perhaps I was confusing them with another brand name...so many "old names" went to new companies over the years!

Darcy Warner
10-04-2019, 1:56 PM
Good to know. Perhaps I was confusing them with another brand name...so many "old names" went to new companies over the years!

There was Northtech and Norfield, both similar names.

Michael Todrin
10-04-2019, 2:22 PM
They are good saws, but I think you can find something a bit more appealing to look at with a bit more under the guides for around the same price.

Darcy, do you have recommendations for something with more under the guards?

Michael

Patrick Kane
10-04-2019, 8:40 PM
Can’t comment on the older cast iron saws—ceilings are too short to own one or else I would—but I can comment on resaw height. I have used 18-19.5” plenty of times on my saw. I would be disappointed if I was limited to 12-14”.

Matt Day
10-04-2019, 10:32 PM
Jim Becker doesn’t know what he’s talking about?! What?! Are you okay Jim? Lol

You are probably thinking about Oliver. Pisses me off ever time I see an ad for “Oliver” and is blue. Why not pick a new name, it’s not the same stuff?!

Jim Becker
10-05-2019, 10:00 AM
Selling and buying known brand names is a big money thing sometimes, especially for a name that has a lot of "goodwill" and recognization. How long that goodwill lasts, however, is up to the new owner. If they shirk quality, customer service, etc., as compared to the earlier/original incarnation of the name, it will not be long until their only customers are "uninformed" customers. Unfortunately, there are a lot of those out there...

Bill Dufour
10-05-2019, 10:56 AM
Recently i got caught here when someone asked for information about a "northwoods" machine. A common made in China machine not a Northfield.
I notice harbor Freight will invent a name similar to a old line good brand name. After a few years, when folks realize it is just made in china junk, they change the color and invent a new name.
I think their newest brand Bauer, is supposed to be mistaken for Bosch etc.
Bill D

Brian Holcombe
10-05-2019, 11:16 AM
Pretty sure Northfeild still offers replacement parts for older machines.

Darcy Warner
10-05-2019, 5:28 PM
Pretty sure Northfeild still offers replacement parts for older machines.

They should have almost anything needed.

Matt Tebo
10-05-2019, 5:28 PM
I have a Northfield 36" deluxe bandsaw and it cuts very well. It has a 15hp motor, belt driven to provide ~5000fpm blade speeds, excellent for resawing. I bought it used with only 2 hrs on it, so it is in like new condition. It has the power feeder Northfield sells on it, and I added the hand resaw fence Northfield makes as well. It will resaw whatever you feed through it, and it will never slow down during a cut. It is vibration free, and I have nothing bad to say about it. I like the large table on the deluxe bandsaw, I think its 42" square. It allows you to have adequate support for scroll type cuts of almost size and shape object.

Northfield can supply parts for just about any vintage of their machines and you will not find any company in any industry willing to help you like Northfield in my experience. The owner, Jeff, is very honest about their equipment, willing to tell you machines to avoid, machines that are good to buy, and they keep track of all parts ever sold for all of their machines. This gives you the ability to see what someone has replaced in the past, is an indication of machine use/abuse, etc.

Matt

Darcy Warner
10-05-2019, 7:04 PM
I have a Northfield 36" deluxe bandsaw and it cuts very well. It has a 15hp motor, belt driven to provide ~5000fpm blade speeds, excellent for resawing. I bought it used with only 2 hrs on it, so it is in like new condition. It has the power feeder Northfield sells on it, and I added the hand resaw fence Northfield makes as well. It will resaw whatever you feed through it, and it will never slow down during a cut. It is vibration free, and I have nothing bad to say about it. I like the large table on the deluxe bandsaw, I think its 42" square. It allows you to have adequate support for scroll type cuts of almost size and shape object.

Northfield can supply parts for just about any vintage of their machines and you will not find any company in any industry willing to help you like Northfield in my experience. The owner, Jeff, is very honest about their equipment, willing to tell you machines to avoid, machines that are good to buy, and they keep track of all parts ever sold for all of their machines. This gives you the ability to see what someone has replaced in the past, is an indication of machine use/abuse, etc.

Matt

One of the reasons I like buying NF stuff. Sure, parts aren't cheap, but they have parts and getting to hear any of Jeff's knowledge is well worth it. I am a Unipoint aholic.

Jeff Bartley
10-05-2019, 7:55 PM
+1 to everything Darcy said, and I'll add: You're guaranteed a great conversation with Jeff. I'm still bummed about passing on a 20" Northfield bandsaw a couple years ago.

Edward Dyas
10-05-2019, 10:47 PM
I have never seen one in the wild and from what reading and information I can gather they seem like impressive machines. In particular I am looking at the 27 and 32 inch models. I am looking to use a larger bandsaw for resaw and joinery. The resew height is less than a European bandsaw of that size which is fine as I don't have much stock greater than 14-15". Who has or has used a Northfield 27 or 32 and how do you like it? If anyone has also used the Minimax s600 (mm24) how would you compare the two?I would trust anything made by Northfield. Chances are with the exception of maybe wiring or safety equipment the saws are made identical to saws made 50 years ago. They are still in business and still making the same parts if you manage to break something. I have a Northfield shaper and a jointer which are cast iron all the way to the floor like real machine companies used to do.